Neutral light failing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackbird

Reaction score
Hi,

I have bought a Vmax 1700 for 2 days and I see that the neutral light under the speedometer doesn’t come on. Everything works well, the N appears in the indicator gear (digital dash). Anyone know what can be? Is it a possible to replace that bulb led? How to do it?
Thanks in advance!!!

I can't recall what the resolution to this problem was but would actually like to know as well since I have a 2010 that came in with this same issue.
\

Gear indicator switch? I remember a few people having problems with it and just cleaned it up a bit and were OK then.

Thanks. I have tried but when I took it, oil started get out. How do I stop the oil flow???

Thanks. I have tried but when I took it, oil started get out. How do I stop the oil flow???

I've never had one out so I don't know but, I'd suggest getting the bike off the side stand and standing it up straight.

Either drain the oil or let it flow while you're cleaning it and then refill whatever amount is lost (using the sight glass)

i have a 2016 vmax and the neutral light stays on no matter what gear your in going down the road

Mine was, emphasis on was, doing the same thing. It was bright in neutral. But in every other gear it was lit, but very dim. Now it just don't come on at all. Installed a new neutral switch same thing. Now it's time to trace wires unfortunately.... On a 2018. Gear indicator still works, just no neutral light. My OCD refuses to just let it go, and besides if it's there it should work.

Mine was, emphasis on was, doing the same thing. It was bright in neutral. But in every other gear it was lit, but very dim. Now it just don't come on at all. Installed a new neutral switch same thing. Now it's time to trace wires unfortunately.... On a 2018. Gear indicator still works, just no neutral light. My OCD refuses to just let it go, and besides if it's there it should work.

Did you ever figure this out. I just noticed my neutral light stays on all the time now too. If I switch to neutral and then a gear it goes out for a bit but ultimately back on. Sometimes dim and can get bright.

Did you ever figure this out. I just noticed my neutral light stays on all the time now too. If I switch to neutral and then a gear it goes out for a bit but ultimately back on. Sometimes dim and can get bright.

No I haven't. Haven't had the time to mess with it unfortunately.

I have a similar problem, 2010 Vmax 1700 digital dash Neutral indicator functions normally on first start but stops working once bike warms up. Issue began when local dealer performed a 12,000 mile service including oil change. Could it be an oil viscosity issue? If so, any recommendation on best oil for 1700 VMax? Thanks in advance.

If it shows N on the read out on top cover switch is good. I have a 2018 and had to replace the speedo head assy

Both N's do not light up when the Max is at operating temps. On cold start-up they both work.

I replaced the neutral switch assy (part #2S3-82540-00-00) and o-ring (part #93210-21001-00). Neutral indicators both working again.

my 2014 is doing same thing yours did before you replaced the switch. Was it hard to replace it?

Not very difficult but I learned during the process, need long allen wrench (L-Key) to reach the two bolts connecting the switch assy. My toolkit has a socket set that accommodates various hex heads so I used that. To prevent any oil leaking, (happens when the old switch assy is removed) I leaned the bike gently to the left (opposite side of kickstand) against a wall and blocked the corresponding footpeg. The hardest part I think was threading the new cable in place of the old cable which connects under the seat. Just follow the cable from the switch assy to the connector and take your time.. Pay attention to how little pressure is needed to remove the bolts holding the old switch assy. Not much at all so I took that to mean do not overtighten or risk damaging the new switch. Last thing, when you put on the new O-ring, oil it up good because it will take a little pressure to insert the new switch which I did by using my allen wrench inserted into the bolts and pushing to avoid putting any pressure on the center of the switch assy. I'm not a mechanic but logically that made sense to me.

Latest posts

Back