New front end options?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakecharmr

Reaction score
Just wondering what options there are for new and better forks? I won't be getting into this project till later this year but was wondering what my options and cost will be. As well if anyone has some pics of different setups plz post.. I'm hoping for one that I can add a steering stabilizer fairly easy.

Thanks.

Possibilities are endless depending on how deep your pockets are. Search optimal carbone and look through the 30 galleries of Vmax pictures. Most guys go with r1 forks with custom trees from cycle one-off. That's gonna be $1400 but you keep your wheel and fender. There are other ways, too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

$1400 is on the cheap side and not always going to cover the complete cost. BUT, it can be done depending on how cheaply you can get the front end. We're starting to work on our own versions since getting them has provided difficult lately from other sources.

We are hoping to provide it for cheaper then the $1400 even but will know more soon.

Of course the later model forks are available (I have a few to pick from) and give a marginal gain. It used to be an even better gain since you got the big brakes with it. But, since we've come out with the busa brake option this is no longer a selling point.

I'm still researching these options also, looking forward to see what you have concerning the r1 front..

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

it depends what you $$$ and what look you want. i wanted 6 pot callipers i also wanted the inner tube to be gold nitridius. so i went with gsxr 1000 k1-k2. i had a project in my head that is geting real. chrome wheel calliper triple trees outer fork tube with gold inner tube. costed me more than 2000$ with the coo triple trees but it is sweet

Attachments

• 2011-04-24 14.04.09.jpg
    2011-04-24 14.04.09.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 2011-04-29 16.53.59.jpg
    2011-04-29 16.53.59.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20131023_143745.jpg
    20131023_143745.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20131217_220519.jpg
    IMG_20131217_220519.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 88
Honest i cant see spending the coin on inverted forks because you still got piggy back shocks in the rear so what are you really gaining, i say if you are not going for looks progressive springs first.

Honest i cant see spending the coin on inverted forks because you still got piggy back shocks in the rear so what are you really gaining, i say if you are not going for looks progressive springs first.

My biggest issue is I've had a few death wobbles that I've managed to pull through with other bikes and I know the USD's are a lot stiffer and prevent this more than the standard set up..

The idea that USD forks are needed to eliminate wobble is a bit absurd. Proper maintenance is all that is required. I've heard of maybe 2 cases of an incurable wobble but that is very rare. Makes sure the steering stem bearings are in good shape. its surprising how they can feel OK but after you remove the front wheel, brakes, etc....you may notice a notchy feeling that was masked when the other components were installed. Not sure why the weight makes a difference but, it does.

Check wheel bearings for play.

Remove rear wheel, differential, and shocks and check the swingarm bearings. The arm should move smoothly and free but have no side to side slop.

USD are are huge improvement over stock. I would not consider them a huge improvement over properly setup stock with aftermarket springs. Don't get me wrong, there is a difference. You pay a lot for that difference though.

I've had stock, stock with aftermarket springs, stock with springs and intiminators, and usd with springs and revalved for the max. The usd is best but the stock with springs was good, much better than stock, and affordable. The bike did what I neede it to do without issue. My usd setup has amazing brakes though!

Setups we're testing currently:
91-93 FZR1000
94-96 YZX750R
02-03 R1
04-07 R1
05 (and whatever years are the same) R6 - This setup is for sure one we can rule out
99-07 Hayabusa
06-10 ZX14

I am also trying to look for other setups that might work too. The later FJR and Concours 1400 are both viable options. A friend had a Suzuki Maruader that had nice long inverteds so might get a set of them to look at as well. There are other Yamaha's like the FZ1, and Super Tenere (though I think there is too much travel in those). I even like the KTM stuff and Buell.

91-93 FZR1000
94-96 YZX750R
02-03 R1
04-07 R1
05 (and whatever years are the same) R6 - This setup is for sure one we can rule out
99-07 Hayabusa
06-10 ZX14

I am also trying to look for other setups that might work too. The later FJR and Concours 1400 are both viable options. A friend had a Suzuki Maruader that had nice long inverteds so might get a set of them to look at as well. There are other Yamaha's like the FZ1, and Super Tenere (though I think there is too much travel in those). I even like the KTM stuff and Buell.

Sean a nice clean setup i had in mind was triumph tiger 1050 complete with wheel and brake. i think the length of the forks are simillar with the stock V-max has so no extenstions will be need it .

91-93 FZR1000
94-96 YZX750R
02-03 R1
04-07 R1
99-07 Hayabusa
06-10 ZX14

Suggestion:

As Rusty said the warrior and what about the MT-01?

yamaha_mt01_2008_9_lgw.jpg

The R6 i think are short. And the longer R1s are the 07-08. Im currently replacing my 05 R1s for the 07 R1s to get 6 pot radial as well.
A very used model here is also the GSXR1100 that uses tokico 6 pots same as Hayabusa and a lot of Ninjas and ZRX1200...

The Tiger I think has too much travel. The Early Warrior is the same as the early R1's so should be no problem too. Will have to pickup a set of the 07/08 R1's. I really think the way we're going to really shoot for is the hayabusa setup. Had a set made up for a customer by another shop and it took forever to get done. We're going to try some mod work ourselves and get the final product made by another shop to try and get them made on a quicker turn around.

I have the gen 1 busa forks here and have a triple on the way. I am looking at a ZX14 set and should have them here soon. The Marauder set will hopefully be here in a week or so which I think is a good option for length but not as many available as the gen 1 busa stuff which is everywhere.

I'm guessing a excellent front end would make the Maxx feel like a completely different ride??

Isn't busa shorter than R1s Sean? I had that impression when i was looking for forks...

Yes, busa is shorter than R1 and gsxr forks. The lower clamping area is 55mm (TL too) whereas most other modern USD forks are 54mm. The top clamp area is 50mm though.

There is a fork swap chart out there on the net somewhere that has a lot of good info.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Just FYI since its not on the chart:

My gen 2 busa forks measured 715mm from top of the forks to C/L of the axle.

Center to center of the fork tubes measured 214mm.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back