Need help with issue before purchasing Gen2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runforthehills

Reaction score
Hello guys, I don't have Gen2 yet but am on the hunt for a good specimen here in the North Texas area. Today I checked out a decent looking 2010 at a Yamaha dealer that ticked all the boxes, or so I thought.
Upon closer inspection the coolant reservoir was bone dry (with the bike upright and engine cold). All that was in the reservoir was a little blue residue at the bottom from what I assume is evaporated coolant.
When I pointed it out to the Sales Manager (who told me that the bike was bought at the same dealership and regularly services), all he said was that this is pretty normal with a cold engine and nothing to worry about...
Quite a different story from what the service manual and owners manual say.
Should I walk (or run) away from the deal or is this really the case with the Gen2 VMax?
Any advice is greatly appreciated....

I don't know much about the Gen 2, but based on my experience with my other bikes, it might be OK.

I would ask them to put some coolant in the reservoir and run it until the engine is hot. It should be apparent if coolant leaks out somewhere when the bike is hot.

Then check the oil and make sure it is not milky.

I'm sceptical.

A quick search online shows the coolant capacity to be 3.75 litres.
Using an online calculator for expansion of water, from 10 to 100 degrees works out to just under 4 cc.

That would be less than the difference between the max and min marks on the reservoir.

From the manual.

Ad ^^^ suggests, top up the coolant to max mark run engine until the thermostat opens.

Have a look around the shop until the engine ools, does coolant leavel stay at max or drop?
It is normal for steam to come out the exhaust, a by product of combustion.

What warranty /come back is the dealer giving in case it turns out to be an engine fault.

Gen 2 are not cheap so don't be pressured if you are not sure, just be patient as the right one will turn up.

Also wait for what other gen 2 owners post in here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221225-131325.png
    Screenshot_20221225-131325.png
    179.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221225-131442.png
    Screenshot_20221225-131442.png
    262 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hello guys, I don't have Gen2 yet but am on the hunt for a good specimen here in the North Texas area. Today I checked out a decent looking 2010 at a Yamaha dealer that ticked all the boxes, or so I thought.
Upon closer inspection the coolant reservoir was bone dry (with the bike upright and engine cold). All that was in the reservoir was a little blue residue at the bottom from what I assume is evaporated coolant.
When I pointed it out to the Sales Manager (who told me that the bike was bought at the same dealership and regularly services), all he said was that this is pretty normal with a cold engine and nothing to worry about...
Should I walk (or run) away from the deal or is this really the case with the Gen2 VMax?
Hi sir
I got gen 2 year 2019 model in Nov of 2021 I always check the violent level and it’s always in between the two dots I think you should fill up the reservoir and let it run to see if it leak or overheat just to be on safe side or let the dealership fix the issue
Gorki

Thanks for all the pointers and advice guys. I had the bike running at the dealership for a minute or so when I looked at it last week. There were no visible coolant leaks anywhere that I saw and the exhaust looked and smelled free of any burned coolant or motor oil. Opening up the oil filler cap and sniffing the clutch assembly didn't reveal any unusual smells or frothy oil either.
I will take your advice and ask the dealer to top off the reservoir and if possible get to the radiator filler cap and see if the radiator has enough coolant in it. Then run the bike until it is good and hot and see if everything still looks as it should be and then wait and see what the coolant level does.
Thanks again for the help and I will report back in two weeks on the issue if the boke hasn't sold to somebody else in the mean time...

If m in your shoe I will ask the dealer to flush the coolant and refill again under your supervision to make sure that every thing as per maintenance manual intervals. Buy it man and enjoy the gen 2 beast.
Regards,
Askar

Make sure it’s filled with whatever is in it, if you see blue someone probably switched the coolant to engine ice and never topped it off completely. Engine ice and regular antifreeze do not mix well and it should be flushed anytime when switching from one to the other.

The drain plugs on these are plastic.
buy extras.
‘I have an 09 and I’ve never had a problem with them but I always put a brand new one on when I flush/change coolant

Hi bud
I got 2019 gen 2 and level in the reservoir is always between the lower and upper level I gave 600 pages shop manual and will look into it get back to you but as far as I know the coolent should be at required level

I'd say, that the dealership is careless, and obviously is just 'flipping' a bike, with no service work having been done. Was it even cleaned before it went onto the floor?

If they're interested in making a sale, I wouldn't be paying what they're asking, for one. I would insist on them changing all the fluids: f & r brake fluid, clutch fluid, oil and filter, and coolant. Proof of that is to open the master cyl reservoirs, and to confirm that the fluid is clear, not tainted with contaminants or opaque. I dunno what color of coolant a Gen. 2 Yamaha has from the factory, but it should have it, and filled to the upper line, cold. You could ask for seeing the level of fluid in the coolant system at the cap, it should be visible,.and at the top of where the cap attaches. Same for the oil level, oil in the sight glass should be clean, and not opaque, my opinion is, if it's opaque, they didn't change it.

Bring your own better-quality tire pressure gauge to the dealership, and before anything, check the tire pressures. If they have 'serviced the bike,' both tires should be spot-on factory specs. Not 'close-enough,' but what it says on the bike's government required tire pressures label. Look for where that is on the bike, and start with that as an indicator of the care the bike has/hasn't received at the dealership. Then do to fluids checks: levels, color/transparency, obvious leakages.

Make them earn the sale, and prove to you that the work was done. If they want to brush you off, saying, 'it was all-done,' tell them, "OK I trust you and saying that, I trust you'll take the time to do what I need to see to close the sale." If they won't, you don't.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back