NEED HELP! Engine loses all power in gear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've finally got my bike back running after a long hiatus. It's running rough but running. I tried taking it around the neighborhood but as soon as I put it in first gear it loses all power and will die if I don't keep giving it extreme throttle. Also even when starting it the aftermarket tach (Autometer Sport Comp II) doesn't show signal until around 3000 rpm. All used to work great. It acts like an ignition problem. Not sure if anyone has experienced this but it acts the exact same as if it were in gear with the kickstand down but does not completely kill it.

Now what I have done so no one suggest something I've tried.
It has all fluids changed including new gas. I pulled the carbs and completely cleaned them (done this enough I know what to look for and what to do).
I've tried disconnecting the tach to no avail.
I've changed out the Dyna 3000 with the stock ignition to no avail.
I originally had to replace my front left cylinder coil because it was dead. That was the original issue when I parked it. All cylinders are firing now because all exhaust get hot.
Tried bypassing the kickstand switch to no avail.
Tested the kill switch and it does what it's supposed to.

It seems there used to be something else that could cause this but I can't remember what? It's sat too long and I want to ride!

I looked for this when you complained, "I got no-responses last time I asked."

A weak battery can cause problems with your operation. I'd charge the battery and have it load-tested.

And, grounds, always check grounds. That means, disconnecting them, polishing them shiny-bright, and a smear of dielectric grease to forestall subsequent oxidation/corrosion. The main one is by the right rear engine side cover/oil filler.

Where were you storing it? Someplace where critters could have crawled into the exhaust and packed it full of nuts & debris? Or their own carcasses?

You already cleaned the carbs, let's assume that you did it correctly. Did you remove and inspect the CV diaphragms for correct placement, rips, tears, holes, rot?

You already swapped-out the CDI for one of good known operating quality, (I presume it was good).

Did you not touch either the high tension spark plug lead, nor the M-F plug for the right front coil? The reason I'm saying this is that the LF coil feeds power to the RF cylinder; the RF coil feeds power to the LF cylinder. I doubt that the bike would start and run with those swapped, though.

What about the cyl head passageways to the combustion chambers? Any obstructions in-there (those pesky rodents)?

Back