New Helmet: Bell Star Carbon

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I just picked up a new helmet from a Michigan vendor Sport Bike Track Gear. A new year old helmet with a 50% price reduction due to a stock reduction sale I walked out their door with 3xl Bell Star Carbon special edition William Dunlop replica for $380, originally priced at $699!
I had tried on well over 20 helmets so my ears were feeling a bit like cauliflowers when I slipped on an Arai Signet-Q which fit like a glove but at over $700 it did not fit my wallet! The salesman thought that he had one that would fit the bill in the Bell lineup which might also be a little friendlier to my budget. When I tried the William Dunlop replica on in fit every bit as good as the Arai. It also felt extremely light which will be a welcome relief from the heavy Vemar helmet I have been wearing for the last 4 years!
I find the look is understated in carbon fiber and contrasting white design apparently inspired by William Dunlop. Here is a review link and picture of the helmet I purchased: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2015...arbon-special-edition-william-dunlop-replica/

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk w/ vboost![emoji469]

Thanks, BD! It was one those moments when you slide it on over your ears and immediately know it's the one.
I did not get the transitions visor, I like to run a clear shield and on sunny days use sunglasses. I still may try a transition lens but they are kind of pricey at ~$120.00; I'll read up on them and see how the reviews go.
If anyone has experience with Bell's transition lens give me some feedback.

After much deliberation and wearing the helmet while walking around the house I am returning the helmet to Sportbike Track Gear.
The Bell Star Carbon is a very nice helmet but is designed as a race/ sportbike helmet which means the venting is set up for the tuck/ forward lean position, a position that I will only ever be in for short periods of time.
I am going to try a Arai Signet-Q which was the same line of helmets that fit me very well, but was $200 more than the Bell. I looked at and tried on the Signet-Q Pro-Tour but thought the visor was a bit gimmicky and too much more $$$. The solid color line of the Q line pricewise is at the top of my affordability range and the Aluminum Silver color works for me. Most of the graphics on helmets don't appeal to me but the Arai US Flag black frost looked pretty nice but the price didn't.

My older sister has arai as a sponser and swears by the signet.
Thanks Blax, it was the first helmet that fit me in a day of trying on around 25 helmets. It should solve any helmet issues I have for the next 5 years!:punk:
It sometimes sux to live away from having retailers close by to try on helmets but thankfully I can just visit those places when I need something rather than have to deal with all that comes with living near to it. Besides if I had another Vmaxer too close to me I'd be much poorer!:rofl_200:

You mean RICHER!!!
When I was 25 and moved from West Texas to Los Angeles I could not believe the abundance of shops. I was 1 block from Supershops that at the time was Don Garlits sponser.

Well I ended up getting a Shoei Qwest @ $330.00 I took the chance that it would fit since I didn't remember how it fit. I was looking at the Arai Signet-Q which fit like a glove but would cost nearly double the Qwest so I ruled it out in the end!
So it looks like I made a good choice as the helmet fits very nice and it offers a pinlock system for those foggy morning/ cool weather rides. I didn't like any of the more expensive graphic helmets so I just went with a gloss black helmet. I know a real creative choice but I have a buddy that has a small graphic business that between the two of us we should be able to dress it up a little.
Also, now I can rationalize that I saved $330 so the monkey will be out shopping...:surf:
"Let's see, a GPS, Go Pro, Delorme InReach, Armored jeans, Givi Topcase...
Last year I upgraded the armor to CE level 2, better armored gloves, this winter added a touring windshield (Givi a31), MotoPump tire pump, Anti Gravity Micro-Start(jumpstarter/ electronics charger). Touring gear is shaping up!

Back