Need help with Canada ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMax-Mike

Reaction score
Lee and i are going to do a 5 day ride in Canada this year and we would like to know about all the cool places on our route. We will be going through the border into Sarnia and fallowing route 7 to route 21 to 6 and than back to 26 to 92 to river rd to tiny beach's rd to route 12 to 400 to 144 or we might take 17 we want to hit Elliot lake for sure. and we want to go north of Elliot lk 129 looks fun. Laurentian lodge might be one of our lodging stops. we will drop back into Mchigan through Sault Ste Marie. we also plan on hitting the Manitoulin island's. we have a route but now nothing about it. We like cool bar's water history long straight a'ways twisty's

Sounds like a pretty good ride! I live in Barrie, so you can drop in if you want! :cheers:

Well you're coming up up my way. I'm in Sudbury and have been riding around Northern Ontario for years.

I would be up for catching part of your ride, Manitoulin Island is a great ride.

Mike

I'll be in the Sault Ste Marie portion of your ride not many twisty's around me unless you want to ride west towards Munising then back towards Grand Marais. H-58 is a spectacular road with some great points to see lake Superior from. This route would take a full day of getting there and back to the bridge, but I can take you on the back road route which would be fun. Plus I can get you to one of the best pastie joints in the EUP!

I would recommend taking the 400 over 17, 17 is straight and flat from Barrie to Sudbury, not a whole lot to look at unless you start going way out of your way and do some of the backroads around the Huntsville / Burks Falls area. If you decide to take the 400 there is a nice route that runs parallel to it with some nice views and roads. Before you get to Parry Sound look for exit 189 (Lake Joseph Road, it is the old 2 lane black top that runs the shores of a pile of lakes with some nice corners and views. It eventually works it way back to the 400. After it I would look for exit 217 (Oastler Park Drive), it also runs parallel to the 400 and has some decent corners on it and will get you into Parry Sound. a good town to get gas and have a rest as there isn't too many gas stations to hit between Parry Sound and Sudbury. After leaving Parry Sound I would recommend looking for exit 241 (Hwy 559) and take it for about a half a mile and make a right onto Shebeshekong Road, it runs through the Shawanaga Indian reserve but it is in fantastic shape and has some beautiful views, corners and rolling hills, it also works it way back to Hwy. 400. If you look at the map you will see hwy. 529 it also works it way back to the 400 but it is in terrible shape, I took it 2 summers ago and it was crap. You can always jump off the highway at Hwy 526 (Britt) and take a break at the little restaurant and have some good fish and a cold beer. After that it is a straight run to Sudbury, I would recommend stopping at the Key River Marina for gas as it is pretty well the last gas station till you get to Sudbury. I haven't ridden a whole lot West or North of Sudbury, just a little around Manitoulin Island but not enough to give you a good idea as some places to see and roads to ride. Hope this long post helps. Have fun and be safe.

WOW! I didn't realize there were so many Barrie - Sudbury MAXers! That's excellent.
I was born and raised in Sudbury, and spent huge amount of time from Sudbury west to Sault Ste. Marie, Canada side.
It's a decent ride from Sudbury out to Espanola through Lively, White Fish, Espanola, Webwood, Elliot Lake and on through the Sault.
If you exit south at Espanola through Little Current and the single lane swing bridge, you gain access to Manitoulin Island. Be forewarned though, you can spend a good part of a day just putzin' around on that Island. Nice little mom and pop places to eat and isolated beaches to swim at. Water is crystal clear too!
Anyhow. If you let me know I'll make it a priority to be on the ride with you guys all the way up fro south of Barrie etc right up to Sudbury and maybe beyond to the west. I'm certain that I could have other Maxrs join us.
I like riding with other Gen 1's. I like the NASCAR harmonics that occur with numerous Max.cruising together.

That is funny because I am also born and raised in Sudbury but spent a lot of my time around the Key River area at my grandparents camp or around the Warren / Verner area where my Father lives.

WOW! I didn't realize there were so many Barrie - Sudbury MAXers! That's excellent.
I was born and raised in Sudbury, and spent huge amount of time from Sudbury west to Sault Ste. Marie, Canada side.
It's a decent ride from Sudbury out to Espanola through Lively, White Fish, Espanola, Webwood, Elliot Lake and on through the Sault.
If you exit south at Espanola through Little Current and the single lane swing bridge, you gain access to Manitoulin Island. Be forewarned though, you can spend a good part of a day just putzin' around on that Island. Nice little mom and pop places to eat and isolated beaches to swim at. Water is crystal clear too!
Anyhow. If you let me know I'll make it a priority to be on the ride with you guys all the way up fro south of Barrie etc right up to Sudbury and maybe beyond to the west. I'm certain that I could have other Maxrs join us.
I like riding with other Gen 1's. I like the NASCAR harmonics that occur with numerous Max.cruising together.

Thanks for all the info and we will look you up. We are thinking June but not set in stone yet looking like the 8th through the 12th. Lee and i both had gen 1's but he now ride's a ninja 1000 set up for touring and i now ride a bking set up for touring. We still love the vmax and both have talk about missing our gen 1's. Yes the vmax sound is missed the most so we look forward to riding and hearing the vmax on this ride. We still ride with the vmax hooligan's from Michigan and we hope some will be on the ride with us. Redbone we will meet up with you on this ride and maybe more. I planed to drop pass you so we could. Here is a pic of the gen 1 i had.

Attachments

• April 2014 002.jpg
    April 2014 002.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 10
A few more.

April 2014 018.jpg

Attachments

• _K2_7759.JPG
    _K2_7759.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 10
Bike's we ride now.

Attachments

• mikes phone 1-1-2015 015.jpg
    mikes phone 1-1-2015 015.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 30
  • mikes phone 1-1-2015 005.jpg
    mikes phone 1-1-2015 005.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 24
So now i need to look over the map. Thank you.

I just looked 17 to 34 to 400 and it looks good. Lee we might need an extra day.

Thanks for all the info. I think it would be cool to meet up with some of the northern Vmax brothers. I'm looking forward to this ride but I'll have to see how much vacation time I have if we want to take more days.

That's great. This forum has turned out to not only be helpful with mechanical support, but in pulling riders together!

That week you have listed is also the Ride For Sight (RFS)weekend in Fenelon Falls and is a huge motorcycle turn out. There is also some nice riding up there. I'll be there but with a dual sport club as we ride off road stuff in that area.

Buster I have run quads in wawa and Eliot lake. So I do know how much fun you have off road. I wonder if I can get knobby. Tires for a bking. Lol.

This Thread really shows what a Great resource this forum really is.
I love to see everyone in any given area help out with advice and offers to meet to like this.

Mike and Lee,
Have a Great ride and enjoy the hospitality of our Brothers to the North !!!!

Looks like lee and I will be leaving on June 7th or 8th through June 12th. If I get done with my truck run at work on the 6th we will get started on the 7th. I will start planning the route soon and we will do our best to meat up with you guys.

Latest posts

Back