Need to lift bike. Purchased w/o center stand

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommygun4u

Reaction score
Someone please help. I just got a 1990 vmax a month ago and it had no center stand. All of a sudden yesterday the handling got real bad. Steering vey floaty at slow speed. And I can't check anything cause no stand. Right now this is my only transportation and money is tight. Is there anyway to lift with a car jack? And any ideas on why handling would change so drasticly all of a sudden? Guy before me did Furbur fix with metal washer. What should I check next? Thank you guys

Do you have engine guards? I use those along with jack stands to get the front end off the ground. Otherwise, a bike lift from Harbor Freight would work.

Be sure to do a close inspection of the tires for any obvious delamination or other deformity before next rolling out of your driveway. If it came on all of a sudden,......maybe a tire has gone south on you.

Try using a car jack with a small length of 2x4 for stability right around the oil drain bolt area, that is what I did until I installed engine sliders up front and now I just use jack stands as previously mentioned. You can usually find a center stand under $40 when you have the funds. I just got one for $35 from John Fubur and will use a set of Clovis pins to install for maint then remove when riding.

I don't have case guards so that's out. :( I was looking to use 2x4s and my heavy duty hydraulic jack but does that mean I have to remove stock exhaust? I can't see anywhere on the bike where I can place jack and 2x4 without resting on the pipes. Sorry if my questions are long, drawn out, and kinda numb headed. I've never had a bike like this one before (all been rice or dirt). I know how "fights" start on threads and not looking to offend anyone. Thank you everyone, your help is so much appreciated!!!!!!

As far as the tires go, front is pretty new. Still has rubber nipples 1" in from sidewall and I don't wheelie this bike so no cupping. Other than ripping in a strait line, I take it vey easy through corners. Now the rear, the center is wearing down. There is a safe amount of tread left but it is worn. Ridden much worse on my rockets. Doesn't look "squared" off to me but I maybe mistaken. I have had to lock the rear brake twice to avoid car talking on their cells. But tire never felt like flat spot. If I can figure out how to post a pic in the responses ill but both up. Cause I really need help with this. I pick my wife up from work in a few hours and I'm scared I'm overlooking something and with her on it, don't want something like falling off!

Btw. Both tires are Metzlers

Dont worry....the fights on this forum are few and far between. Usually people can speak their peace, and as long as no one is "rude.....or being a dick about it" its all ok.

You should be able to place the hydraulic jack right under the oil pan, the pipes should go around the spot where the drain plug is.

So I can put the cup of the jack right where the stand goes? Sweet! Ill give that a shot soon as a buddy shows up. Then he can hold and balance it for me while on a 6" pad. Lol. Then I guess its check the fork oil level and neck bearing. Along with wheel bearings. Am I missing anything else? Maybe something more simple? And do you think I'm in danger of something making me wreck with my wife on it? If so, what should I check to make sure that doesn't happen? We have 2 kids I don't want to leave on earth without us. Thanks again so very much for all your help!!!!

Well you need to make certain that the jack is pretty well centered under the heavy part of the bike, which is along the oil pan (with a small piece of wood between the jack and the pan) and it should work. Glad that your friend is helping to balance the bike as well.

When you say stand....do you mean side stand (kick stand) or center stand?

Last edited:
I would also lube the speedo cable ends and speedo drive assembly. Perhaps check brake pad wear too.

Start with the simple yet often overlooked items, check the front axle nut and make sure it is tight and the front tire spins freely and straight when off the ground. Next, check air pressure in your tire and the front forks for any sign of fluid leak from the seals. If still no luck finding any cause then move up the forks and check the lower and upper tripple tree Allen bolts and make sure them things are nice and tight. If so done did the Fubur fix then a possible loose clamp on the tree could be the cause. If still nothing and you have the time and tools, Allen wrench and a large crescent then loosen the lower tree clamps and if needed tighten the steering head bearings. It should be tight but still allow your steering to move freely without bouncing off the stops. Once tight remember to retighten the lower clamp bolts. If after all of this and nothing stands out as being bad, worn, loose or just wrong and the problem still persists on your check ride I would guess that your steering head bearings need to be replaced.

I hang front end of my bike on a tree when changing fork seals.

Someone please help. I just got a 1990 vmax a month ago and it had no center stand. All of a sudden yesterday the handling got real bad. Steering vey floaty at slow speed. And I can't check anything cause no stand. Right now this is my only transportation and money is tight. Is there anyway to lift with a car jack? And any ideas on why handling would change so drasticly all of a sudden? Guy before me did Furbur fix with metal washer. What should I check next? Thank you guys

You sound like you are describing tight sterring head bearings. You mentioned th PO did the Furbur fix, maybe he got them too tight, or left the top nut loose. Try the morley Bounce test...................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-CmACI5xQ

Center. Totally spaced out tire pressure. Duh.... Rear was 42, little high. But the front was at 12psi!!! I had just checked them last week so I never bothered to check. Don't know why it was so low. Fixed about 60% of the slow speed wobble. I think the rest is normal Vmax. But Atleast driving the wife home from work wasn't scary. Thanks everyone for all your help. As far as that rear stand goes, I'm buying an 18" wheel on the 15th for $200. So my cash is going there. If it's still around in a few couple weeks ill shoot you a message to buy it. Thanks again everyone!!!

Still a little shakey. Hopefully picking up a motorcycle jack tomorrow for cheap and on to checking everything you guys suggested. Thank you so much. Ill post my findings when I have some

Do the Morley bounce test. He has a video on here how to do it. It sounds like it's either loose or to tight. It's a common problem for the vmax. You will notice a big difference with that 18" rim and radial tires. Good luck and welcome to the family

Shoot I missed the video posted by Alior

Better check out that front tire for leaks with some soapy water if you just checked it last week and now it's that low!

Since this thread is about the center stand and in the general section, figured I would ask my question here. I bought a 88 VMAX from my uncle who also bought it from someone else. So I am at least the 3rd person to own this. Who ever had the bike before my uncle did some pretty crappy stuff. Repainted the motor and paint over the oil sight glass. Just one example of many others. Well to my question. I recently bought a tank from a member here to clean and seal so that when I remove the one currently installed I can put in a fresh cleaned one. Minimal down time. Well from my readings having a center stand would make this job much easier. Well my bike doesn't have a center stand. Apparently the PO before my uncle decided to remove it. And by remove it I mean grind the shit off....... :mad: And from what I've read it is because of the Cobra slip ons that are installed. I am not going to be able to buy a center stand and a brace, right? The center stand mounts straight to the frame? I haven't been able to really look underneath. But my brief looking that is what I am seeing. Looks like it would have to be re-welded back on.

The PO probably ground off the center stand tabs to install an aftermarket exhaust (some require that be done).
I personally use a bike lift under my pipes to lift my bike (see attached pictures).
I also put a 2x6 and a shim under the rear tire to stabilize it a bit.

Attachments

• Fork_Off_1_800x800.jpg
    Fork_Off_1_800x800.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Fork_Off_2.jpg
    Fork_Off_2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 17
Back