NEED HELP! Electrical gremlin

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A schematic or diagram would be would be great tried to download a few but wouldn't open. All the fuses check good, all the coils are getting power with key on. Power to the solenoid on both sides but appears weak just using a test light. Can cross the solenoid and she will start with gas sprayed in carbs. Otherwise nothing no fuel pump, V boost headlight or ignition.

You say power appears weak. Are you using a test light of DVOM? Test lights in my opinion are great just to check to see if there is power. Not to tell you how much there is. I would want to know voltage going in and voltage coming out. A wire can look visibly good but be deteriorated inside causing power issues.

If you dont have a DVOM, I would suggest getting one. You dont need a Fluke, buy dont get a Harbor Freight either. Since I was a mechanic by trade, I have a couple tool truck meters and Flukes. Expect a somewhat decent one to run in the $100 range.

Ok, so providing that the harness isn't jacked to pieces. Follow the red wire from the battery (#34) to the main fuse (#3), then to the switch. After the switch, it should be brown to the fuse block. The wire coming from the ignition circuit is red with a white stripe (red/white). After the kill switch, it's red/black until it gets out of the safety relay to the starter relay.

After the fuse block, red/white goes to the coils and hot side of the starter relay. If you don't have 12v on the red/white of the starter relay, there's something not made in the safety circuit. This includes the clutch lever, neutral, and kickstand switches. If any of these are not made good, no start. The clutch lever switch should have power running (black/yellow to blue/yellow wires) through it from the starter safety relay and go to ground through the kickstand switch.

Attached schematic should be for your year, but I don't know for certain since this is for an E model year and yours is a P model year.
Screenshot_20190831-191435.png

As others have said, get one thing at a time. The fuel pump, v boost, and ignition all run on the same fuse, so it's confusing that it runs, but the fuel pump isn't running. I would begin by getting the starter circuit checked out because it's the simplest. If you have brake lights, then you might have a bad horn. If it runs then someone might have disconnected to v boost controller. The headlight comes direct from the key switch, so that might be a bad fuse or someone put a switch on it to turn the headlight off.

Did you figure out what was the issue? Please tell me is just the battery.

Back