Need help on shift segment removal!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmcandrew

Reaction score
Ok, followed the instructions about shift segment update and all was going well until the removal of the torqx bolt holding the segment on. I striped it and drilled off the head to relieve pressure. I figured once the head of the bolt was gone the sement would come right off, but it will not. The oem diagram shows the bolt going all the way thru the segment...new segment is clearly not threaded. What am i missing????

First post since most self repairs go so well...not sure what's the deal with this one???

Thanks

Frank

The segment will come off and is not threaded. The drum is threaded. You will probably need to take the preload/detent mechanism loose to get it off.

Sean

Sean,

Not sure what you mean by the drum? I see the segment and the star behind it then a bearing and i'm guessing that assebly bolts onto something (drum???). Will it hurt much to tap it with a hammer to get it loose??

Thanks for the quick respone!!

Frank

Still stuck, i'm stumped.

How long is that torqx bolt...how far can i drill. It must be seized somehow?!?!?!?

Ok, just got it off...the segment had seized onto the torqx bolt. Thanks Sean for info...gave me a little more confidence to "muscle" it off!!!

Attached is a picture of what you are probably looking at.

The threaded drum starts behind the 'Star segment shown in 2nd picture.

Gary

Attachments

• DSC01323.JPG
    DSC01323.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC01304.JPG
    DSC01304.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC01321.JPG
    DSC01321.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 59
Glad you got it out without too much fuss. I went out and bought a new torx bit just to avoid stripping it when I did mine. They're in there very tight as I'm sure you noticed.

Not sure having a new bit would have done the trick. Both the bolt and the rear of the segment had this green adheasive (sort of like lock-tight) holding it all together. Almost like melted plasic to be honest with you.

I've been in a few motors and never seen this stuff before...

No worries...all's well that ends well!!!

hi. i am doing this same job on my 1st gen Venture. I am replacing original segement with the newer one. my question is should the cam shaft assembly turn freely once you have the new segement on. it seems to only turn so far and then stops. should it turn full circle?

It will NOT turn all the way but will rotate a long ways around.

Sean

Not sure having a new bit would have done the trick. Both the bolt and the rear of the segment had this green adheasive (sort of like lock-tight) holding it all together. Almost like melted plasic to be honest with you.

I've been in a few motors and never seen this stuff before...

No worries...all's well that ends well!!!
Are you using a hand impact driver Frank? Some heat from a mini torch is helpfull if that's locltite on there too.
Steve

Back