New ClipOns!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffee_brake

Reaction score
I tried some 41mm clipons for my '02, I loved the way they felt and looked but I couldn't use mirrors, not even bar end mirrors, and the extra weight on the front end resulted in nasty handling. Combined with the rearsets, it had a drag-bike feel to it.

Budget is key. I got a good deal on used, Ebay of course.

I scored an adjustble set of clipons in 41mm, these should make a big difference, they will fall somewhere between drag bars in the risers and straight-out clipons.

Can't wait to put 'em on...I don't know who made 'em but the price was right!

Attachments

• clipons.jpg
    clipons.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 32
" coffee " what do you mean , " nasty handling " ? .. I was thinking about a set of those last year !

Well CR, it's not supposed to be nasty handling, but any extra weight on the front end, especially weight that is composed of the rider, exaggerates any handling weirdness up there.
In my case, the rubber washer at the steering stem assembly is toast and it makes the front end wiggle over every bump when my weight's on it. That and we all know the engineering on the front end leaves something to be desired when off the drag strip.

Without rearsets, clipons are going to be a weird position for most folks. Heck none of my friends likes my Vmax at all because the feet are rear of the hips.
I've gone as far as I could to get the bars down and further out from me, I've replaced the risers with shorter Star ones turned backwards to get drag bars further from me. Still not enough. But the normal straight-off-the-forks clip-ons were too far. I tried Clubman bars but the angle at the wrist was torture for me, I'm a drag-bar kind of gal.

What I'm saying is, clip-ons will likely work best with rearset pegs, and then it's a matter of the right reach.

Check these out, the Honda Hawk also has 41mm forks, and the clipons come stock with some rise:

Attachments

• clipons.jpg
    clipons.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 11
I tried some 41mm clipons for my '02, I loved the way they felt and looked but I couldn't use mirrors, not even bar end mirrors, and the extra weight on the front end resulted in nasty handling. Combined with the rearsets, it had a drag-bike feel to it.

Budget is key. I got a good deal on used, Ebay of course.

I scored an adjustble set of clipons in 41mm, these should make a big difference, they will fall somewhere between drag bars in the risers and straight-out clipons.

Can't wait to put 'em on...I don't know who made 'em but the price was right!

I can see Your bike is 2001 so it supouse to have 43mm inner tubes.

I think you are trying to fix a problem most people don't have. I do like the adjustable risers you found but it's all personal preference if you ask me.

hopefully those will work. I had purchased adjustable clip ons for my Vmax and had issues with them fitting due to the protrusions for the top triple tree. I scrapped the idea after much fiddling.

Latest posts

Back