Need help with Cops--

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donny Daughtry

Reaction score
No i didn't get arrested so no worries there:ummm:
I bought these from a local to run Cops with my dynatek 3000 and there is a long wire on one but not the rest of them. I installed a picture for reference.
I am assuming it goes to the tachometer?:confused2:
Any help would be appreciated.:clapping:

Attachments

• cop wires.jpg
    cop wires.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 124
I would assume you are correct in assuming that it's an RPM output for something. Not sure why they did it that way since Spilcker makes a T splice that plugs in for just this purpose, but I'm sure there's more than one way to get it done!

Exactly what I was thinking? Can't tell if that is the signal side or the main power feed side (which would come from the red/white wire on the harness).

I installed COPS with no extra wire. Made my own harness. No issues and the tach worked fine. Could just be an extra power wire since the CDI switches the grounds to fire the plugs. Here is a picture of my harness.
09cec471c9eb256305ba15fe483a7979.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the extra wire was for a shift light?

Resistors were required for older CDI boxes and for aftermarket ignition boxes - don't recall the name.

I'd tape the wire and give it a go.

I taped the end of the wire not knowing where it actually goes and after hooking the wires noticed extreme heat coming from the resistors.:confused2:
I put an ohm meter on the COP check the resistance through the harness and it shot up way past what the resistance of what the stock coils are.:ummm:
Took it for a spin after being careful not to forget to cross the front 2 wires in front and i can feel a considerable loss of power.:bang head:
I did take the tray out and removed all 4 stock coils so i guess i will be waiting for an answer as to the importance of the stray wire?:confused2:

I taped the end of the wire not knowing where it actually goes and after hooking the wires noticed extreme heat coming from the resistors.:confused2:
I put an ohm meter on the COP check the resistance through the harness and it shot up way past what the resistance of what the stock coils are.:ummm:
Took it for a spin after being careful not to forget to cross the front 2 wires in front and i can feel a considerable loss of power.:bang head:
I did take the tray out and removed all 4 stock coils so i guess i will be waiting for an answer as to the importance of the stray wire?:confused2:

I have a set of Cops (resistored and unresistored) that Gannon made. If someone modified them:ummm:

Something like that wire isnt on the normal version.

Resistored Cops should be around 3 ohms (to mimic what the stock coils are). Unresistored cops should be about what ever the resistance of the cops is.

I have a set of Cops (resistored and unresistored) that Gannon made. If someone modified them:ummm:

Something like that wire isnt on the normal version.

Resistored Cops should be around 3 ohms (to mimic what the stock coils are). Unresistored cops should be about what ever the resistance of the cops is.

These are 5 ohms.:confused2:

If you measured resistance across the resistor only, then a higher measured value would be normal, since the resistor should be wired in parallel to the COP. Typical COPs are 1.2 Ohms. Standard VMax OEM coils are 3 Ohms so 1.2 plus 5 divided by 2 equals 3.

Yes folks, I am a math whiz!

I have also read that the resistors do get warm.

If you measured resistance across the resistor only, then a higher measured value would be normal, since the resistor should be wired in parallel to the COP. Typical COPs are 1.2 Ohms. Standard VMax OEM coils are 3 Ohms so 1.2 plus 5 divided by 2 equals 3.

Yes folks, I am a math whiz!

I have also read that the resistors do get warm.

I measured the cop with resistor and get 5.2 ohms -I measured the cop and got 1.2 ohms- I measured the oem coil and got 3 ohms. The resistors are a lot more than warm.

It's obvious that these will not run with a dynatek 3000 like it is supposed to-also it get way too hot to risk it-:confused2:
Is there anyone elsewhere that makes these? Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back