Need painting advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcruiser

Reaction score
Ok, I got a carbon fiber exactrep custom front fender. It is now black chromed - from what I understand, it's the vacuum applied style with clear coat on top.

Now I am considering getting the fender painted black to matched the rest of the bodywork, so question is, can the fender be scuffed and painted or does the black chrome need to come off?

Mike

if it's not metal how can it be chromed? if it has a clear on it wet sand with 600 grit anf hot it with either epoxy or self etch, either will act as an adhesion promoter

From what I understand, a thin sheet of black chrome covers the part with a vacuum process than several layers of clearcoat is applied.

The previous owner did not like the final color effect, it has a tint of blue in it.

Mike

From what I understand, a thin sheet of black chrome covers the part with a vacuum process than several layers of clearcoat is applied.

The previous owner did not like the final color effect, it has a tint of blue in it.

Mike

Like blued steel on a good revolver????

That could look GREAT!!!!!:th_bfxbfxvfxv::eusa_dance:

EvilD;128423[B said:
]if it's not metal how can it be chromed?[/B] if it has a clear on it wet sand with 600 grit anf hot it with either epoxy or self etch, either will act as an adhesion promoter

?? Well, probably 90% + of chrome on cars and bikes these days is not on metal...it's on plastic.

That's the ALSACORP chrome. We have a small bottle here but haven't tried it yet. Might have to get some tried out before too long. VERY expensive stuff.

Sean

?? Well, probably 90% + of chrome on cars and bikes these days is not on metal...it's on plastic.

yeah, never thought of that, wither way, i'd wet sand it and hit tit with self etch.

That's the ALSACORP chrome. We have a small bottle here but haven't tried it yet. Might have to get some tried out before too long. VERY expensive stuff.

Sean

pricer than chrome for a similar sized piece?

Not sure. It is good for parts that can't be conventionally chromed. Still not quite as shiney but about as good as a paint can get.

Sean

+1 not cheap, a few grand to do a car, but holy shit is it sweet. There is an autobody shop here in town that does that kind of work. there is another hot rod builder that uses the spectra chrome system, it turns out like actual chrome its amaizing. If you want an idea of what it looks like in person just go out to your late model vehicle that has that chrome plastic grill, thats what it looks like.

Latest posts

Back