New member intro and first problems:(

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonanzabullet

Reaction score
EA131EC0-64FB-46EE-BB7E-72A80AD37696.jpeg Hello all!! I have after years of haunting this forum have decided its time to say hello and thank you all for the help this forum has offered to me. Just a quick rundown before I continue with my problem. So I have been slowly modifying and upgrading my 09 max which I inherited from my dad after his passing. After all of the conversations he and I had about this monster of a motorcycle I decided to continue with his vision of what he wanted to do with her. So I have slowly working towards building the bike for mostly street use but also 1/4 & 1/2 mile events which are becoming increasingly popular here in south Florida. I proceeded to add a few bolt ons and have been enjoying the bike immensely. Wheelies On this thing are more fun than my fz09!! Anyways, with longer runs than just 1320’ the engine sees much higher rpm range use and I’m concerned that this is where my problem has arisen. I spoke with Tim Nash who personally dyno tuned the bike and he has little info to offer me which is another indication that I’m in deep water. So my question is basically if any of you gentlemen have experienced or heard of these bikes in high rpm instances lifting the head? I have coolant collecting on the bottom right front side of the cylinder and it seems to only collect after taking a Rip as opposed to just cruising. The bike idles amazing. Starts fine with no smoke. Neither coolant in the oil or vise versa. It is only after taking a ride where rpms see highway speeds that I notice the coolant runs. I pressure tested the entire coolant system and I checks out fine. And the bike doesn’t go past half way on the temp gauge. I’ve got my fingers and toes crossed that you guys can help me out with this conundrum. Thanks in advance and if there is any other info I can offer please ask away

Here are a few pics of my aero mods for high speed stability for anyone looking for better riding characteristics at speed. This is a hayabusa front fender which improved all around riding considerably. Also another pic of the residual coolant leak
upload_2020-4-14_17-24-3.jpeg
upload_2020-4-14_17-24-25.jpeg
upload_2020-4-14_17-24-54.jpeg
upload_2020-4-14_17-26-47.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-14_17-21-35.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-14_17-21-35.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 9
Always helpful for you fellows to put your location below your screen name, so someone local to you may-be able to assist.

US 27 is someplace guys going for top-end in SE Florida like to try. My friend who bracket races his Hyabusa at W. Palm Beach told me about a young guy, a friend of his, who hit over 215 logged on his GPS on his, but spilled it while slowed-down to about 1/2 that. No, not stock. He's very fortunate he didn't break anything on his body.

Here's hoping you get it figured-out. Don't forget your location. V Max Mike gets a 'pass.' His avatar tells-it.

Always helpful for you fellows to put your location below your screen name, so someone local to you may-be able to assist.

US 27 is someplace guys going for top-end in SE Florida like to try. My friend who bracket races his Hyabusa at W. Palm Beach told me about a young guy, a friend of his, who hit over 215 logged on his GPS on his, but spilled it while slowed-down to about 1/2 that. No, not stock. He's very fortunate he didn't break anything on his body.

Here's hoping you get it figured-out. Don't forget your location. V Max Mike gets a 'pass.' His avatar tells-it.

thanks for the reminder edit completed lol. Yeah these guys out here are going bonkers. Watched a carbon turbo busa go 260+ on the street. I’d be happy to go 180 on the max with my fat behind jockeying it lmao

You seem to have a radiator leak or maybe the clamps aren't tight. Or also what was mentioned a possible overflow.

thanks for the reminder edit completed lol. Yeah these guys out here are going bonkers. Watched a carbon turbo busa go 260+ on the street. I’d be happy to go 180 on the max with my fat behind jockeying it lmao

Hi, let me first say I'm sorry to hear about your Dad passing. I was wondering if I might have known him from the now defunct StarVmax forum. I was very active there back to 2009. I'm not sure I recognize the bike though.

I have never heard of a head lifting on this bike, I'm thinking along the lines of everyone else that you have a small leak somewhere that is spraying on the engine once the cooling system reaches a specific pressure/temperature.

