Need help in Phoenix area

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
I blew a hole (don't ask how because I have no clue lol) in the top side of the transmission case. I've pulled the motor before to install Sean's overdrive 5th gear and vowed never to do that again, especially now that I don't have space or the right tools.

Does anyone know where or who I could take it to in the Phoenix area to put new cases on for me and make sure everything is ok? I used to know a guy that I'd trust to do it but he fell of the grid and changed his cell number.

Last time I saw that happen was when the case itself failed under a hard 1-2 shift with very sticky tires and a super strong clutch.

I'm still on a stock clutch and this happened when I was cruising gently, no hard shifts or launches.

0C78D949-AE30-4635-AD11-A642CDEED39D_zpsqcsciboc.jpg

I've thought about buying a new Vmax and just swapping all my parts over but the problem I have with that would be giving up my overdrive 5th gear. I don't know that I can live without that.

I've thought about buying a new Vmax and just swapping all my parts over but the problem I have with that would be giving up my overdrive 5th gear. I don't know that I can live without that.

Check out that one from Mustang Mike, on Craigslist. Or get a motor from Sean.
Steve-o

Who the heck is Mustang Mike??? Can you share the URL for the ad you're talking about?

No idea what the heck would cause that. But if there isn't anything wrong with the trans that send deris out that way then i'd just weld it over and call it a day. You could even JB weld something on over that hole since there isn't any pressurized oil in that area.

See that's the thing. I ride the bike for at least 3 miles with it this way and there were no discernible issues. I'm afraid though that if I just JB Weld the hole shut that there'll be something more wrong inside the tranny that will cause an accident somehow.

Usually the trans is fragile enough that any binding just causes it to disintegrate. But, anything is possible? I've seen an almost new vmax develop a pin hole leak in that approx area years ago from what appeared to be a poor casting or casting flaw. Just sealed that one up and called it a day.

Form a piece of screen to fit the hole and fill it with JB Weld. Make sure to give the edges a coat to cover the 2 parts. Once you have it leveled the best you can a sander or Dremel to smooth it when hardened. Paint it with something like an AR-15 Paint Pen....... Also great for touch up for our engines and Etc, comes in gloss or satin black.......

Form a piece of screen to fit the hole and fill it with JB Weld. Make sure to give the edges a coat to cover the 2 parts. Once you have it leveled the best you can a sander or Dremel to smooth it when hardened.

I'm not sure I follow. What kind of screen are you talking about? Do you put the JBW on this screen first and then lay it on the engine and JBW it to the engine?

Sorry, my brain is a little slow...

I'm not sure I follow. What kind of screen are you talking about? Do you put the JBW on this screen first and then lay it on the engine and JBW it to the engine?

Sorry, my brain is a little slow...

I'd be most interested in finding out what caused the hole??

As far as the patch goes, I'd use aluminum mesh. An old window screen could work. If your not a pack rat like me and don't have misc garbage your *might* need someday hiding in the floor joists above the basement you can from some aluminum mesh next to the bondo @ the auto parts store or maybe even in the drywall isle at the home improvement place.

I wish I knew why it happened. I can't imagine that anything could have broken inside the trans to cause the hole to bust open, because then I likely wouldn't have been able to ride for as many miles as I did afterwards.

I wish I knew why it happened. I can't imagine that anything could have broken inside the trans to cause the hole to bust open, because then I likely wouldn't have been able to ride for as many miles as I did afterwards.

Why it happened would concern me to, especially going around a sweeping corner at 7k rpm. Maybe grab a dremel, cut and shape a slug to fit the hole and as stated, slather it in with JB Weld and ride like an ol' lady for a while to make sure its solid. I love JB-Weld, it has it's place in the world of hot oily pieces.

I wondered about that, but I think JB Weld is a better option because the area I need to fix is pretty cramped. Might not be able to get FiberFix in there.

I would drain the oil in a clean pan and see if there is any debris in it. Then stick a scope in the hole/drain/fill and see if you can detect any loose chunks.

Back