Need some advise...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmx1200

Reaction score
Hello folks... I have spent a couple of hours reading everything I could find on carb tuning. My bike is a '06 with 7000 miles, Supertrapp w/8 per side, drop-in K&N.

The bike runs good and strong but the carbs have not been touched, brass plugs and all are still there.

I do the Seafoam treatment for storage and a little in the gas tank once in a while.

My question is..... Should I adjust the a/f and sync? If so, what gauge do you recommend and where can I get one?

Thanks... Just did my first 100mph blast of the year down my road yesterday. Man did it feel good....

It is quite easy to drill out the brass plugs and adjust the idle mixture screws. Might not be a bad idea to go ahead and do that. Make sure that you either silicone or plug the holes once you get through though. Trust me you do not want one of those screws getting seized!:bang head: As for synching the carbs, most folks have had great success with the Morgan Carbtune setup. There are others on the market, it just depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. Yamaha has a super trick digital unit that works amazing, but costs a few hundred dollars. The choice is yours, oh and the Mod Monkey does extend to tools so beware.

It is better to embrace the Mod Monkey than to let him bugger you from behind:biglaugh:

DUDE! I synced my '06 some 3-4 times whilst going through break-in and it needed it EVERY time.

It's a yearly MUST IMO.

I wouldn't muck with the A/F screws. What you've done really hasn't altered much in the form of flow. S/T's are good for sound but not much more. I would leave well enough alone. The feel of the bike will be altered with a good accurate sync. You don't need a 300 dollar setup. A 100 dollar setup is MORE than fine and you can make your own unit if you please. Do a search for home made manometer here or on google.

Chris

Thanks for the info. I will take on the jobs.

Which is done first, a/f or sync?

Could somebody send me the best links for instructions on these jobs?

Very much appreciated....

DUDE! I synced my '06 some 3-4 times whilst going through break-in and it needed it EVERY time.

It's a yearly MUST IMO.

I wouldn't muck with the A/F screws. What you've done really hasn't altered much in the form of flow. S/T's are good for sound but not much more. I would leave well enough alone. The feel of the bike will be altered with a good accurate sync. You don't need a 300 dollar setup. A 100 dollar setup is MORE than fine and you can make your own unit if you please. Do a search for home made manometer here or on google.

Chris

I will sync and go from there......

Carb Synch- YES!

"change A/F" - Don't fix it if it aint broke!!!

+1 If it's running good, and you're happy with it, don't mess.....sync'n every 3K or so will keep it running great.

Here's a new one for price comparo...not sure if it's the BEST price or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carb...rcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3caad159f1

Be careful of "Thevmaxrider" he has a whole colony of mod monkeys permanently attached to him and one will occasionally jump off and attach to a passer-by!!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: He's a great guy, and extremely v max knowledgable....but he's been "monkee'd" with!! :punk:

+1 If it's running good, and you're happy with it, don't mess.....sync'n every 3K or so will keep it running great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carb...rcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3caad159f1

Be careful of "Thevmaxrider" he has a whole colony of mod monkeys permanently attached to him and one will occasionally jump off and attach to a passer-by!!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: He's a great guy, and extremely v max knowledgable....but he's been "monkee'd" with!! :punk:
Perfect... Thanks..

Although I completely agree with getting the sync tool and doing it yourself, I was very busy when I wanted to get mine done and didn't have a sync tool, so I took it to a local shop. They synced the carbs and adjusted the a/f for $64.00.
Tim

I agree with everyone here. leave the a/f alone and synch 'em up. i try to do it monthly, or about every 1k miles or so.

Although I completely agree with getting the sync tool and doing it yourself, I was very busy when I wanted to get mine done and didn't have a sync tool, so I took it to a local shop. They synced the carbs and adjusted the a/f for $64.00.
Tim

did they use an 02 sniffer or by feel/sound?

That's it Dan-o I am leaving my biggest, meanest, and most money spending Monkey at your house when I get there!!!! Actually I really like the synch tool I use and it is very reasonable. It is basically a velocity meter that you insert into each carb, or in my case throttle body, and then adjust them until the flow/velocity through each is the same. Got it from RMSportmax for a great price, don't ask me exactly what it was cause I made it a habit a long time ago to stop keeping track of what I spend on Toxic.

I just got online at carbtune.com and purchased the Carbtune-Pro. With the exchange rate the way it is now it only costs around $88 shipped :eusa_dance:. It will take 10 or so days to get here but thats OK.:biglaugh:

I just got online at carbtune.com and purchased the Carbtune-Pro. With the exchange rate the way it is now it only costs around $88 shipped :eusa_dance:. It will take 10 or so days to get here but thats OK.:biglaugh:

And it starts... :biglaugh:

If you want it to run even better you can probably replace the main jets down to a 150-147.5 which will crispen it up even more. I rebuilt a 2006 2 years ago that the owner had put trapps on and the engine rings ate themselves. Looked like it was set a little tight from the factory and the extra richness washed the cylinder walls.

Sean

Great price! I was thinking I paid $90-something, but like Jim...I don't keep track anymore! :biglaugh:

Black River....eh? I used to haul pulp into Deferiet, back in another lifetime! :punk:

Great price! I was thinking I paid $90-something, but like Jim...I don't keep track anymore! :biglaugh:

Black River....eh? I used to haul pulp into Deferiet, back in another lifetime! :punk:
Yup... Good old Black River... Great place to live. There are only 3 seasons here. Pre-Winter, Winter, Post Winter. I make the best of the warm days we do get..

My buddy is bringing his 09 tomorrow to my garage (I have a lift, could not live with out it) and we are doing UFO Exhaust, programmer, and lowering link. I will get a gen 2 someday, maybe when I pay my house off in another 28 years....:bang head:

Latest posts

Back