Need help finding parts to buy !

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtom

Reaction score
Hello , I just recently got an ‘85 vmax 1200 with 45,000 miles on it. The previous owner didn’t exactly baby it but it still runs and is rideable .
I’m hoping with some TLC and a few new parts I can get it into a better condition.

Hello , I just recently got an ‘85 vmax 1200 with 45,000 miles on it. The previous owner didn’t exactly baby it but it still runs and is rideable .
I’m hoping with some TLC and a few new parts I can get it into a better condition.
The biggest issue it currently has is that it slips out of third .
If anybody out there has knowledge on the parts to buy for that and where I’d appreciate the help .

Parts also needed ;
-clutch master cylinder
- slip on exhaust
(Preferably something not insanely long)

I do plan on making it as wicked as possible. So any tips/advice/insights on the bike and what I should or shouldn’t be doing to it mechanically would also be appreciated!!

Sean Morley [email protected]

CaptainKyle [email protected]

Parts, services, advice.

(2) New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

(2) How to: Fix your Vmax's low voltage or charging problems | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

My advice on the 'as wicked as possible' is to first get everything operating properly, and reliably. Get used to it, then plan what you are hoping to achieve, and your budget. It sounds like you're probably gonna-need-to split the cases, 2nd gear usually gives issues before any other gear does. Consider an undercut gearbox/gearset for better shifting and longer use without problems.

The #1 change you can make, in my opinion, is to get a replacement rear wheel, at a minimum, and to switch to radial tires. That will mostly handle a lot of the VMax issues related to handling, especially if you intend to see triple digits frequently. Your cornering will also be more confidence-inspiring. I suggest you use the 'advanced search' in the upper right-hand corner (click-on 'search,' then 'advanced search' and use a variety of simple search words, like radial, radials, 17" wheels, 18" wheels, etc.) and read about that in-which you're interested.

I'd buy some HH pads for the front calipers, for better stopping. If you're planning to hold-onto the bike, I'd probably buy a replacement new front brake master cylinder, or clutch master cylinder, the clutch has a slave cylinder on the left side of the engine cases, which should be checked for leakage and corrosion if you're servicing/replacing the master cylinder. Sure, there are rebuild kits for the master cylinders and the slave cylinder, but I always feel much-better about hammering on my bike with a new replacement instead of a rebuild. Yes, it's cheaper to rebuild, but consider what's at-stake.

(2) Clutch slave cylinder replacement | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

(2) Leaky clutch master cylinder | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Last edited:
thank you !!
Lol “wicked” was too vague but yes I mean as functional and dependable as I can get it haha .
Much appreciated!

The #1 change you can make, in my opinion, is to get a replacement rear wheel, at a minimum, and to switch to radial tires. That will mostly handle a lot of the VMax issues related to handling, especially if you intend to see triple digits frequently. Your cornering will also be more confidence-inspiring.

OK stupid question time. Tyres have been discussed many times but I wasn't paying attention.

Rear tyre Is 150/90 15, so radial tyres are not available? Whenever I've bought tyres, I don't recall seeing tyre type mentioned (cross ply vs radial), so how does one tell?

OK stupid question time. Tyres have been discussed many times but I wasn't paying attention.

Rear tyre Is 150/90 15, so radial tyres are not available? Whenever I've bought tyres, I don't recall seeing tyre type mentioned (cross ply vs radial), so how does one tell?
The letter 'R' will appear on the tire label before the tire diameter: 230/55Z-R17 is a 230mm width, tire height is 55% of tire width of 230mm; Z is 150+ mph speed rating; then R for radial, and the tire/wheel size in inches. If the construction is bias-ply, there will be no R. There is also a two digit code to indicate load capacity compared to other tires. A higher # will mean, it is a higher-load rated tire. Refer to the chart below.

How To Read Motorcycle Tires | Motorcycle Tire Codes | JPCycles.com

There used-to be nothing in 15" radial tires for motorcycles, now there are a few scooters using a 15" radial rear tire, but they don't have the V speed-rating (to 149 mph).

Last edited:
My bad, I should have Googled it but always thought R was shorthand for radius........... which it isn't (it's diameter, doh)

Maybe you can chat-up some cute bird at an event, and help her to get some good treads on her ride, with your knowledge.

AFAIK, engine has to be taken apart to fix your gear problem.Cost of this repair is probably equal to value of the bike in good condition. If you cannot fix it yourself, call local bike shop and ask how much to repair. If price is very high, you can:
1.ride it as is
2. Sell it as is and get another bike.

Only Yamaha XS1100 and Harley transmission can be fixed w/o taking engine apart. (???????????)

Latest posts

Back