Need tips on purchasing a used 1998 VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlaw4728

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster here. I am going to go look at a 1998 VMax with 7000 original miles on it tomorrow morning and just wanted to know if there are any problem areas that I should be looking for on a 1998 or VMax in general.

I've read about the 2nd gear problem and to make sure I fully check out the suspension and the fork seals. Do you guys have anything else in mind that I should be paying attention to while looking at it? It's a decent price if everything checks out, but you can only look and test so much. I wish there was a good way to test to see if the carbs are cleaned, but I'm not a mechanic at all. (Which is why my Dad is going with me.) The link to the listing is below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998...motorcycles&hash=item2a2932437d#ht_500wt_1182

Any help would be strongly appreciated! Thanks!

Looks like a great deal. 2nd gear like you said. as far as the carb. How it's running would be the best way to tell there condition. Here's a thread that has some advice about looking at one. It's all a good read, but I'm refering to post #4 http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21240 Welcome to the board.

A '98 w/7k is very low mileage, which tells me it must have sat unused quite a lot. You want to find out if the A/F screws are seized, which can turn into a big deal if they are. Start by asking the owner, he will most likely say they aren't, then ask if he would show you or mind if you verify it yourself. You don't need to turn them very far, just a little in either direction and return them to the original position. The right side is the most vulnerable, start with them.

Unless the factory plugs are still in place in which case they are probly OK.

I apologize for the dumb question, but are you referring to the air/fuel screws on the carb assembly? (Again, sorry for sounding like an idiot).

Back