Need help deciding on rim

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckzx9

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a old kosman I think 18" rear rim. I have a chance to get an almost identical match for the front but it's a 17" front rim. Am I going to have any issues with this setup? Is there anyone with this setup that can advice me what to do ? My concerns are speedometer handling ect. I'm 6'0 and my bike is perfect height for me right now. I guess a little lower wouldn't hurt me.
Thank you in advance for your help !!!!!!

I know you texted me about it but wanted my thoughts out there too incase they are not accurate.

RPMs per 'true' speed will not be effected probably since that 18" rim will be pretty close to stock I bet.

Your speed may show 'higher' per RPMs until you get a thundercat speedo to fix that issue. I know dannymax has done it.

I am not a bike engineer but not sure if the 17" rim would effect anything different than a ~1" drop in the forks would?

Not sure what the 17"front/18"rear combo tire situations are. Shinko has 2 available with 110-130 front, but only a 170 rear (which might actually fit perfect on that rear rim):
http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-006-podium-motorcycle-tire

or a 120 front and a 180 on the back:
http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-003-stealth-motorcycle-tire

Do you know the width of the front rim?

would give u an idea of which tire size(s) you could go with.

Speedometer can be corrected by swapping the speedo drive itself or the drive internals from another bike with the wheel size you intend to use. Another option would be a digital speedo.

I see this posing no issues with handling IMO. If you are going to run a 120/70/17 up front it will be 2.2" shorter than the stock size. This will drop the front end 1.1". Many vmaxers run with a lowered front end and say that it helps with handling. If you already have lowered forks, I would say you need to remove the spacers to put the forks at stock height and you will be good to go.

Your fender will need to be spaced down from the fork brace to make things look right. You may need to refinish the front rim to your liking. You may want to invest in new bearings and seals for the front rim before you install.

Upsides to this rim that I see are
1. Lighter
2. Better radial tire selection vs. the OEM rim
3. It will match the rear

Downsides
1. Cost
2. Time to get the details squared away

Speedometer can be corrected by swapping the speedo drive itself or the drive internals from another bike with the wheel size you intend to use. Another option would be a digital speedo.

I see this posing no issues with handling IMO. If you are going to run a 120/70/17 up front it will be 2.2" shorter than the stock size. This will drop the front end 1.1". Many vmaxers run with a lowered front end and say that it helps with handling. If you already have lowered forks, I would say you need to remove the spacers to put the forks at stock height and you will be good to go.

Your fender will need to be spaced down from the fork brace to make things look right. You may need to refinish the front rim to your liking. You may want to invest in new bearings and seals for the front rim before you install.

Upsides to this rim that I see are
1. Lighter
2. Better radial tire selection vs. the OEM rim
3. It will match the rear

Downsides
1. Cost
2. Time to get the details squared away

Thanks Mike. I plan on installing progressive springs in the front but I will leave at stock height. I want to extend the swing arm over the winter would that help or hurt things in your opinion? I want to extend it 3" and it will be braced at same time maybe knotched as well.
Thanks
Mark

Ps I'm not worried about getting it done before this riding season is over. This will be a fall project that Steve O is gonna help me with. Actually Garrett also ;) so I'm not in a rush.

Thanks Mike. I plan on installing progressive springs in the front but I will leave at stock height. I want to extend the swing arm over the winter would that help or hurt things in your opinion? I want to extend it 3" and it will be braced at same time maybe knotched as well.
Thanks
Mark

Ps I'm not worried about getting it done before this riding season is over. This will be a fall project that Steve O is gonna help me with. Actually Garrett also ;) so I'm not in a rush.

i don't think the extension would hurt anything and also you could always put the rear on this season.

i don't think you'll need a notch on your swingarm for that sized rim, but maybe.

If you notch your swingarm get the Shinko verge 200/50-18 for the rear and I think you can get one for the front too in a 17" and do just like you said and leave it stock height...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

i don't think the extension would hurt anything and also you could always put the rear on this season.

i don't think you'll need a notch on your swingarm for that sized rim, but maybe.

Yeah I am hoping the extended swing arm will help not hurt with the 17" rim. I just don't want to rush. Steve has to powder oat them both and then it's just you putting tires on them and hoping we have no problems with offset right?

I was hoping someone on here was running this set up and could ease my mind about this. Starting to think I should've just went with the maxdaddy now put a tire on it and bolted it up. It would match my front and it's also an 18" front and rear :bang head:

If you notch your swingarm get the Shinko verge 200/50-18 for the rear and I think you can get one for the front too in a 17" and do just like you said and leave it stock height...

a 200 shinko won't fit on a 4 or even 4.5" rim unfortunately.

Yeah I am hoping the extended swing arm will help not hurt with the 17" rim. I just don't want to rush. Steve has to powder oat them both and then it's just you putting tires on them and hoping we have no problems with offset right?

I was hoping someone on here was running this set up and could ease my mind about this. Starting to think I should've just went with the maxdaddy now put a tire on it and bolted it up. It would match my front and it's also an 18" front and rear :bang head:

no, you're doing the right thing. if there was ONE hiccup with the maxdaddy you woulda not been happy w/ mr. ufo i bet.

Thanks
Mark

IMO extending the arm will not do anything to aid in handling. It will help to prevent wheelies though. Some guys say that extending it has a negative effect on cornering capability. I can't say that I've noticed. The way I see it, extending is mainly cosmetic, unless you're into drag racing then it may help on your launches. Also note that if you move your shocks back 3", you will lower the rear of the bike a good bit. I like to try to improve on the OEM front/rear weight bias. I make sure my front was lowered more than the rear. Now that my bike is lowered, I'm having issues with scaping the exhaust on the ground. Mainly because I am running an old style hindle with front header pipes that are stacked under the frame rail. I think if i had a different exhaust it wouldn't be such and issue. As it is right now, I am not nearly as aggressive when I go around a right hand sweeper as I am a left due to the exhaust!

The swingarm bracing on the other hand makes a huge difference and really helps tighten things up when used with solid mounts or frame braces.

Can't go wrong with the deal you got on the rear wheel. You could mount it and run around like that till you make a decision on how to move forward. If you decide to go the UFO direction I am sure you could sell the rear you just bought for as much, or even more than your purchase price.

The swingarm bracing on the other hand makes a huge difference and really helps tighten things up when used with solid mounts or frame braces.

Can't go wrong with the deal you got on the rear wheel. You could mount it and run around like that till you make a decision on how to move forward. If you decide to go the UFO direction I am sure you could sell the rear you just bought for as much, or even more than your purchase price.

Yeah I agree I'm definitely bracing swing arm. I have a nice over racing frame brace already on the bike. Your right I got rim cheap enough. Just wish the rim Sean had was 18 cause this thread wouldn't even exist. I think I'm just gonna grab it he's giving me a great deal on it also. :biglaugh:
Thanks for all your advice. I'm not great at making decisions my wife yells at me all the time lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I just extended/braced my swingarm 3" but moved the lower shock mount points ahead 2.5" and with my 13" shocks I believe I lost around a inch of clearance, maybe less. I have my forks lowered 2" which I really like the stance my bike has. I am running 18"wheel/ tire (shinko 011 verge) front and rear. I can echo Mike's commets on the handling with these changes.

Didn't realize it was only a 4" rim, sorry....

Latest posts

Back