New job application within the company

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88vmx12

Reaction score
Well for a few of you know that I travel working industrial construction jobs for the same company. when I started back in 96' I was a young kid , but had some skill and tools. The tool thing is a rarity for newbies. Anyways years past and for about the last 8 years this one boss has been trying to get me to move up to a forman and I keep telling him NO! Well when I came to this job he told me straight out " you are not getting away with it this time!". So I get here and the superintendant that told me that has a talk with me about " Don't you think it is about time you move up?" So I agree and the General Forman under the Superintendant first sends Jesse to Forman training about 2 months ago. I am still waiting for these classes that you have to do. In the mean time, or should I say since Thanksgiving Jesse and I have been doing the job anyways with no pay increase for running the guys on the crew. The General Forman (GF)is never around to check on us. So you know he trusts us andthat the job will get done. After several years of dealing with this GF and tired of making him look good ! It is time to move on and get away from this GF. I had the QA QC manager talk to me about 2 new positions that opened up. So I ask him right in front of the GF "Jerry what does the position pay?" "more than you are getting right now!"Jerry says. I then tell him (remember right in front of my GF) "well sign me up!" Jerry then tells me... " I will take you in a heartbeat! I need someone like you that knows the drawings and can read them, But I don't want to have a fight on my hands between the superintendant and your GF here." So that is where is was dropped until a few days later. I end up running into the QA QC manager and pulled him off to the side telling him.. "Jerry I am serious about the opening you have. " We talk wages , hrs , and perdium. Well no matter what just to transfer to that position my wage will not go down but has the potential to go up $7 an hour and my perdium is $480 more a month. I am a major moron not to try and get this job. I basically have it already with Jerry the QA QC manager. It is just waiting for the Superintendant to read Jerrys email asking for my release. I have to tread lightly and not rock the boat. The job is open and I have a shoe in but it can be screwed up quickly. You see this company has jobs world wide. My chance to get into QA QC is right now! Say I was just to Quit! Then try to get re hired back in... It is impossibe. The Superintendant could be so pissed off at me that he could put a hiring freeze on me for 30 days "world wide" Then If Jerry tried to hire me back in and the Superintendant seen my name on the roster he could stop me from getting back onto that job. This Super is one of the big big whigs on the job so I could cut my own throat. Anyways might not be too long before I can party :punk:. I just hope the prick will let go of me.....:worthy:

Sorry I was just excited to have a chance at getting away from the more physical work and prepairing my life for a better job and better retirement!

Gannon

G: Cool. Now the Mod Monkey can really mess with you...

Good Luck,
Dave

Sweet! Sounds like bike budget might go up pretty shortly lol!

Sean

I just made a response & lost it. Gonna try again.

My advice to you is to ask the moderator to take-down your post. You don't need this getting-back to your Supervisor. Do it now.

Follow-your company's H.R. policies exactly. Do NOT speak about this w/your co-workers or the Super. The decision to advance you will come from above the Supervisor's level. If the Super. calls you in and wants to discuss this, ask him if this is part of the H.R. process. If he says, 'no,' then ask for your shop steward. if you aren't unionized, just say you are considering options. If he still presses you, do not say anything more. Just say the same thing, and do not be drawn-out into saying anything else. "I don't want to say anything else" is OK for you to say, and only that.

If you are unsure of the H.R. process, contact them, do NOT rely on others' opinions! Then, follow H.R. regulations exactly. The less you say to anyone else in the workplace, the better-off you will be. Do NOT be 'egged-on' to saying something you will regret later. It's really no-one else's business, except yours. If in-doubt, keep your mouth shut.

H.R. regulations are narrowly and specifically-defined. Before you respond to a request in the workplace from someone, be sure that you are following H.R. regulations and that they are too. If in-doubt, say nothing and then check with H.R. That is your right as an employee, do not let someone push you into making a response you didn't want to make. The less you say to anyone, the better-off you are going to be. Big companies especially follow H.R. policies and procedures because those are there for very good reasons and it relates to what they legally are allowed to say and do. Know the process, and keep your mouth shut about it with anyone at work (except H.R., of course) or anyone outside of work except your spouse or an attorney.

Now go-back and read the second paragraph.

I just made a response & lost it. Gonna try again.

My advice to you is to ask the moderator to take-down your post. You don't need this getting-back to your Supervisor. Do it now.

Follow-your company's H.R. policies exactly. Do NOT speak about this w/your co-workers or the Super. The decision to advance you will come from above the Supervisor's level. If the Super. calls you in and wants to discuss this, ask him if this is part of the H.R. process. If he says, 'no,' then ask for your shop steward. if you aren't unionized, just say you are considering options. If he still presses you, do not say anything more. Just say the same thing, and do not be drawn-out into saying anything else. "I don't want to say anything else" is OK for you to say, and only that.

If you are unsure of the H.R. process, contact them, do NOT rely on others' opinions! Then, follow H.R. regulations exactly. The less you say to anyone else in the workplace, the better-off you will be. Do NOT be 'egged-on' to saying something you will regret later. It's really no-one else's business, except yours. If in-doubt, keep your mouth shut.

