need the pro's advise (newbie)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SITORR

Reaction score
Hi I just pick up a used V-max last Sat. the bike seems to be in good shape. 10,000 miles is what the odometer reads. I?m the third owner. The second owner bought it at 6,000 miles according to the pink. Anyways I took the bike Sunday for a little cruse. Bike seems to run good. About forty miles into the ride I stopped and park the bike on the side stand. I noticed a little oil dripping just above the kick stand? I can?t really see where it?s coming from. It?s not a lot and it doesn?t seem to happen all the time? The bike is in the shop getting new tires breaks and fluid changes. I asked the guys at Moomba?s to check the oil leak. But after reading stuff on this site about oil dripping I?m wondering if it?s normal? The shop I took it to have great Bike mechanics they work on my cbr 1000rr. I don?t know how much experience they have with the V-Max. do you guys have any suggestion i should let these guys know? Also what else should i do to the bike when it?s at the shop? I want this bike to be very reliable. Sorry for the long post.

Welcome to the forum, I am not a pro but will tell you what I think it could be, take a close look at the crank case cover, run your finger around the lower edge of it, if oil is detected a thin orange O-ring behind that cover is busted, it is a simple fix just order it , remove the two little hex screws have a rag under it because a little oil will spill, you will find the orange O-ring and replace it, it should cost less than $5 to replace it.
It is # 11 in the microfiche part # 93210-45150-00
from http://www.ronayers.com/ for $3.80
I hope that helps.

SITORR said:
Hi I just pick up a used V-max last Sat. the bike seems to be in good shape. 10,000 miles is what the odometer reads. I?m the third owner. The second owner bought it at 6,000 miles according to the pink. Anyways I took the bike Sunday for a little cruse. Bike seems to run good. About forty miles into the ride I stopped and park the bike on the side stand. I noticed a little oil dripping just above the kick stand? I can?t really see where it?s coming from. It?s not a lot and it doesn?t seem to happen all the time? The bike is in the shop getting new tires breaks and fluid changes. I asked the guys at Moomba?s to check the oil leak. But after reading stuff on this site about oil dripping I?m wondering if it?s normal? The shop I took it to have great Bike mechanics they work on my cbr 1000rr. I don?t know how much experience they have with the V-Max. do you guys have any suggestion i should let these guys know? Also what else should i do to the bike when it?s at the shop? I want this bike to be very reliable. Sorry for the long post.
________
Chrysler Imperial Parade Phaeton specifications

Attachments

• mymax.jpg
    mymax.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 11
  • crankcase_cover_1 (500 x 691) (375 x 518).jpg
    crankcase_cover_1 (500 x 691) (375 x 518).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The first place I would look is the rubber hose that goes up between the carbs and into the bottom rear of the air box.

If this is not plugged into the bottom of the airbox the crankcase pressure can sometimes blow oil out of this hose and it will runn down from there to anywhere on the rear of the motor...

It's real easy to forget to plug this hose in as you are lowering the airbox into place when re-installing....

You have to pull the seat and overflow tank out of the way to get to it unless you have really tiny hands....

Could be lots of things though...

Last edited:
SITORR said:
Personally I would wipe the bike clean and in that way find out where the leak is showing up. You might have to run it and observe while it's parked. As far as the Max being an oil leaker........aint so. Have owned quite a few Jap vehicles and NONE of them ever leaked any oil. One bike was over 30 years old and a hard working 25 y.o. truck with over 200K miles. This doesn't mean it won't happen with time or abuse.

What long post???

SITORR said:

What year is your VMax? There are a few possible areas where the leak could be from. If you tell us the year I can see which ones I can eliminate.

the bike is a 1999. I went by the shop to see the progress. they think the leak is coming from the side cover. he tighten the cover bolts some were lose. i told him to order the gaskit and will change it out at the nexted oil change. i'm going to order new springs for the front forks (way to soft). after thay i don't see much else to do to the bike? i think i'm going to add the manual fan switch because it get to warm here in So Ca.
(that looks like an easy mod.

SITORR said:
the bike is a 1999. I went by the shop to see the progress. they think the leak is coming from the side cover. he tighten the cover bolts some were lose. i told him to order the gaskit and will change it out at the nexted oil change. i'm going to order new springs for the front forks (way to soft). after thay i don't see much else to do to the bike? i think i'm going to add the manual fan switch because it get to warm here in So Ca.
(that looks like an easy mod.

Congratulations on the new bike!

"after thay i don't see much else to do to the bike? "

LoL...Hang around awhile and you'll find plenty to do once you get the mod bug....Lots of good advice fror some of the guys here...
The Vmax will thousand dollar bill you to death tho' if your serious about modding....

The list below is probably around $7000...

Wheels and radial tires
Swingarm stiffen/brace or changeout altogether
Upside down front
Exhaust
Seat
Jet kits
Rear shocks
Front springs
Cartridge emulators
Fork brace
Frame braces
Rear sets