Need Help.. out of ideas

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX2006

Reaction score
Good evening Vmaxers

I had a 97 years ago and decided to make the jump again (sold the 97 10 yrs ago). So I found a 2006 with only 4500 miles w/stage 1 kit installed and it was spit shine clean.. everything was, engines, carbs (outside) and pipes. Thought I found a gold mine. So the seller takes it out and calls me up saying its running a little rich. I still wanted to see it so I drove up and he let me take it out.. these are the symptoms, WOT runs like hell.. but using a slow pull of throttle(without opening diaphrams) and it sputters, backfires and backfires up into the breather. So I have read everything from multiple sites about how to clean the carbs (peashooter,shotgun) and have done them a couple of times. I have moved the mix needle out from 1 to 3 full turns and no joy, put in new spark plugs.. no joy, running cleaner through gas.. no joy. even when I unplug the vacuum tubes of the stage 1 kit, it still does the exact same issue (slow pull on throttle bogs down and stalls, unless I blip it then it will run up, but if i hold a solid RPM it spits and backfires. I now have removed the carbs from the bike and cracked up the backside showing the float valve and check the main jet(I think thats it) and everything looks perfect. So I am out of ideas any help would be much appreciated!! Oh and when i bought it last week the owner agreed to take it to the shop before cash left my hand.. the shop stated that one of float bowls was gummed up and riding it would fix the issue or pay them 600 dollars to clean carbs. I figured i would just run the heck out of it for a week and it would start getting better.. well it got worse.

forgot.. its got a morleys stage 1 with full morleys dual exhaust. Was in shop for a carb clean last winter, owner said it ran perfect after that cleaning. Owner didnt ride it for the last 6 months

Also I have just removed them from the bike.. I have gone thru 2 of them (main jets) and everything looks perfect. I will go thru the other 2 tomorrow. I was really hoping to find a clogged jet.

Last edited:
one2dmax is the guy to talk to he doesn't sell a Stage 1 kit, only morley's muscle jet kit or stage 7 but if you email him he can help you figure out what you really have and where to go from here

Thanks, I will give him a shout. I just didnt want to pay to have my carbs cleaned to find no issues.

Sean is a great guy not just lookin to make a buck off you he'll steer you straight

Have you checked the diaphrams for cracks? I

+1, hold them up to a light. Main jets seldom clog. The jet blocks need to come off and be disassembled and cleaned,along with the rest of the carb bodies. That shop that told you it would fix itself? There is a better chance of the economy fixing itself first. Danny at BRC will get them done right. Do your self a favor and box them up and ship them there. You'll be riding instead of scratching your head.

Thanks for the help.. Taking off the carbs has fix one part of the issue.. I bought a carb sync and I was able to sync 1-3 cylinders... But cylinder 4 has so much more vacuum than the others. I am not sure how to troubleshoot.. Diaphragm looks perfect, no wear, tears and the vacuum hole is on the bottom. This bike hasn't hit 5k miles yet and the previous owner installed the Mosley muscle kit. I'm considering going back to stock jet setup.. Throttle is so sensitive and jumpy, not sure if that's the way it's supposed to feel like.

One other question.. The muscle kit install includes a vacuum connection from the oil fill tube-airbox-block. My question is the airbox has a small nipple opening at the front of the box.. Is that supposed to stay open or be plugged?

Appreciate any advice

With seans kit....the throttle isn't that jumpy. It doesn't matter if #4 carb has more vacuum. ..you still sync them all to the #2 carb ( left front).

Sounds like you still have some tuning issues...

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Front nipple on the airbox stays open and nothing gets connected to it.

If you have Sean's jet kit spend a little time tuning it. I'm sure you'll get it straight.

Main jets are typically clean and clear. As you said, it runs good wide open so you no the main isnt a clogged up. You need to dig deeper. Remove the jet blocks. Clean the jets in there. They are the usual suspect. Buy new jet block gaskets cause chances are you will tear one. Check all O rings in the carb. Clean everything thoroughly. Set the float height. Set the A/F screws to around 2.25 turn out from lightly seated.

Not sure if the PO drilled your slides and put in the shorter springs. I'd start out with the needle clips in the 3rd groove from the blunt end.

Do a bench synch. Fire up the bike and do a proper synch.

It takes time but it's not hard if you have some tools. Doesn't cost too much either. On a 06, you have a good chance of the O rings being ok but, if there are any signs if deterioration, replace them.

Makes sure the carbs are fully seated, all boots are tight, and no air leaks.

There is info in the carb section that will walk you through all of this

Back