New Max owner. Is my clutch slipping?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taavinen

Reaction score
Hey Guys, please bear with me, i am a very new Max owner. I picked up a 1992 full power max in ABSOLUTELY mint condition with only 13700km on the clock. I have been giving her a bit but never taking it over 8500rpm. Here is the thing, when i rev it up to open the Vboost, sometimes it all of a sudden jumps in the revs quickly as the boost opens (sort of feels like the back of the bike lifts a little too). I have done it a number of times trying to work it out. The speed seems to correspond, but it is the jump in the revs straight after the boost kicks in which then levels out a bit while still increasing the revs. Is the clutch slipping, or could the tyre be spinning?
At one point i looked in the mirror yesterday and seemed to see white smoke that i thought was burnt oil, but it revs clean everytime so maybe tyre smoke?

I have skimmed over other threads before posting, but am just a bit lost to the cause and wondering if i need to replace the clutch pads? I have given it hard down at low rev's and it doesn't seem to slip then.

If it's the lower gears it's probably the tire if it's worn much at all. If it's the higher gears it could be clutch.

If it's the lower gears it's probably the tire if it's worn much at all. If it's the higher gears it could be clutch.

Hi mate, thanks for the reply :)
I have only ever hit the boost in 2nd gear. Maybe 3rd at the highest. I will be taking it for a long ride today on the highway, i will try it in 4th and see how i go. Cheers for the advice

Took it out. Full throttle in 4th and 5th gear to boost, no feeling of clutch slip. in 2nd and 3rd, it hitting the throttle right, the rev's jump, the rear seems to lift a little, must be tyre spin :D

The rear tire will spin pretty easily in the lower gears and you might not even notice that it's the tire. Mine smokes the tire and lifts the front end in first and sometimes in second. My tire is in fairly good shape.

LOL, love it guys. I was riding yesterday and there was an older guy on a road king. He did accelerate a bit as i came up to him, until he looked at the bike. He must have known what Vmax's are all about as he dropped off and let me pass :D
Was thinking of eventually changing over to either the "60% srtonger" clutch spring from exactrep, or the Barnett spring clutch conversion. Any of u guys run either of these?

Mine's all stock. I'll get around to the Heavy Duty parts someday. I always wonder how long the stock stuff will hold up.:ummm:

Mine's all stock. I'll get around to the Heavy Duty parts someday. I always wonder how long the stock stuff will hold up.:ummm:

My mechanic up here is an old fella that LOVES Max's (even has a pic of one on his business card :D ). He was telling me that one of his customers here has over 10000km on his max and it has never had a problem with clutch slipping or the O-ring problem. Who knows, this guy might always ride his max gently??

I don't intend to flog mine everytime it goes out, but do love the odd launch when overtaking someone when the boost kicks in ;)

My mechanic up here is an old fella that LOVES Max's (even has a pic of one on his business card :D ). He was telling me that one of his customers here has over 10000km on his max and it has never had a problem with clutch slipping or the O-ring problem. Who knows, this guy might always ride his max gently??

I don't intend to flog mine everytime it goes out, but do love the odd launch when overtaking someone when the boost kicks in ;)

There is a man on this board that has over 120,000 miles on his max. I think its a stock '85.

Latest posts

Back