New Engine Paint Job

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Today I masked off areas with blue masking tape and used Rustoleum 500 degree black spray paint to paint my faded out vmax engine. I will post pictures tomorrow but I can tell you this paint is pretty much a perfect match. It has made a world of difference in the look of the vmax engine. I painted after a little cool down after a ride. The engine was still warm.

This bike had sit outside for years under the previous owner. Dirt dauber nests everywhere! It has really come a long way in the last two months.

It is running great. That v-boost really kicks in new torque. Enjoying this bike now.

Before and after pics tomorrow.

Here are before and after pictures. I am real happy with it. Now I have to polish the aluminum.

Attachments

• LeftSideBefore.jpg
    LeftSideBefore.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 426
  • AfterPaintLeftSide.jpg
    AfterPaintLeftSide.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 406
  • RightSideBefore.jpg
    RightSideBefore.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 375
  • AfterPaintRightSide.jpg
    AfterPaintRightSide.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 388
I tried a 500 degree black paint some time ago but it lasted a month or two... but can?t say I did It right.
Wish you better luck! If it work good please tell me how did you painted It, please. My motor stayed about a year parked near a beach on she?s previous owner. I?ve painted the body but not the motor.

EDIT: Needless to say but your motor is real good looking! Well done!!

Last edited:
We bead blast our engines and then do a nice paint job on them. This one looks good for being done in the chassis but it's still not like getting it out and a complete paint job.

Sean

Sean I think it is a good thing I don't live in your town. You would have my bike most of the time, and my money..........I am close enough though, Thunder Valley

I would love to have it done the right way too but I too don't have the money for that yet. Am hoping for a lottery win then yea, whatever I want, right?

But in the absence of money, a $6 can of Rustoleum 500 degree engine paint and a roll of blue painting masking tape for $3.50 resulted in pretty good results.

Hey, if I need to redo in a year, well it took me less than 45 minutes to do this quickie!

I also used the high temp paint from the auto parts store. It still looks good after a year and a half. Good preparation is key. Clean and decrease well. Then use paint prep solvent. It eats into and softens up the existing finish surface, helping the new paint to adhere.

Im doing mine this week.. I ordered Eastwood ceramic engine paint in qt can. Im gonna use a airbrush at a low air pressure .. I didn't want to use a rattle can. I think and hope its gonna good. FYI scotch brite 2000 grit wet sand and good aluminum polish makes the aluminum on engine shine! Take one valve cover bolt out at a time fit some paper towels in the hole and polish away looks good and wont hurt gasket if you take one bolt out at a time

I thought of airbrushing but the cost of the paint was high. How this happened, one day was just tinkering with it, already had the rattle can and blue tape, and I just started taping. Then just started spraying. I found I could control the spray pretty good. The Rustoleum does not run as much as some paints, it more sticks and that is it's saving grace.

Anyway, would love to hear about your project and see before and after pictures.

I got the before this weekend ill have the after.. yes it was $ 44 for a qt of eastwoods paint but it sounds worth it.. chip resistant is what sold me

I would love to have it done the right way too but I too don't have the money for that yet. Am hoping for a lottery win then yea, whatever I want, right?

But in the absence of money, a $6 can of Rustoleum 500 degree engine paint and a roll of blue painting masking tape for $3.50 resulted in pretty good results.

Hey, if I need to redo in a year, well it took me less than 45 minutes to do this quickie!
Wow good onya mate, nice job, i suppose I have a spare 45 min to do mine :)

As far as the cost of paint, the oem paint seems like was 80 bucks, and you may even need to buy another can of something, and it cost 80 bucks.

Wow it looks cool nice job, My vmax had motor work dun to it but when it was put back in the frame they did not paint the motor. I painted the motor the same way you did to I used Por15 paint it's been about 6 months on my bike still look good.

Looks good.

Looks great i just bought a Quart of Eastwood ceramic engine paint cost a lot more than 6 bucks.keep us posted on how it holds up.thanks

We bead blast our engines and then do a nice paint job on them. This one looks good for being done in the chassis but it's still not like getting it out and a complete paint job.

Sean
Doesn't COST like taking out the motor and having it done either!! (could be 1/2 or more the cost of the bike) heh

Latest posts

Back