New battery...starter relay clicks like when bat is dead

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnblaid

Reaction score
I'm working through the charging system on an 1986. So far I need a new stator, a new voltage regulator, and a new or rebuilt starter motor.

I have a new battery that shows over 13 volts when fully trickle charged but when I turn the key on there is this clicking sound that cars make when the battery is dead.

I think this must be the starter relay but who knows on these bikes.

They are like corvettes. They are great when they run but they never run.

any ideas what this sound might be? I've even heard it on a couple of YouTube vids on various V-Max Subjects.

Thanks.

Do yourself a favor and jump start it with your car battery. If it still clicks you may have a bad starter relay, but it's unlikely.
I bet it'll spin right up, and that means that your new battery isn't any good and can be returned to where you bought it for a replacement under warranty.

Batteries can often 'show' good charge on the meter, but drop to nowt when cranking. Have you tried measuring the voltage across the battery while cranking, btw?

Another possibility, if the battery is ok, is that either your ground lead (from battery - to motor by oil filler plug) or one of your starter leads (+ to starter relay, or starter relay to starter) are bad or have a bad connector. Give'em a good tug to find out if they just pop out, one of mine did!

One thing you can do to determine if the starter relay is bad would be to short the two posts connected to the relay. If it cranks up then you should replace the relay (new aftermarket one is about $20). If when you short the posts it just sucks all the power and does nothing then your battery is not putting out enough, connect it to your car battery with jumper cables, if it fires then replace the battery as well.

If you do a search for a thread called "Electrical Gremlins" you will see I had a similar issue before. Mine was caused by the RR pushing way too much voltage through the electrical system frying my starter relay and battery. Also in that thread are some great diagnostic tips from very knowledgeable members.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

For 28 yrs now, I hear a clicking nearly each and every time I turn on my 85. It's the fuel pump priming itself.

You didn't mention what voltage you are seeing across the battery as you push the start button. How far is your voltage dropping when you do?

Voltage across terminals at rest is 13.2 volts...
Voltage while running is 12.2 (needs a new stator...multimeter shows all coil sets shorting)

Have not tried checking voltage while cranking.

After reading, it's probably either the fuel pump priming itself or the starter itself. I've read that the hot starting problem is usually a starter, but I'll just put a new starter relay in it if it's only 20 bucks, just to make sure. I ride alone and I want to replace anything that's cheap like the voltage regulator, etc, when I replace the stator.

I've been following the how to on fixing your charging system and the ground wire to the engine is perfect at this point. The voltage regulator is connected directly to the positive battery terminal instead of through all those wires.

I really appreciate all the advice.

If it's still got the OEM R/R, you may be able to get more volts by adding a ground wire to one of the bolts where it attaches to the footpeg assy., and over to the frame somewhere.

OR upgrade to the newer style R/R which has a ground wire built into it, and you can run it over to a good frame ground, or up to the battery.

If you are having a hot start isssue: Taking the starter off is no easy chore, but not that difficult either. I wouldn't hesitate to take it apart, then clean & tweak it so's the hot start issue never pops up. Before you reassemble the 2 brush starter (if it still has the 86 OEM), be sure to bend, slightly, the brush plate locating tabs where the plate fits the starter casings. Bending them slightly up, or down, will create a better earth between the brushes to the casing when you bolt the two halves back together, and do wonders to prevent the hot start issue.

Back