New member in Bathurst Australia

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sturmer

Reaction score
There was a Black 96 at auction a couple weeks ago and, whilst I've always been a sport bike sort of guy , I got it for the right money and picked it up last Wednesday.
Whilst waiting for it to come up for auction, I watched a bit of YT and have to say I like the power cruiser more than I thought I would. I also own a Cagiva V-raptor 1000 and a Monster S4R (2007) that I use as a track bike. (amongst others)

Looking at the bike on the trailer, I had the thought "why spend 12K on a 1200 Sporty, when you could have one of these sorted for 5K???

The bike had been off the road for three months, so on Australia Day (Thursday) I drained the tank and emptied the carbs, charged the battery and cranked her up. it runs with no noises, but it's unregistered and still on the trailer, so that's as far as I went. Air filter looks new and the carbs looked pretty clean while I had the airbox lid off. I put a bit of Seafoam in the fuel and look forward to this new project.

It's got a re-pop rad on it and that has a weep, so I'll get it tested and see how that goes.

Having apparently spent it's entire existence close to the beach there is a fair bit of corrosion and oxidisation on it. I can see it's been years since it had a good clean. I would refer to the machine as "cosmetically challenged". There is a fair amount of rattle can black on the bike and the carb covers are missing, so i'll need to do something there. I was thinking of calling it "Mad Max's V-Max..." of "The Rat Max" it's a POS...
I used a whole can of WD40 so far and it's put another grand on the value.

It's apparently a grey import, but I can't find the compliance plate and it HAS been previously registered and it was NOT on the Written off Vehicle Register, so it has that going for it...

One question but, does anyone know what the original exhaust was made of? Is it stainless?

There was a Black 96 at auction a couple weeks ago and, whilst I've always been a sport bike sort of guy , I got it for the right money and picked it up last Wednesday.
Whilst waiting for it to come up for auction, I watched a bit of YT and have to say I like the power cruiser more than I thought I would. I also own a Cagiva V-raptor 1000 and a Monster S4R (2007) that I use as a track bike. (amongst others)

Looking at the bike on the trailer, I had the thought "why spend 12K on a 1200 Sporty, when you could have one of these sorted for 5K???

The bike had been off the road for three months, so on Australia Day (Thursday) I drained the tank and emptied the carbs, charged the battery and cranked her up. it runs with no noises, but it's unregistered and still on the trailer, so that's as far as I went. Air filter looks new and the carbs looked pretty clean while I had the airbox lid off. I put a bit of Seafoam in the fuel and look forward to this new project.

It's got a re-pop rad on it and that has a weep, so I'll get it tested and see how that goes.

Having apparently spent it's entire existence close to the beach there is a fair bit of corrosion and oxidisation on it. I can see it's been years since it had a good clean. I would refer to the machine as "cosmetically challenged". There is a fair amount of rattle can black on the bike and the carb covers are missing, so i'll need to do something there. I was thinking of calling it "Mad Max's V-Max..." of "The Rat Max" it's a POS...
I used a whole can of WD40 so far and it's put another grand on the value.

It's apparently a grey import, but I can't find the compliance plate and it HAS been previously registered and it was NOT on the Written off Vehicle Register, so it has that going for it...

One question but, does anyone know what the original exhaust was made of? Is it stainless?
Hi and welcome to the forum, congrats on the new to you Max too.

Back