New headlight bulb, PIAA Xtreme White Plus

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanneal

Reaction score
Just plugged it in.
Moto version, vibration resistant
Made in Japan
39.99 dealer

Supposedly better than stock. Will advise once I drive at night.

Removed a Phillips H4 #12342, made in Germany. Don't know fit was the stock one or not.

Actually went to get the Sylvania, but the PIAA was all the dealer carried, and I was anxious.

Keep us posted. A head light improvement with out any cutting or wiring is a big deal.

Keep us posted. A head light improvement with out any cutting or wiring is a big deal.

Unless you like driving w/the equivalent of "one-eye shut," my advice is to bin the stock headlamp. Upgrading to another, better headlamp is so-easy, for reasons of safety, you should do it among the first mods.

Here's my headlamp mod:

• an EMGO bucket/bezel in 7" size
  • eBay rubber-insulated downtube brackets & 'ears' w/double machine screws/bolts
  • Harley halogen headlamp, bought used, w/o looking, I think it's 55/60 watts
At some point in the future I plan to go to a HID, probably from ddmtuning.com

The install was very straightforward, required no cutting, splicing or other mods to the stock harness.

I substituted longer machine screws for the ones that came in the downtube bracket/'ears' eBay kit, which made it much-easier to assemble.

I used rubber fender washers between the headlamp bucket and the 'ears' for additional vibration insulation. The position of the bucket is stable and doesn't move once set. If you look carefully at the bare bucket picture, you will notice I had the rubber fender washer on the outside of the bracket. I placed it after that between the bracket and the headlamp bucket, which worked much-better to dampen any vibration, and held the bucket in-position much better.

It probably cost me < $175 for all the parts. Removing the top triple tree to slide on the eBay downtube brackets instead of 'spreading' them enough to mount w/o having to remove the top triple tree probably took the most time.

The light output is wider, reaches farther, and has a sharp cut-off at the top of the beam. On the expressway, overhead signs are easily read from much-further-away. I haven't had anyone ride my bike towards me coming from the opposite direction, to check for a 'too-high' aiming, but I haven't had one person flash their high-beams at me.

Plus, I think the 7" headlamp improves the bike's look at the front. Aesthetics is a personal thing, but optical visibility and lumen output is a safety issue. A photometric exam I am sure would show the superiority of the mod, but I don't have a photometer. For now, I am satisfied, but I know going to a HID will be another magnitude of improvement.

Please note I have the stock flyscreen. The 7" bucket fits w/absolutely no interference which was a pleasant surprise as I was prepared to remove the flyscreen to make the mod work, but that wasn't necessary.

ABout the only thing that needs to be yet done is that all the electrical connections which used to 'live' inside the stock bucket are now exposed, as the wires aren't long-enough to reside inside the stock bucket. My plan there is to take a short length of bicycle innertube, and to place it over all the connectors (yes you have to disconnect the leads to slip the innertube over the wires, and re-connect them), and then use a zip tie just inside the ends of the innertube to 'gather' the wires together w/the innertube over them. I previously compared this to a 'sausage.' This would be much-easier to open for any maintenance as-opposed to using a couple of feet of electrical tape to make a cocoon around all the wires and their connectors. The tape residue is very messy if you need to remove the tape. And, if you're one of those people who likes to plan for roadside repairs, there is enough room inside the headlamp to place some replacement bulbs in foam-rubber and to stick them in-there, I suggest a headlamp and taillamp.:biglaugh:

Attachments

• headlight-Superbrace.jpg
    headlight-Superbrace.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Hlight.1.JPG
    Hlight.1.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Hlight.2.JPG
    Hlight.2.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Hlight.3.JPG
    Hlight.3.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Hlight.4.JPG
    Hlight.4.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Hlight.10 frontview.JPG
    Hlight.10 frontview.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 34
Unless you like driving w/the equivalent of "one-eye shut," my advice is to bin the stock headlamp. Upgrading to another, better headlamp is so-easy, for reasons of safety, you should do it among the first mods.

Here's my headlamp mod:

• an EMGO bucket/bezel in 7" size
  • eBay rubber-insulated downtube brackets & 'ears' w/double machine screws/bolts
  • Harley halogen headlamp, bought used, w/o looking, I think it's 55/60 watts
At some point in the future I plan to go to a HID, probably from ddmtuning.com

The install was very straightforward, required no cutting, splicing or other mods to the stock harness.

I substituted longer machine screws for the ones that came in the downtube bracket/'ears' eBay kit, which made it much-easier to assemble.

I used rubber fender washers between the headlamp bucket and the 'ears' for additional vibration insulation. The position of the bucket is stable and doesn't move once set. If you look carefully at the bare bucket picture, you will notice I had the rubber fender washer on the outside of the bracket. I placed it after that between the bracket and the headlamp bucket, which worked much-better to dampen any vibration, and held the bucket in-position much better.

It probably cost me < $175 for all the parts. Removing the top triple tree to slide on the eBay downtube brackets instead of 'spreading' them enough to mount w/o having to remove the top triple tree probably took the most time.

