Need new air filter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radley

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a running post started called clutch bleed or something like that... I have been updating it as I have been working on the bike, but people are ignoring me. It's ok. so here's ONE question I have..

-cleaned air filter, should be replaced. I'll look for one right now, hold on...ok, which air filter should I buy? the K&N for $65.00, the OEM replacement UNI for $30.00 or the Hiflo for $20.00 ? the Hiflo says meet or exceeds OEM on the Ebay description...
WHICH ONE?

K&N worth the price? thnx

K&N. It's reusable and will outlast the bike.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

I have a running post started called clutch bleed or something like that... I have been updating it as I have been working on the bike, but people are ignoring me. It's ok. so here's ONE question I have..

-cleaned air filter, should be replaced. I'll look for one right now, hold on...ok, which air filter should I buy? the K&N for $65.00, the OEM replacement UNI for $30.00 or the Hiflo for $20.00 ? the Hiflo says meet or exceeds OEM on the Ebay description...
WHICH ONE?

K&N worth the price? thnx

I'd add my air filter opinion here too, ...........but I'm ignoring you. :biglaugh:

Seriously, IMO, I've had my '85 since new, and to date, have only used the OEM replacement parts, and couldn't be more pleased with the results. I don't ride much in dusty conditions, and so, the OEM filter has worked well for me, and I don't have to take it out, clean it every so often, and then re-oil it. PLUS, I don't have to worry about whether or not the tiny amount of difference in airflow a different filter might cause will be enough to mess up the OEM jetting. But then, even after all these years, I'm still 100% stock on engine & carburation.

K+N or stock.
Both work well.
K+N is reusable. Dont expect ANY gains with it.
Before I bought Sean's jet kit I ran the stock air filter. You can get a lot of miles on it if you aren't riding in a dust bowl.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lol! Thanks guys,...maybe a little more info on my ride will help too.

Years ago when I had someone else servicing my bike, he put in Stage 1, I didnt know what that really meant, and still don't.

How often does one have to "oil" the filter?..is that so particles stick to the filter better? Will a K&N improve performance over OEM type?

Ok got that new info....no gains...but reusable.....thinking I'll go with OEM 20.00. I got other crap to buy today...dangit.

Lol! Thanks guys,...maybe a little more info on my ride will help too.

Years ago when I had someone else servicing my bike, he put in Stage 1, I didnt know what that really meant, and still don't.

How often does one have to "oil" the filter?..is that so particles stick to the filter better? Will a K&N improve performance over OEM type?

Ok got that new info....no gains...but reusable.....thinking I'll go with OEM 20.00. I got other crap to buy today...dangit.

Stage 1 is a carb kit put out by dynojet. It includes different needles, different jets, and different springs, and if someone followed the directions drilling out the slides so they react quicker. Hopefully the person DID NOT follow the directions as far as setting up the bike. As per the factory directions, the stage 1 kit is way to rich, and the vmax likes to be lean.

Yes you oil the filter to make the particles stick better. On mine, I never oiled it, until it go so dirty that I had to wash it, and then I would re oil it.

Last edited:
You will actually get more flow and trap more dirt and the K&N is oiled. DO NOT over oil it as it will end up in your carbs. I have a stock one you can have.

Flow is the same with a completely stock airbox. The restriction is with the airbox.

I have used K&N on many vehicles, it's a good filter. OEM is good.

I ride a lot of miles and in some dust so the K&N is by far the most thrifty option. Be careful shopping on Ebay, it's saturated with cut rate Chinese garbage so make sure your buying a quality filter.

Not on stock vmax. Proven with a flow meter

You will actually get more flow and trap more dirt and the K&N is oiled. DO NOT over oil it as it will end up in your carbs. I have a stock one you can have.

Sounds like stock air filter will be good for me... I can get one on Ebay for 20 bucks, but if I can save a couple on a new stock filter you got, lemme know how to make this happen, I appreciate it blaxmax..

K&N has proven their filters have more airflow than stock.

This is from the Vmax outlaw site.

Airflow Tests

With the thoughts of any standards banished from my mind I set out to measure how much of an improvement I could get with a variety of different airbox mods and filters. Without going into the details (involving a manometer and a plenum box)

I essentially bolted a set of manifolds, carbs, and various airbox and filter combos together and then used a powerful vacuum cleaner to suck air through the whole set-up. I measured the tiny changes and differences in air pressure caused by the various airboxes and filters.

For ease of comparison I am presenting my findings on a scale of 0 to 100 with 100 being the stock airbox and 0 being, you guessed it, 0 resistance:

Stock box w/ filter 100
Stock box w/ K&N 100
Stock box w/o filter 100
Y removed w/ filter 75
Y removed w/ K&N 68
Trimmed Lid w/ filter 62.5
Trimmed Lid w/ K&N 56
Individual filters 44
Bellmouths 43
Open carbs 37.5
Manifolds only 37.5

What the measurements tell us:

The stock air box, not the filter is the point of most restriction. Adding a high flow filter and doing nothing else will be of little benefit
A stock airbox is 2.25 times as restrictive as individual K&N filters
The stock manifolds are as restrictive as the carburetors, therefore internal carb mods will only be slightly beneficial without work on the manifolds as well - one recommended change is to check the fit between the manifolds and the carb boots and remove manifold material that sticks out into the airflow.

Doesn't say anything about which one catches the most cylinder killing dust. I'll put my money on a tie between the stock air box w/OEM filter and the stock air box w/K&N's installed, because I'm fairly confident that the stock air box w/o any filter would probably let our Maxes inhale any dust within 20 feet of it when running. :biglaugh:

Doesn't say anything about which one catches the most cylinder killing dust. I'll put my money on a tie between the stock air box w/OEM filter and the stock air box w/K&N's installed, because I'm fairly confident that the stock air box w/o any filter would probably let our Maxes inhale any dust within 20 feet of it when running. :biglaugh:
Yep, they both do the job. I chose kn purely for cost savings. Although, don't have an airbox anymore lol.

I've had a K&N filter in the stock air box since 2002 or so.
I clean and re-oil it every other year or so and it still looks and works like new.
As previously stated the only benefit to the K&N in the stock air box is that it will last the life of your bike as long as you maintain it.

ISO5011 air filtration standard developed by the Society of Automotive Engineers.

I wonder why I see a K&N 18 wheeler at every race I've ever been to and why there is a line?
I wonder why there is a contingency sticker on nearly every car and bike out there?
I wonder why they charge almost 3 times the stock filter ?I wonder why they guarantee it for life?
I wonder why you usually have to rejet when you use one?:confused2:

Sounds like stock air filter will be good for me... I can get one on Ebay for 20 bucks, but if I can save a couple on a new stock filter you got, lemme know how to make this happen, I appreciate it blaxmax..
PM sent.

ISO5011 air filtration standard developed by the Society of Automotive Engineers.

I wonder why I see a K&N 18 wheeler at every race I've ever been to and why there is a line?
I wonder why there is a contingency sticker on nearly every car and bike out there?
I wonder why they charge almost 3 times the stock filter ?I wonder why they guarantee it for life?
I wonder why you usually have to rejet when you use one?:confused2:

Hey....never let facts get in the way of a good argument. Like Mark said....the AIRBOX is the biggest restriction in the system, and with the airbox in place, there is no difference in the flow characteristics.

Stock box w/ filter 100
Stock box w/ K&N 100

One more favour....please copy and paste to white or some other color like that so people can see it?

Thank you

Back