Need opinions on VMax exhaust on 1st Gen Venture

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingy

Reaction score
Below is side picture of my 83 Venture.

I would like to try a set of VMax exhausts on it to see if it helps power. Fairly sure the rear crash bars may need to go , but I don't want to take off side bags. Bike has a center stand I could loose if I had to.

What do you guys think, you know your exhaust configuration, I have never been up close and personal with a VMax exhaust.

Can I make it fit?

One reason I am thinking about this is the rear header on the bike looks restricted to me. See second picture. Tubes are somewhat flattened, I have been told this was to tune the exhaust since front tubes are longer.

Gary

PICT5697s-1.jpg

DSC00944-1.jpg

i know the vmax stock exhaust is double walled, so you honestly may not gain anything.

The front headers on the Venture are double walled.

I really don't want to put a high dollar exhaust on the bike. It will always be a touring bike, just want to get as much out of it as I reasonably can.

Gary

i know the vmax stock exhaust is double walled, so you honestly may not gain anything.

The rear V-Max headers are not double wall. The Venture rear headers are probably flattened due to clearance issues so the V-Max ones probably will not fit. Remember the rear Max headers are convoluted, probably for tuning and fitment reasons.

The rear V-Max headers are not double wall. The Venture rear headers are probably flattened due to clearance issues so the V-Max ones probably will not fit. Remember the rear Max headers are convoluted, probably for tuning and fitment reasons.

+1
only the frond headers are double walled

Below is about best picture I have of rear header area.

The flat black shield covers the rear header just in front of the rear shock.

So am I hearing there wont be enough room due to the shock filling this space up?

Gary

PICT5476.jpg

yeap propably there is not enought everything look so tight there.+ the rear headers of the v-max is not like yours. the are crosslinked. the rear right goes to the left side of the bike and left rear goes to the right side of the bike and they are curved

A Kerker might fit. I've got a venture chassis here I could maybe test fit one with but it's going to be awhile before I have time to check.

if you want hp gain... replace the ventrure cams with the V-max ones. i am sure you will find them in ebay in an good price

It has a set of 97 VMax heads, 1300 block & FJR rear end. Still has 34mm carbs from original 1200 engine, these have been jetted to 150 mains.

I also have an ignitech after market TCI that allows the timing curve to be modified in any form.

Exhaust has have had all but the very front baffle removed., K&N filter. Slightly modified air box. I have the Double Dmod in the clutch.

I had bike down to bare frame last winter, so it is in very good condition. There is a whole lot of other mods that do not help performance that have been done to bike.

It is just something to play with. I had an XS1100 prior to Venture. It had a little more get up and go.

I am at 96 RWHP now. I want 120.

This winter I am putting on a set of 35mm rebuilt carbs, jetted like a stage 1 VMax, a VBoost system, and milling the block .030". Adding VMax air box with K&N filter, if I can get it to fit in.

The bike will hit 9,500 RPM's easily, but it is very flat up there. I am looking for ways to get it to breathe better. Low and mid range, it runs fantastic.

It is fun having a 28 year old bike that doesn't look like it would get out of its own way, and being able to embarrass every stock HD,save VRods, along with just about anything else short of crotch rockets. It is hard to get people to even run this bike, they look at it and think" Why bother"

For them it is a Lose - Lose situation. If they win, who gives a shit, and if they lose who dare they tell.

It's like fat girls and riding mopeds, can't tell anyone.

If any one is interested, I attached a list I have of mods done so far.

Gary

Attachments

• Venture uprades.doc
    31 KB · Views: 19
could someone drop a vmax engine/carbs/aftermarket exhaust in a venture frame?

could someone drop a vmax engine/carbs/aftermarket exhaust in a venture frame?

Other than the exhaust, Yes.

This bike's power train is very similar to the VMax's.

My bike has the 1300 block in it that many VMaxers are replacing their 1200 block with. Originally the Ventures had the 1200 block, 83-85. They went to a 1300 block in 86. Same year went from 34mm to 35mm carbs.

Carbs for the 1300 model are almost identical to VMax, difference being jets and choke linkage.

Vboost can be put on with a little tweaking.