The light output is wider, reaches farther, and has a sharp cut-off at the top of the beam. On the expressway, overhead signs are easily read from much-further-away. I haven't had anyone ride my bike towards me coming from the opposite direction, to check for a 'too-high' aiming, but I haven't had one person flash their high-beams at me.

Plus, I think the 7" headlamp improves the bike's look at the front. Aesthetics is a personal thing, but optical visibility and lumen output is a safety issue. A photometric exam I am sure would show the superiority of the mod, but I don't have a photometer. For now, I am satisfied, but I know going to a HID will be another magnitude of improvement.

Please note I have the stock flyscreen. The 7" bucket fits w/absolutely no interference which was a pleasant surprise as I was prepared to remove the flyscreen to make the mod work, but that wasn't necessary.

ABout the only thing that needs to be yet done is that all the electrical connections which used to 'live' inside the stock bucket are now exposed, as the wires aren't long-enough to reside inside the stock bucket. My plan there is to take a short length of bicycle innertube, and to place it over all the connectors (yes you have to disconnect the leads to slip the innertube over the wires, and re-connect them), and then use a zip tie just inside the ends of the innertube to 'gather' the wires together w/the innertube over them. I previously compared this to a 'sausage.' This would be much-easier to open for any maintenance as-opposed to using a couple of feet of electrical tape to make a cocoon around all the wires and their connectors. The tape residue is very messy if you need to remove the tape. And, if you're one of those people who likes to plan for roadside repairs, there is enough room inside the headlamp to place some replacement bulbs in foam-rubber and to stick them in-there, I suggest a headlamp and taillamp.:biglaugh:
Nice Mod and description FM! I would add that if you added a H4 headlight relay setup you could get the desired length to tuck the wiring away in the shell (relay wiring) and the stock connectors back within the protected area behind the steering head. Contact Jim at Eastern Beaver for the relay which has several optional wiring lengths that should fit the bill for this application. You'll have protected wiring and all the voltage your battery can deliver to your headlight. I've done it to my stock bucket and the relay makes a tremendous difference. Below is my headlight ($6 ebay bulb, 55/100) next to a HID setup (two bikes on left, mine is the red one) both on high beam.

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 21
Nice Mod and description FM! I would add that if you added a H4 headlight relay setup you could get the desired length to tuck the wiring away in the shell (relay wiring) and the stock connectors back within the protected area behind the steering head. Contact Jim at Eastern Beaver for the relay which has several optional wiring lengths that should fit the bill for this application. You'll have protected wiring and all the voltage your battery can deliver to your headlight. I've done it to my stock bucket and the relay makes a tremendous difference. Below is my headlight ($6 ebay bulb, 55/100) next to a HID setup (two bikes on left, mine is the red one) both on high beam.

Thanks, 'Redbone,' for the reminder of Eastern Beaver, I have that place bookmarked from a prior mention, he has practical stuff, reasonably-priced. I am gonna do the relay mod to my WOLO airhorn too. Don't forget to fuse your additional battery connections! He also has some compact multiple circuits add-on boxes that would be just-right for this type of mod, and which would leave additional circuits avail for others. I have an additional front lighting project I haven't gotten around to, the 7" bucket was the 1st part. I'll post-up after I get it going.

BTW, I just spoke w/my buddy who works for GM @ the Warren MI Tech Center, he has a cabin by you, it's on the shore of Lake Superior about 45 minutes due north of Houghton in the U.P. It's been in their family for generations & he just bought-out some other family members, so he owns it w/his sister from Houston. As he lives by Lake Orion, about 10 minutes from the Auburn Palace and the Chrysler tech center, it's a trip to get there. he just bought a Zodiac inflatable w/a 10 hp 'kicker' to leave up there.

Thanks, 'Redbone,' for the reminder of Eastern Beaver, I have that place bookmarked from a prior mention, he has practical stuff, reasonably-priced. I am gonna do the relay mod to my WOLO airhorn too. Don't forget to fuse your additional battery connections! He also has some compact multiple circuits add-on boxes that would be just-right for this type of mod, and which would leave additional circuits avail for others. I have an additional front lighting project I haven't gotten around to, the 7" bucket was the 1st part. I'll post-up after I get it going.

BTW, I just spoke w/my buddy who works for GM @ the Warren MI Tech Center, he has a cabin by you, it's on the shore of Lake Superior about 45 minutes due north of Houghton in the U.P. It's been in their family for generations & he just bought-out some other family members, so he owns it w/his sister from Houston. As he lives by Lake Orion, about 10 minutes from the Auburn Palace and the Chrysler tech center, it's a trip to get there. he just bought a Zodiac inflatable w/a 10 hp 'kicker' to leave up there.
I already have too many things bolted on the battery with the relay for the headlight, power to a cigarette lighter receptacle and the bikes power. I also need to tidy up the cabling as there is too much extra wire bundled up below the overflow tank.
I will most likely go with EB PC-8 fuse box, it's small and should fit easily somewhere but I haven't figured the where yet. Open to suggestions as to where to put it. Too much going on atm to get into that project off the ground. I hope I have time before Thunder!

Back