New Member from Texas

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A member was recently looking for a screw-on/off gas cap to replace the locking gas cap. Is your cap a Stant or other name brand, w/a part #?

Get your wheels vapor-blasted to rid your wheels of oxidation, and to give them a nice satin finish. You could also use baking soda as a blasting media, if you cannot locate someone close-by doing the vapor blasting. Either way will give you a satin finish, without the texturing that sandblasting does. Then you can either polish the wheels, or have them powdercoated. You may choose to leave them as they come-back to you, cleaned of oxidation, and just keep them waxed and clean.

HH compound front brake caliper pads and woven stainless steel brake lines will give you a better stopping performance than organic pads, which may be what are on there now. Those (organics) tend to deposit a lot of brake dust on the wheels. Look on the back of the pads and there probably is a brake pad compound inking on the steel plate. Any name-brand HH rated pad should work well for you. Among a complete fluid flush, changing to stainless brake lines, and the HH pads, you will be getting maximum benefit from the stock 298mm rotors and 2-pair opposed piston front calipers.
my current gas cap: see attachments. My locking gas cap should arrive sometime between next week and my 56th birthday! LOL

Attachments

• IMG_2030.jpg
    IMG_2030.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2031.jpg
    IMG_2031.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0
Looks to me like the filler tube slot for the stationary 'bump' on the OEM gas cap's underside has been widened. Is there one notch, or two?

VMax altered gas filler tube.png

A member was recently looking for a screw-on/off gas cap to replace the locking gas cap. Is your cap a Stant or other name brand, w/a part #?

Get your wheels vapor-blasted to rid your wheels of oxidation, and to give them a nice satin finish. You could also use baking soda as a blasting media, if you cannot locate someone close-by doing the vapor blasting. Either way will give you a satin finish, without the texturing that sandblasting does. Then you can either polish the wheels, or have them powdercoated. You may choose to leave them as they come-back to you, cleaned of oxidation, and just keep them waxed and clean.

HH compound front brake caliper pads and woven stainless steel brake lines will give you a better stopping performance than organic pads, which may be what are on there now. Those (organics) tend to deposit a lot of brake dust on the wheels. Look on the back of the pads and there probably is a brake pad compound inking on the steel plate. Any name-brand HH rated pad should work well for you. Among a complete fluid flush, changing to stainless brake lines, and the HH pads, you will be getting maximum benefit from the stock 298mm rotors and 2-pair opposed piston front calipers.
Is this the picture you were asking about?

Attachments

• IMG_2036.jpg
    IMG_2036.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0
Yeah someone cut that one good! Not stock! I'd want to be standing outside the garage where that was being butchered!

A rusty old stock filler neck:

VMax gas tank filler neck.png

Last edited:
The wife & I just spent 5 days in Austin & San Antonio. In San Antonio we stayed at the Omni Hotel next to the Riverwalk. The morning we left (early evening flight) we walked a couple blocks to the Alamo. We did the self-run tour, where you get a recorded personal narration by the numbers, as you walk through the mission. We also bought the museum passes, which I think was worth it. I didn't know that Phil Collins, yes of Genesis, was a kid fascinated with the Old West and the Alamo. When he became a multi-millionaire, he bought all sorts of Alamo era things, and he later donated his collection to the trust for care of the Alamo.

I like Austin, been there a couple of times. That was my first time to San Antonio, I like it as-much as Austin. maybe more, as it seems less crowded. The TX Hill Country seems like a great place to ride, just stay hydrated, and cover-up your skin in the summer & use sun-block.

We also did the San Antonio area Mission Tour, starting to the south and working our way north to San Antonio. I think we hit 5 or 6 Missions, and those people were brave to be living in that area. Our San Antonio Missions Tour | National Historical Park

Back