New Member from Texas

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everybody! My name is Edward and I am a 55-year-old who has been riding 2 wheels since I was 11. I owned 3 Honda V65 Magnas back in the mid-1980s but I never scratched that VMax 1200 itch until 2 weeks ago. I did own a 2016 Vmax 1700 two years ago but it was too much for me. I felt like I was riding a buffalo at low speeds and a Saturn V rocket when I pushed it through its paces. So now, I have a low-mileage (10780) Gen 1 VMax in my garage. I joined this forum to seek counsel from fellow Gen 1 VMax owners to resolve some issues with this bike. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. -Edward

293142279_5054868494639109_8580631717634400754_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, and what's up with it?

If you use the search facility, most likely the issues will have been covered.

Last edited:
Hello, and what's up with it?

If you use the search facility, most likely the issues will have been covered.
Yes, I started searching for issues that match. Minor issues:
(1) Rear Brake squealing (brake work on the agenda)
(2) Ignition key does not work on the Cowling cover release (taking the switch to the locksmith to make a key for me)
(3) Corbin seat is not bolted on to the frame (planning to acquire OEM Seat),
(4) Gas cap is an old-style twist-on, twist-off with no locking mechanism (ordered a keyed locking gas cap) [I bet the Corbin seat made it a PITA to unlock the cap and that is why a simple cap was installed]
(5) Aluminum wheels have significant corrosion that is not cool with me. (Investigating If the Black-painted wheels from 2005+ model years are compatible with 1993).
(6) Investigating Battery condition. Should the Neutral light flicker in brightness from idle to a light revving of the engine?

I have ordered supplies to perform the following:
(a) Oil and Filter Change
(b) Air Filter Change
(c) Spark Plug replacement
(d) Coolant Flush
(e) Brake Fluid Flush
(f) Carburetor Sync (if necessary)
(g) Brake Pad Replacement

AFter I complete all this work, the bike will truly be "mine."

Does anybody have a favorite motorcycle jack/lift that works on their Gen 1 VMAX?

This should help:

http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf
And a good intro to many topics answered in one place.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/new-vmax-owner-faqs-new-members-please-read.21240/
As 02GF74 mentioned, the upper-right button for 'search' topics can bring you much knowledge about your issues.

I've seen one like yours before.

View attachment 85434
This should help:

http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf
And a good intro to many topics answered in one place.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/new-vmax-owner-faqs-new-members-please-read.21240/
As 02GF74 mentioned, the upper-right button for 'search' topics can bring you much knowledge about your issues.

I've seen one like yours before.

View attachment 85434
Yes... that looks very much like my 93 VMX12. I am the type of person who likes to minimize modifications so I can keep it as close to stock as possible. Thank you for the Service manual URL. I'll get right on educating myself on this bike model.

San Antonio has been my home for the last 26 years... I like the climate here in Central Texas but I fear that too many people are rushing into Texas from other states... when does 'too many people' begin to interfere with enjoyable motorcycle riding?
Definitely an influx coming into Texas. I was born in Pasadena and raised in Santa Fe (Alta Loma ) I left about 16 years ago and make occasional visits back home. I have family in San Antonio and Commerce area. I have done lots of riding in the Hill country area.

A member was recently looking for a screw-on/off gas cap to replace the locking gas cap. Is your cap a Stant or other name brand, w/a part #?

Get your wheels vapor-blasted to rid your wheels of oxidation, and to give them a nice satin finish. You could also use baking soda as a blasting media, if you cannot locate someone close-by doing the vapor blasting. Either way will give you a satin finish, without the texturing that sandblasting does. Then you can either polish the wheels, or have them powdercoated. You may choose to leave them as they come-back to you, cleaned of oxidation, and just keep them waxed and clean.

HH compound front brake caliper pads and woven stainless steel brake lines will give you a better stopping performance than organic pads, which may be what are on there now. Those (organics) tend to deposit a lot of brake dust on the wheels. Look on the back of the pads and there probably is a brake pad compound inking on the steel plate. Any name-brand HH rated pad should work well for you. Among a complete fluid flush, changing to stainless brake lines, and the HH pads, you will be getting maximum benefit from the stock 298mm rotors and 2-pair opposed piston front calipers.

Last edited:
Yes, I started searching for issues that match. Minor issues:
(1) Rear Brake squealing (brake work on the agenda)
(2) Ignition key does not work on the Cowling cover release (taking the switch to the locksmith to make a key for me)
(3) Corbin seat is not bolted on to the frame (planning to acquire OEM Seat),
(4) Gas cap is an old-style twist-on, twist-off with no locking mechanism (ordered a keyed locking gas cap) [I bet the Corbin seat made it a PITA to unlock the cap and that is why a simple cap was installed]
(5) Aluminum wheels have significant corrosion that is not cool with me. (Investigating If the Black-painted wheels from 2005+ model years are compatible with 1993).
(6) Investigating Battery condition. Should the Neutral light flicker in brightness from idle to a light revving of the engine?

I have ordered supplies to perform the following:
(a) Oil and Filter Change
(b) Air Filter Change
(c) Spark Plug replacement
(d) Coolant Flush
(e) Brake Fluid Flush
(f) Carburetor Sync (if necessary)
(g) Brake Pad Replacement

AFter I complete all this work, the bike will truly be "mine."

Does anybody have a favorite motorcycle jack/lift that works on their Gen 1 VMAX?
I just had the rear brake squeal on mine. I ended up having to remove the caliper pistons and cleaning everything up really well. I started by doing a flush….still a squeal. Next changed the pads, deglazed the rotor, and a little grease on the backside of the pads. Still had the squeal. Only the disassemble and deep clean of the components seemed to work.

Yes, the brake dust bakes onto the caliper pistons, and they become sticky. Fortunately, it's pretty-easy to remove the pistons, clean it all-up, and re-install the components. I recommend new seals if you disassemble things. They seem to last decades, but considering what's at-stake, I'd replace 'em.

I just had the rear brake squeal on mine. I ended up having to remove the caliper pistons and cleaning everything up really well. I started by doing a flush….still a squeal. Next changed the pads, deglazed the rotor, and a little grease on the backside of the pads. Still had the squeal. Only the disassemble and deep clean of the components seemed to work.
My rear rotor is pretty 'glazed' but the pads look good from the top viewing area. However, I think I will replace the rotor, and the pads, and give the caliper a good cleaning. I hope I don't have to disassemble the caliper but I should get new seals just in case. Since I own maintenance on this vintage bike, I want to take my time to do a quality job.

San Antonio has been my home for the last 26 years... I like the climate here in Central Texas but I fear that too many people are rushing into Texas from other states... when does 'too many people' begin to interfere with enjoyable motorcycle riding?
I am in NE Ohio and have been thinking about San Antonio for the last ten years. I need to come down and do a real look around.

I am in NE Ohio and have been thinking about San Antonio for the last ten years. I need to come down and do a real look around.
The Texas Hill Country is a nice area to visit and to ride around on two wheels. However, Summers in Texas are not for the faint of heart, and it is only getting HOTTER and DRYER. New Braunfels is a popular destination for many new arrivals.

Latest posts

Back