H.R. regulations are narrowly and specifically-defined. Before you respond to a request in the workplace from someone, be sure that you are following H.R. regulations and that they are too. If in-doubt, say nothing and then check with H.R. That is your right as an employee, do not let someone push you into making a response you didn't want to make. The less you say to anyone, the better-off you are going to be. Big companies especially follow H.R. policies and procedures because those are there for very good reasons and it relates to what they legally are allowed to say and do. Know the process, and keep your mouth shut about it with anyone at work (except H.R., of course) or anyone outside of work except your spouse or an attorney.

Now go-back and read the second paragraph.

Also....NEVER make the mistake of believing HR works for you.....They work for the company and will protect the companies interest in advance of yours as long as it's legal to do so......I've seen a few guys coming form a union environment that believed HR was thier advocate, and got slapped down pretty hard..

R.M. is correct in that respect, because they ARE the company. The only way they will be a place of recourse for you is if another employee tries to get you to do something not in-agreement with the rules and regulations, then H.R. must back you if you bring it to their attention. In that case, you need to document everything, and I mean everything! Phone calls, conversations, emails, etc. because when it goes before any entity, your record will confirm your behavior and that of others.

Despite what is going on in places like WI, unions still carry clout, and if you are in a union shop, they are your representation, assuming you are covered, and are not part of an exempt group, such as management. Proceed from a point of information and knowledge, look-up the rules and regulations yourself. Your company probably has all that online, all you need to do is to find it and read it until you understand.

Sorry for the Hi-Jack, but here's my take from working for the 2nd largest chemcial company in the world for 19 years, before leaving for smaller, greener aznd more rewarding pastures.

Maybe mid size companies are different, my knowledge is of the oil and chemical giants since nearly everyone I know is associated with them some how.

Avoid aproaching HR in any manner apearing as expectant of trouble, going in there looking for advice is fine, but going in there with a problem with a co-worker, supv. or mgr. almost always makes it worse......

If a job situation forces you to take problems to HR, who ever is "right" by the policies and procedures of he company will "win", especially since most HR employees are young and idealistic and haven't been bitch slapped by reality yet.......But really in the back of the bosses minds and everyone else's they are gonna be thinking that you should have been able to work the problem out your self or avoid whatever situations that created the problem.

And,

In a non-union environment, if you use HR as an advocate in anything but the most EXTREME case of abuse heaped in your direction, and manage to "win" against another employee or especially someone above you, You're MARKED for life and deemed untrustable by many, being unable to resolve your problems without trying to "hang it someones ass" using HR as a weapon....The end result can greatly effect your working environment and co-employee relationships........If your non-union and going to HR it's almost like being a cop and going to Internal Affairs...

Sorry for the Hi-Jack:biglaugh:

For your personal situation, if I were told by the QC guy he wanted me I would simply check on what the rules are in that situation and abide by them. Typically a request from a another dept. to release you to them would be honored in my experience, if it's not then it's a case for you to make that your not being promoted where you are and need to transfer in order to progress....

Another tip..From a former professional tongue in cheek suck ass,...Always express your desires, needs, and wants in terms of how the company benefits, that's all they give a shit about anyway, but remember that sometimes when your dealing with someone they aren't the "company" they are an individual with thier own goals and ambitions within the company and you need to think in terms of what they personally want and what motivates them.........

As my old boss always said, the best way to get what you want is to figure out what the other person wants first, and deduce thier motivations from that....

Holy fuck I don't miss all that shit, and glad I got out...........I hated the politics of working for a huge company, now all I have to do is make the customer happy, and bring these jobs in under budget, and that makes the office happy, don't even go into the office but maybe once a month, and after hours if I can simply to drop off hard copies of paperwork......

It doesn't hurt that my old boss is a former co-worker from 25 years ago and the vice-president was a college student engineering co-op/intern 17 years ago out at that the plant I use to work at...Luckily I treated him kindly back then, not knowing he would be part of my current food chain 17 years later..Sometimes these co-op/intern engineering students take a lot of shit from the old timer maintenace people......I know some guys that can't get hired here because of that..

YEAH! well my super was hot ! He was cussing me out more or less wanted to call me a "cock sucker" but the guy is one of the most self centered pricks I know. If it doesn't help him out in anyway then go F yourself.. Actually I am thinking he might try to fire me over the deal.

G

I always took a promotion, the company I worked for sent me to special schools of all sorts, sent me out to look at equipment they were interested in buying, included me when meetings about important decisions on cost cutting ect. ect. Allowed me to be start up engineer on some equipment I was familiar with, even thou I had no degree and gave me a bonus if I came in under budget. We always had vendors visit the company and knew my abilities and would always let me know if I ever needed a recommendation for a job, just let them know. I had all sorts of job offers from other companies these vendors visited, so by taking the promotions it kinda led to job security. And bottom line , I made a better living for my family even thou I had a high profile job and had to answer a lot of "WHY THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN? Usually it was something one of my workers had screwed up, but they were my responsibility and I had to be on the hot seat and have a solution for a problem worker or it might have be a mechanical failure. When I retired my pay was equal to the head operator working 100 hrs. per week. I recommend taking the job if you think it fits your profile, and only you know what that is.

Just tread the straight & narrow & be sure the QA/QC guy knows you are interested, check with H.R. to find out the correct procedure for applying, and do it. The foreskin doesn't want to lose you because you have been making his job so-much easier all this time and now he's going to lose you. File the paperwork, follow procedure, and inform the QA/QC guy you did it.

Latest posts

Back