Need help with adjusting floats

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James t

To boldly go where no man has gone before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm going to pull my carburetors off I want to adjust my float level I don't think they're correct can someone point me in the right direction the procedure and how to measure my float level with the bowls off, and why is float level so important on these bikes, I'm a car guy I'm used to Holly's and quadra Jets thanks for your help, or is there a way I can check my float level with the carbs on the bike with the jet access screws

Last edited:
I suggest you do an advanced search for the words float level and you will find plenty of information. Once you have the float Bowl off if you look at the casting in the pot metal you will see a circle about 3/8 of an inch in diameter below and behind the float. If the float just touches the top of that Circle at 12:00 you should be pretty close to where you need to be a wet check of the float level once the carbs are back on the bike will confirm it's proper placement.

I suggest you do an advanced search for the words float level and you will find plenty of information. Once you have the float Bowl off if you look at the casting in the pot metal you will see a circle about 3/8 of an inch in diameter below and behind the float. If the float just touches the top of that Circle at 12:00 you should be pretty close to where you need to be a wet check of the float level once the carbs are back on the bike will confirm it's proper placement.
I did a search and I found what I needed thanks for your help

Before taking the carbs of I would first check then on the bike.
No point in fixing it if it isn't broken.
Page 5-9 of the VMX12N Service Manual refers.

Before taking the carbs of I would first check then on the bike.
No point in fixing it if it isn't broken.
Page 5-9 of the VMX12N Service Manual refers.
Ok thanks I don't mind pulling the carburetors off I have some new intake boots I'm going to put on anyhow, I just purchased a hardback copy of the vmx 12n manual, I like a book better than PDF, getting old can't read The computer screen like I used to .

Last edited:
I have another question I read that some guys tie back a couple coils of their slide springs I have a set of stage 7 shorter springs wouldn't that give the same effect or are they too short

If you are going to use the OEM carburetor parts, use those OEM longer springs.

If the holes in the bottom of the slides have been drilled out you can epoxy them closed and drill new smaller holes to match the OEM size. If you do an advanced search you can find out exactly what size the OEM throttle slide hole should be.

Yeah everything stock I was just wondering what the shorter springs would do for me I'm just throwing it out there, I'm not an expert on CV carburetors

I have another question I read that some guys tie back a couple coils of their slide springs I have a set of stage 7 shorter springs wouldn't that give the same effect or are they too short
That's one of the counter intuitive things about spring.

Removing coils, which effectively what tying a couple of coils together, makes the same spring stiffer.

You'd think having less coils would have the opposite effect. The way I envisage it, with fewer coils the length change is shared over fewer coils so each coil has to bend more which needs more force = stiffer spring.

Got my carburetors apart,well the one that was running rich the float is way off so hopefully that was my problem 20220519_065819.jpg

I know right, holy high floats Batman it was way off

Attachments

• 20220519_070927.jpg
    20220519_070927.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 6
Cleaning out the Jets while I'm in there

Attachments

• 20220519_072456.jpg
    20220519_072456.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 17
Beneath my picture it says to boldly go and no man is gone before, well I think this float has boldly gone with no float has gone before

Might want to think about removing and disassembling the jet blocks to clean the pilot fuel jet and emulsion tube.
Dem pesky pilot jets! Unfortunately, they do seem to be a location for debris, and can detrimentally-affect your low-speed operation.

Back