TCI will run on either bike. VMax has better timing curve for a stock unit.

Rear end is almost identical. Difference being VMax has 33/9 ratio, Ventures have 33/10, also no shock stud on Venture rear end.

Almost all engine components will interchange.

This bike is a touring VMax, Its your crazy Uncle.

The Venture came out in 1983. The Vmax then was released in 1985.
I am not sure if the VMax was being developed from this projects inception by Yamaha, or if they realized the sport bike potential the Venture had after it was developed.

If you look at the parts fiche, any part that has a 26H prefix will fit was for an early Venture. Some 26H parts are still used on the RSV's even now.

Gary

Other than the exhaust, Yes.

This bike's power train is very similar to the VMax's.

My bike has the 1300 block in it that many VMaxers are replacing their 1200 block with. Originally the Ventures had the 1200 block, 83-85. They went to a 1300 block in 86. Same year went from 34mm to 35mm carbs.

Carbs for the 1300 model are almost identical to VMax, difference being jets and choke linkage.

Vboost can be put on with a little tweaking.

TCI will run on either bike. VMax has better timing curve for a stock unit.

Rear end is almost identical. Difference being VMax has 33/9 ratio, Ventures have 33/10, also no shock stud on Venture rear end.

Almost all engine components will interchange.

This bike is a touring VMax, Its your crazy Uncle.

The Venture came out in 1983. The Vmax then was released in 1985.
I am not sure if the VMax was being developed from this projects inception by Yamaha, or if they realized the sport bike potential the Venture had after it was developed.

If you look at the parts fiche, any part that has a 26H prefix will fit was for an early Venture. Some 26H parts are still used on the RSV's even now.

Gary
I like that description, very fitting!:punk:

It has a set of 97 VMax heads, 1300 block & FJR rear end. Still has 34mm carbs from original 1200 engine, these have been jetted to 150 mains.

I also have an ignitech after market TCI that allows the timing curve to be modified in any form.

Exhaust has have had all but the very front baffle removed., K&N filter. Slightly modified air box. I have the Double Dmod in the clutch.

I had bike down to bare frame last winter, so it is in very good condition. There is a whole lot of other mods that do not help performance that have been done to bike.

It is just something to play with. I had an XS1100 prior to Venture. It had a little more get up and go.

I am at 96 RWHP now. I want 120.

This winter I am putting on a set of 35mm rebuilt carbs, jetted like a stage 1 VMax, a VBoost system, and milling the block .030". Adding VMax air box with K&N filter, if I can get it to fit in.

The bike will hit 9,500 RPM's easily, but it is very flat up there. I am looking for ways to get it to breathe better. Low and mid range, it runs fantastic.

It is fun having a 28 year old bike that doesn't look like it would get out of its own way, and being able to embarrass every stock HD,save VRods, along with just about anything else short of crotch rockets. It is hard to get people to even run this bike, they look at it and think" Why bother"

For them it is a Lose - Lose situation. If they win, who gives a shit, and if they lose who dare they tell.

It's like fat girls and riding mopeds, can't tell anyone.

If any one is interested, I attached a list I have of mods done so far.

Gary

if you are interested i am selling my v-max carbs with filter box and k/n filter. i have fcr's install on my bike and they are for sale. they only thing you will have to do is to replace the main jets that i have because they are too big with the 150 you already have on yours right now. tell me if you are interested

if you are interested i am selling my v-max carbs with filter box and k/n filter. i have fcr's install on my bike and they are for sale. they only thing you will have to do is to replace the main jets that i have because they are too big with the 150 you already have on yours right now. tell me if you are interested

A month ago I might have went for them. They would have been cheaper than what I have in my set at this point.

But I now have a VMax air box with K&N filter. This may be a challenge mounting as it is about an 1" longer front to back.

A have a set of 35mm mikunis, that I have almost all of the parts to rebuild. They are torn down and being ultra sonic cleaned. I may also soda blast them.

The only issue I would have with the VMax set is the choke setup. The Ventures use a left hand grip, cable connected choke lever. The VMax style may be under the side cover on a Venture.

Thanks,

Gary

Latest posts

Back