Need help rebuilding my clutch master cylinder.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thearmytrucker

Reaction score
Well I decided I was going for a ride yesterday, went to reach for the clutch and got a whole lot of nothing when I squeezed it. Upon further inspection the slave cylinder had been leaking as well. Even after refilling and bleeding it I couldn't get the master cylinder to ever build any pressure.

I have a new slave cylinder, gasket, dowels (just in case) and a master cylinder rebuild kit on the way. I removed old slave cylinder (a bit of a pain to get it to drop out of the bottom), I also got a new rubber diaphragm for the master cylinder (again, just in case). I know it's not overly complicated to rebuild a master cylinder but does anyone have any pointers or instructions for someone that's never done it? I've never even rebuilt a wheel cylinder, I've just always replaced them.

I likely won't have the parts for a couple of weeks, so that's a bit disappointing.

This bike has done a lot of sitting over its life and I'm sure this won't be the last surprise with it. Brakes, braided lines and new brake fluid as well as rebuilding the forks are on the to do list as well, and probably new wheel bearings while I'm in there.

But that's what I get for buying a somewhat abused 30 year old bike.

Thanks in advanced guys.
Carlos

If the piston comes out of the bore, it’s downhill from there. Unless the cylinder is badly pitted, then you might think about replacement.

Welcome, if you add your location below your avatar, and your bike year in your signature line, it helps for us to help you.

This thread can help you: (8) Clutch slave cylinder replacement | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

And this: (8) Leaky clutch master cylinder | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

For the novice, I suggest using your cellphone camera to take pics as you disassemble things, to see the proper way to reassemble it.

Last edited:
Back