Neutral light issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrapi

Reaction score
Hi,

Sometimes the neutral light on my bike doesn't come on, although there is no gear engaged.
While on neutral, a small tap downwards on the shift levers usually makes the light turn on.
It's not a big issue, just annoying.
Any ideas why this happen?

Sounds like issue with neutral switch or the switch wire contacting ground somewhere.

Can you clarify if this is gen 2 (common issue) or gen 1 (not so common issue).

Can you clarify if this is gen 2 (common issue) or gen 1 (not so common issue).

It's a 99 GEN 1

Sounds like issue with neutral switch or the switch wire contacting ground somewhere.

The switch maybe.
I don't think it's a stripped wire or something similar, because it's not a random behavior.
When going from 1st gear to neutral the light works most of the times.
When going from 2nd gear to neutral the light remains out, and after a small downward nudge on the shift lever it turns on.

I agree, check for a good pair of connections in the neutral switch in the sump, or a fraying line or connector.

If that doesn't eliminate the issue, I'd pull the sender and check it for functionality.

The neutral switch works when a plunger on the end of the shift cam touches the contact on the neutral switch. If all the wiring is OK then drain the oil, remove the three countersunk screws of the white plastic neutral switch and rotate it out. This will allow you to check/clean the plunger and spring and the contact itself on the inside of the neutral switch under the little screw for the wire. All the parts are easily replaceable if necessary.

The neutral switch works when a plunger on the end of the shift cam touches the contact on the neutral switch. If all the wiring is OK then drain the oil, remove the three countersunk screws of the white plastic neutral switch and rotate it out. This will allow you to check/clean the plunger and spring and the contact itself on the inside of the neutral switch under the little screw for the wire. All the parts are easily replaceable if necessary.

This is only possible with the middle drive gear cover off, right?

Guess I should have addressed this issue 3 months ago, when I changed a leaking clutch slave cylinder🤦‍♂️

Actually there is no cover and if you look underneath the middle drive cover at about 7 o'clock you should see the white neutral switch. Access not too easy but the only way to improve it is to get the engine out of the frame so you will just have to try hard! Here is a picture showing the switch between
Picture1.jpg
the generator cover and the middle gearbox cover.

And here is a close up.

Neutral-&-5th-Gear-switch.jpg

This switch happens to be one form a Venture (I think) which has a contact for fifth gear. As you can see it is possible to access without having to remove the motor once the footrest and Middle gear housing is removed. Note that with the retaining screws removed you need to pull it out perpendicular to the engine.

Back