Need some starting help.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InThePlums

Reaction score
Ok ladies and gents, had to bump start this am after an overnight charge on the battery, first gen 01. I'm traveling a lot today so I'll be passing a few autozones and some bike shops. Is there a solenoid that you've found that is usually in stock, Which bike is it for? (Mine is ticking like a clock on crack when the key is engaged during the boost servo warm up.) And probably will pickup a battery as well, so if I understand correctly I can remove the battery basket, cut the forward side facing the engine completely off? And that'll allow a more standard battery with better cranking amps to fit? If so which battery? I'll probably have access to a few autozones and O'reilly's. I'm sorry to ask questions that I'm sure are answered on the forum but I have limited interwebs where I'm traveling so if I have a central post to check for answers I'll be able to get her fixed by this evening when I get back. Thanks in advance, you guys have already taken all the headache out of maintaining this beast so that we can enjoy the ride and not sweat the repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any battery that cross references with this will work. Panasonic LCX1220P. It fits in the stock battery well without having to cut anything.

Are you certain the "clicking sound" isnt the fuel pump refilling the bowls? It is electric, and so you will hear a click as it operates.

If it a superfast click.......that just means a low battery, and will go away once you have enough juice.

Any battery that cross references with this will work. Panasonic LCX1220P. It fits in the stock battery well without having to cut anything.

Are you certain the "clicking sound" isnt the fuel pump refilling the bowls? It is electric, and so you will hear a click as it operates.

If it a superfast click.......that just means a low battery, and will go away once you have enough juice.

Not sure on the fuel pump, it is a slow click and it gets rapid when I hit the button. I feel like the fuel pump would prevent it from bump starting too though.

Cut my battery box a few years ago, and put a Gold Wing battery in the Max. I'm using an Interstate AGM unit, and along with a new stator and Series type Shindengen voltage regulator - am having no problems.

Thanks again everyone, had time to take the battery out to be tested, it was taking and holding a charge but failed the load test, dropped to 4v.

Choices are limited at most parts stores. Try to get an AGM, sealed unit, if possible. The 16 in the part number is the A.H. rating. Getting a battery with a higher rating is advised. The Shorie is the best battery I've tried so far. It is tiny and comes with spacers to shim it tight in the battery box. 270 CCA. And, it'll maintain those cranking amps for a long time if needed.

I know Steve (aka sdt354) had some bad luck with his last few Apex batteries But I bought the APX12220, 420 CCA - 22 Ah, Sealed AGM battery as a replacement for my UB12180 (which lasted 9 years) about 2 years ago and it works great for me so far.
http://www.apexbattery.com/apex-battery-apx12220-12-volt-22-ah-battery.html
It fits in the stock battery box but you will have to bend the cable ends because the posts are different than the OEM YUASA wet cell battery .

Found a good AGM replacement locally, wasn't happy about the retail price but the guys were helpful and knew how to find what I needed without trying to sell me what was OEM in their catalog. Installed, fit perfectly no issues, cranked right up. Voltage good at 1k idle and charging voltage looked good at 2.5k idle.

Back