New LED voltmeter w/ pics

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkyle187

Reaction score

Attachments

• KIMG0029800.jpg
    KIMG0029800.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 120
  • KIMG0022text800.jpg
    KIMG0022text800.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 108
  • KIMG0023text800.jpg
    KIMG0023text800.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 97
  • KIMG0026text800.jpg
    KIMG0026text800.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 99
  • KIMG0027text800.jpg
    KIMG0027text800.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 97
  • KIMG0028800.jpg
    KIMG0028800.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 119
Its just a $15 early warning low voltage meter. If it reads below 12 volts...time to get it to the shop and it looks cool...

I like how the case of the volt meter matches the speedo cover. LED is hard to see in the sunlight, an LCD one would be nice

Hi, i hope you dont mind a noob question, what is the use or need for it?

The VMax has a notoriously weak and problem prone charging system. Think of this as an early detection system.

i see, so it s basicly to see if charging system is healty and if something happens you know alredy where it comes from.
Thanks, good to know

Just bought 2 of the Kuryakyn meters today. I had looked into this years ago but these L.E.D. meters look a little different. Spec's say they are good to 0.5 volt. Close enough for me. I think they mount with sticky tape----I'll make some sheet alum or stainless brackets to get the angle right.
Just another winter project.:thumbs up:

Lew

My opinion and experiance with the Kuryakyn meters: They are way too bright. I have one on my DRZ400s (which alerted me to a bad alternator, now replaced). It is mounted under the speedo assy. I had to cover all the LED's except for the 14v green one with black electrical tape, and at night I can still see the others. The main problem is all the LED's are lit, not just the voltage at the present time. The night/day sensor works, but goes from bright to real bright. But as far as accuracy they measure the voltage correct. I did not want to have to tape or cover up part of it on a nice street bike, my other meter is on a tractor.

I do like jkyle187 meter and the job he did, first class. I have also thought of (bear with me) disassembling a Kuryakyn meter and using only 10, 12, and 14v LEDs and mounting them closely together in the dummy indicator blank. Then remote mount the rest of the meter assy. with just small wires running to the LEDs. But with the cost of the Kuryakyn, it would be hard to rip apart a new one.

I do like jkyle187 meter and the job he did, first class. I have also thought of (bear with me) disassembling a Kuryakyn meter and using only 10, 12, and 14v LEDs and mounting them closely together in the dummy indicator blank. Then remote mount the rest of the meter assy. with just small wires running to the LEDs. But with the cost of the Kuryakyn, it would be hard to rip apart a new one.

Less than $3.00 on ebay

Attachments

• IMAG0130.jpg
    IMAG0130.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAG0126.jpg
    IMAG0126.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0125.jpg
    IMAG0125.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0135.jpg
    IMAG0135.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0133.jpg
    IMAG0133.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 41
I'll check that out on ebay. Thanks for doing the testing. Not quite ready for winter yet, but I will be doing more working than riding very soon. Talk to you later...

Here is what I did today...I really don't like it but it will work for now...I'm gonna look for a analog voltmeter, ya cant see it in bright daylight.
If it's analog you want, check out the Equus line of gauges. I used only the voltmeter from the 8100 series - a gauge set. About 30 dollars. 1 1/2" diameter. The gauge has an adjusting pot, so you can dial it in to true battery voltage. Also has illumination. Has worked for me flawlessly for two seasons now.
Cheers!

Attachments

• P1020744.jpg
    P1020744.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 37
Here is what I did today...I really don't like it but it will work for now...I'm gonna look for a analog voltmeter, ya cant see it in bright daylight.
If it's analog you want, check out the Equus line of gauges. I used only the voltmeter from the 8100 series - a gauge set. About 30 dollars. 1 1/2" diameter. The gauge has an adjusting pot, so you can dial it in to true battery voltage. Also has illumination. Has worked for me flawlessly for two seasons now.
Cheers!
Nice Miles, you have a work of art there.great job

Back