need help carbs bike wont run without choke dies with throttle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewb2332

Reaction score
So I just got my 85 vmax and I took apart the carbs and cleaned them, and that finally got the bike to run but only with the choke. So I was searching around for solutions and found the shotgun method so I tried that out, it kind of worked and by that I mean it runs only sometimes without the choke, but when it actually does run it is very rough. Also when I try to give it throttle any throttle and I mean any it just dies instantly, also I don't know if this helps but I put my hand over each carb and the top left is sucking really hard while the others not nearly as much. If anybody has a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

Get your carbs back off and have them professionally cleaned throughout, then bench synced before reinstalling them so you can actually sync them & adjust the A/F screws with the bike idling.

Float levels are critical. +1 sync them. Make sure the carbs are fully seated. Inspect all rubber boots while the carbs are off. V-boost included. Don't expect the bike to run well with the air box removed.

Last edited:
In addition to what Jim and Steve-O mentioned, the Vmax doesn't like to run very well without the air box, or even without just the lid.
You can run it without the air box and lid if you have air correctors installed which you would only normally install during a Stage 7/ Morley Muscle jet kit upgrade.

Ok thanks everyone I'll take them back off clean them more bench sync them then put them back on and put the air box on if it still doesn't work then I'll take them in to a shop but that is my last option I want to do

You don't want to take them into just any shop, if it comes to that, as most don't know diddly about Vmax carbs, and you could end up with a mess on your hands. Instead, box em up, if it comes to that, and send them to one of the two carb gurus here on this board. That's where you'll get the best rework of the carbs for a lot less $$ and/or headache.

This time, when you get the carbs torn down, pay extra close attention to the jet blocks located at the bottom of the carbs. Once you have a jet block in hand, you can remove the two jets in each, and peer through them to be sure you have a clear passageway. Those tiny holes are the #1 biggest cause of guy's carb problems, and are very easy to become clogged. Depending upon what's clogging them, the air pressure used to perform the "shotgun routine" won't always break the gunk loose, and therefore, you have to break the carbs down and run a wire through to clear the debris.

I cleaned them and then tried putting the air box on and now I can actually rev the throttle without it bogging down but is running rough I'll take them apart again and clean the jet blocks hopefully that helps

I cleaned them and then tried putting the air box on and now I can actually rev the throttle without it bogging down but is running rough I'll take them apart again and clean the jet blocks hopefully that helps

Soooooooooooooo...........you didn't clean the jet blocks/jets the first TWO TIMES you cleaned your carbs? :ummm: Just exactly what else inside there did you find to clean.....I mean, after all, that jet block and it's jets, is over 1/2 the working innards of the carbs. You also would need to disassemble and check out the condition of your coasting enrichener diaphrams the next time you have it apart. Passages in there also need to breathe properly, and the diaphrams can get old/worn out, especially if you have sprayed too much carb cleaner down too many externally accessible passages (don't ask me how I know that one :)). Then of course, there's the large diaphrams with springs accessible from outside the carbs w/o removing them from the bike. Those have to be in good condition and w/o any holes or tears, in order to make smooth transitions at different throttle conditions.

I did I just shot carb cleaner through them I didn't take out the jet, I just did a quick clean,I'll remove the jets and get them as clean as possible, this is my second bike I've ever had to work on, I had a cb900c and that was rougher then this bike but by far easier to clean up and fix

You'll get er done. Just stick with it, post pics, ask questions, etc. Before you know it, you'll be another Vmax carb guru here.

Back