• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

need gas tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinks

Reaction score
Well after cleaning out my tank with muriatic acid & pressure washing it, I'm still getting flakes. Yamaha wants $353 Canadian & 2 weeks. I found some on ebay for $199 + ups + $60 shipping , that's around $379 Canadian. that dollar exchange is a killer !! any one got a good clean used one for a good price ??

What about a sealer/liner like Red Kote or similar?

Isnt muriatic acid was corrosive to metals? Distant memory here but I thought it was safe only for rubberized pool paint and things like that.

What about a sealer/liner like Red Kote or similar?

Isnt muriatic acid was corrosive to metals? Distant memory here but I thought it was safe only for rubberized pool paint and things like that.
I don't think it hurts metal- I use it for controlling ph level in swimming pools and acid washing grout on tile floors. Heals cuts in 24 hours too.

well life just showed its ugly side......max is on hold and so has the spending. Our new Government has just decided to SLASH of bunch of programs,....that means my wifes job !! Oh boy, that's $3800 a month gone. What to do................. I'm going for a nap.

I went & picked up 4 gals white vinegar ,..filled it to the brim and we will check it in a day or 2. Its gotta work........right ?

if you add salt to the vinegar it will work. Be warned, I had my tank spotless after a 3 week salt and vinegar soak, but the rust just keeps showing up in the tank. I siphoned the tank at least 4 times, more rust shows up. Enough rust to plug the fuel pickup line. Finally just bought a new tank, life's to short. A good used one might have the same rust issues.

well life just showed its ugly side......max is on hold and so has the spending. Our new Government has just decided to SLASH of bunch of programs,....that means my wifes job !! Oh boy, that's $3800 a month gone. What to do................. I'm going for a nap.

I went & picked up 4 gals white vinegar ,..filled it to the brim and we will check it in a day or 2. Its gotta work........right ?

I'm sorry, thats a bit of a blow, well now you cant justify a new bike so you have to fix the tank and keep on suffering with that old bike. Male justification pattern is an art but really sorry about the negative news.

What about one of those micro-something or other fuel filters, can be cleaned and reused. Used to get them for the ol' VeeDubs which most all have rusty tanks after several decades. I had one in my 59 Ghia and I had to clean it out often for the first 20/tanks or so but it seemed to catch everything. I doubt the Solex is as touchy as the max carbs thouh. But more food for thought on a cost effective solution.

Im at work till the 8th but when I get home I can get the details of the filter if you like.

I dropped the gas tank off at the Rad-shop. he said it looked pretty good. Said he would acid wash & steam wash it for me. He also said to always run premium fuel with low ethanol & when stored over the winter to put a tiny bit of 2-stroke oil in and it wont rust. he said he's seen gas tanks off of 2 stroke bikes that have sat for 20 years and were very usable.
Plus I picked up 2 WIX micron filters,..he had other filters cut apart so you could see the difference. The Fram filter I had was Junk.
1 filter at tank & 1 after fuel pump. should catch the nasty's.

Good advice, except for running premium.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

tank woes

Well a new tank is on order,..don't know when it will get here,...its on "back order" . he said 2 weeks to 1 month. But in the meantime .................I took the tank to the rad shop,.....what a nightmare ! He acid cleaned it and DIDNT neutralize it and it sat for 2 days. You should have seen it !! Totally rusted inside. I cam home....threw the tank across the lawn and shook my head in disbelief. Later that night my buddy came over , looked at the tank laying in the grass and laughed. He worked at the Pulp & paper mill before it closed. He said he had some of the acid cleaner they used to clean the pipes with. He brought me 1/2 a cup of green smelly cleaner,..said "pour it in & pour it out immediately". So I poured it in the tank.....seconds later the tank was SMOKING LOL. I grabbed the garden hose and flushed it. I looked inside and it was shiny as a Dime only after a few seconds. Man that stuff is wicked ! For industrial use only. So put some gas in and shook it....poured it out and it was crud Free. Never seen anything work that fast & do such a fantastic job.

Make sure you get yourself a tank coating system, or you'll be in that same boat (after you've spent all that $$ on a new tank).. That added alcohol to our fuel, draws in water from the air. When that hits your metal tank, it starts that rusting crap all over again. I hate that damn Ethanol.

I've used this with great results.. You have MUST be patient and not skip any steps, especially when drying the tank between steps. Took me almost an hour to get all moisture out the tank, using heat gun and air cooling, before the last coating step.

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/cycle-tank-sealer-kit.html

Good luck

Strong acids and strong alkali solutions behave like that. I hope you didn't pour the residue down the drain, you could be damaging your drain line.

Well. don't know if this helps but i am from Ontario and have a spare tank if need be.
I believe it is oo a 04
pm if interested

Jinks did you happen to get the name of the product he used. I have a friend here who could sure use some for a restoration on a vmax tank.

No, it was poured from a different container......I'll ask him tonight.

Surprise !!!
I figured I would put 1/2 a tea spoon of 2stroke oil per tank to keep away the rust. Its not even noticeable in the color. Now,.....the interesting part......I got more power ..???
At first I thought it was all in my head. The bike had faster cleaner throttle response and seem to pull harder mid range.
So I went for a ride with some of the same guys I rode with before. It wasn't long before the same guy that raced me before tried again. "1500 Vulcan". At that point I knew some thing was up,......I pulled away a lot faster. I asked him how his bike was running,.he said great. "yours sure seems to be running well tonight' he said.
So I did some research on adding 2stroke oil to 4stroke engines........ It raises octane !! A lot of bike and car racers use it, & it stops knocking in high compression engines.
I'm telling you first hand...it adds power. I don't know what ratio I would be running @ 1/2 tea spoon per tank...500 to 1 LOL. They also said to use "low ash, out board oil."

Latest posts

Back