New Cams & A/F mixture

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
Howdy Guys.
Just installed a new set of cams. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience on what to expect for the A/F mix??? I know I need to take it to the dyno and get it dialed in, I am just wondering what to expect so I know how to tune for the new cams.
Cheers

We just dynoed one with Ross pistons, ported heads, bigger cams (same as we got you), stock venture trans (for now). Virtually the same setup you have less the chrome and trans work. He ended up with 152.5 mains (with our jet kit) and still needed to go a bit leaner I think. His power was 136/86 and I think would have been a bit higher with another jet change. This was stock CDI too and Carr wheels like yours.

Sean

Thanks for the reply Sean. After our talk I think I am going to try the 155s.
Couple of reasons
1. This bike has ran lean since I brought it to Sea Level.
2. Jumping from 157s to 152 seems like a big jump, so I will go one step at a time and test. It very well may be I end up needing 152s but that is just so close to stock it seems weird since the motor is 1300 and I have the Kerker :confused2:

Here is something else I was meaning to ask, because when I have it on the dyno with the big cams I dont think I am going to get the best A/F readings because of the overlap.

From what I remember the increase valve operlap will allow some of the exhaust gases to still be in the cylinder and rush back into the intake diluting the inlet charge. Also big cams will cause gross exhuast gas dilution of the a/f mixture at idle and will more than likely require a richer mixuture.

Soooo with all that said any idea of what I should be shooting for on the idle mix???

Doesnt the idle mix affect the WOT mix to some degree???

Or should I not worry about that too much and just shoot for 12.5-13 at WOT???

Mark, Gary, Jeff feel free to chime in. I appreciate any and all help I can get.
Cheers:punk:

Back