New Harley Screwjob..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Four

Reaction score
So get this, a buddy I work with bought a new hardly streetglide..(or some such dealio)..
$20,000.
He had to get the 1st fluid change at the dealer.
Hes gone maybe 3000 miles since then.
Now he noticed..a. slight tranny leak..AND burns 1/2 qt. of oil in 3000 miles.
Dealer said..burnin the oil is within spec...AND..warranty states that it covers broken parts...but NOT LEAKS.

can you belive it?
I heard that they got a reputation of leaking..but dand..not a brand new one.

Just tellin the story.
T$

Warranty will cover leaks. I would almost lay money the leak is coming from the transmission door there are 2 bolts on the bottom that always come loose & should be checked on PDI & I check them every service.

Those 2 bolts are actually a recognized recall. Any REPUTABLE Harley dealership will fix it free of charge. They actually have to install longer bolts and thread sealant on the bottom bolts of the ” trap door” on the tranny.

Those 2 bolts are actually a recognized recall. Any REPUTABLE Harley dealership will fix it free of charge. They actually have to install longer bolts and thread sealant on the bottom bolts of the ? trap door? on the tranny.

Interesting..
thanks Ill pass that info along to my friend.
You guys are alright. ;)

as far as warranty..Im going by what he told me which was that It is actually written in ink ..that it doesnt cover leaks. which sounds like a raw deal to me..tho I didnt read it myself.

harley has made leaps and bounds since the 70"s.....eveloution engine...rubber engine mounts...etc. they arent the oil spewing shake monsters of the past. one thing fer shure tho... a crappy dealer can totally ruin the new bike experience. if i was gonna shell out 20k...id dam shure do my homework.

Interesting..
thanks Ill pass that info along to my friend.
You guys are alright. ;)

as far as warranty..Im going by what he told me which was that It is actually written in ink ..that it doesnt cover leaks. which sounds like a raw deal to me..tho I didnt read it myself.
I think he should go to a diffrent dealer. I worked for Harley & never heard of a leak not being covered under warranty.

Well maybe theyll warranty the broken. parta. When it runs out of oil.Thats how Id play it.

In all fairness , the actual Harley Davidson motorcycle of today is a nice solid reliable machine that gives a well rounded feeling when you're riding it . THE problem is with the dealers and the attitudes of those that ride the image , NOT the bike .

The dealers ( not all , but a good many of the ones I've dealt with ) are , in my opinion , dispicable and arrogant to the point of disgusting . :damn angry:

Kind of a messenger and the message example...

One thing I do not understand is why these Harley guys don't buy a bike like the Raider S. I was at the dealership today sitting on one and it is a very well designed bike, fit and finish great, technology excellent for a huge air cooled twin, and I was quoted OTD on a 2012 S with 5 year Yama warranty $14,400.

Not Bad.

O

There are good dealers, and bad ones. I wanted a Max back in 99, but the local Yammi dealer was terrible back then and decided not to even talk to me when the wife and I were sitting on a brand new 99 with a wad of cash in my pocket. We walked out and went to the Honda dealer down the road who was glad to have my business. I would suggest your friend find another local dealer, or give HD a call about his troubles.

My Local Yammi dealer as usual wants full list on any parts, and if your not watching them like a hawk will try to charge more than list on some items.

About a year or so ago they started charging an additional shipping fee for any parts they didn't have on their shelf.

I won't do business with them any more, ever. I can call K&N and get it cheaper, faster and deliverd to my door step without wasting the gas to drive down there and show 'em how to use thier parts finders by dealing with K&N.

So in short there are bad dealers for every brand for sure.

I thought Harleys, Like Pratt & Whitney Radial airplane engines, needed to leak a little so you'd know they had oil in 'em....:rofl_200:

(I'm not bagging on the bike really, I think they build an ok bike for what it is, just not my cup of tea)

In all fairness , the actual Harley Davidson motorcycle of today is a nice solid reliable machine that gives a well rounded feeling when you're riding it . THE problem is with the dealers and the attitudes of those that ride the image , NOT the bike .

The dealers ( not all , but a good many of the ones I've dealt with ) are , in my opinion , dispicable and arrogant to the point of disgusting . :damn angry:

Kind of a messenger and the message example...

Right on Matt, my wife and I went into an HD dealership in Hyannis Friday night to check out a race prepped V-rod, right across from our favorite Chinese restaurant. The owner and the girl at the counter completely ignored us. Not one word to us. This isn't the first time in that situation. We?ve stood at a counter before with money in our hand to buy something while some DB told war stories about his hog. No sale.(shop in Plymouth is now closed) We're going to get some ratty denim clothes roll in the dirt and go back, after Tina blacks out every other tooth and puts a cutt on reading property of Steve-o. I'll hide the Vmax around the corner. Don't want to spook them. It's not the bike, it's SOME of the people that ride and worship the image to an extreme, and are exclusive of anyone not like them. Now where?s my Vmax towel?
biglaugh.gif

There are good dealerships. Try another if you don't get satisfaction. NF Sheldons HD up your way was always a good place to do business.

Sheldon's was the FIRST Harley dealer to play the attitude game with me...and that was back in the late 60's ( I was 19 at the time and had the cash in my pocket )...:damn angry: Was looking at a new bike and ASKED if he could do anything on the price...no attitude on my part , just a question any buyer would ask . His answer was " You're wasting my time , you should go buy a jap bike , these bikes are for men not boys . "...:ummm:

Haven't been back since...

Would i buy my harley under other circumstances? probably not. but i have some sentimental value. its been a pain to work on tho and doing simple things like checking the belt tension, when i went to the dealer to see if they had a pressure gauge tool i could buy i was almost laughed out of the place saying owners have no need to check that, a qualified tech has to.

Sheldon's was the FIRST Harley dealer to play the attitude game with me...and that was back in the late 60's ( I was 19 at the time and had the cash in my pocket )...:damn angry: Was looking at a new bike and ASKED if he could do anything on the price...no attitude on my part , just a question any buyer would ask . His answer was " You're wasting my time , you should go buy a jap bike , these bikes are for men not boys . "...:ummm:

Haven't been back since...
Guess we all had different experiences. I always got the parts I needed there, in stock usually. The local dealer was little help back then. I hear attitude stories from a lot of people that walked into a HD dealership. I don't get it. Do they only take money from people they like...lol. It's sad there is no Yamaha dealer closer than 50 miles or so now.

My dad spent a lot of time in his later years working as a errand runner and go-fer for a long time friend of his cycle repair shop. I heard plenty of horror stories from customers who came to Del's ( Dad's buddy ) shop after getting screwed by the local H-D stealership.

One thing I do not understand is why these Harley guys don't buy a bike like the Raider S. I was at the dealership today sitting on one and it is a very well designed bike, fit and finish great, technology excellent for a huge air cooled twin, and I was quoted OTD on a 2012 S with 5 year Yama warranty $14,400.

Not Bad.

O

For true "Harley Guys", it's a Hardley:confused2:

For me, every time we go to Daytona from south Florida, my H-D owning buddy & I play, "who's the first broken-down biker we see?" In over twenty years of trips to Daytona, I think it hasn't been a H-D- only once. You know, the biker dude genuflecting next to his ride, wondering why it stopped moving forward, started making some horrid noise, or began doing its PA Spindletop impression (related to the stuff pouring out of the Exxon Valdez).

Back