180 mph is not in the cards for you on the VMax. It is gear and drag limited to around 165 - 167 depending on conditions, unfortunately. If you can make enough horsepower and get the the rev limiter in 5th raised you might squeak a little more out.

This is a video from a few years back. My bike was making good power and the conditions weren't too bad,just a slight headwind. The speed is official (the speedo is off because it was calibrated for a different sized tire). A friend of mine has gone slightly faster on a similarly modded Max with maybe slightly better conditions.

I did have a taller tire (18/200/55) on the bike effectively changing the gearing in an attempt to go faster. So I think this day my speed was probably drag limited.

That's a pretty-good run. Good on ya, for being on a closed course, in an organized event.

Hi, let me first say I'm sorry to hear about your Dad passing. I was wondering if I might have known him from the now defunct StarVmax forum. I was very active there back to 2009. I'm not sure I recognize the bike though.

I have never heard of a head lifting on this bike, I'm thinking along the lines of everyone else that you have a small leak somewhere that is spraying on the engine once the cooling system reaches a specific pressure/temperature.

180 mph is not in the cards for you on the VMax. It is gear and drag limited to around 165 - 167 depending on conditions, unfortunately. If you can make enough horsepower and get the the rev limiter in 5th raised you might squeak a little more out.

This is a video from a few years back. My bike was making good power and the conditions weren't too bad,just a slight headwind. The speed is official (the speedo is off because it was calibrated for a different sized tire). A friend of mine has gone slightly faster on a similarly modded Max with maybe slightly better conditions.

I did have a taller tire (18/200/55) on the bike effectively changing the gearing in an attempt to go faster. So I think this day my speed was probably drag limited.

I appreciate your condolences bud. My dad was not on any forums he was a lone wolf when it came to solving his problems haha. I know that strictly gear wise the bike can only do what it will which is why I am playing with the aero part of things. First and biggest improvement thus far has been the busa fender. Stability and gained 3mph on the gps. I personally went 171 on a nice soflo day gps verified and the bike still has stock headers so I know I’m headed in the right direction. I haven’t had a chance to take a peek yet but my first inclination was loose clamps or pin hole but no such thing occurred. For ease of mind I borrowed a buddy’s block test to see if there are any hydrocarbons in the coolant. I seriously haven’t seen any coolant consumption which really would be great to find out it was the coolant overflow all along.

Okay fellas upon further inspection and doing what mike suggested I removed drained cleaned inspected and reinstalled overflow and went for a ride. Still find coolant spewed out only low I can visibly see the moisture accumulating between the head and cylinder at the head gasket. Which means I’m having a bad day lol. So now that I believe I have pinpointed the issue being the headgasket how the heck do I go about rebuilding this thing? Lmao I’ve rebuilt inline 4’s however never delved into v4’s. Let alone dual overhead cam things. I’m not intimidated to do the job but some guidance would certainly go a long way. I have countless questions for you gents. I need to find out if these are all torque to yield hardware including headbolts. Does anyone make a head stud kit for these bikes? If I’m doing this job I’d like to just do it once. Is all oem better to go with? Special tools? To retime the cams? Any upgrades I can to while I’m in there? Any preventative things I should consider? Or do you guys highly recommend I just pull it and have someone you might be able to recommend build this thing? I’d love love love to have this thing come back badder than before thank you gents in advance!!

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-16_22-55-37.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-16_22-55-37.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 28
I'm not saying that the heads not leaking but I just can't believe that it is that being said I would clean it again and cover the head gasket area with a piece of tape run it again and see what happens carefully remove the tape and inspect behind the tape

If I had to rebuild my motor I would sell it for what I could get out of it and buy used one with low miles. If I was a millionaire and had an understanding wife I would take the bike to a custom high performance shop and tell them to call me when it has 500 horsepower at the rear wheel.lol

If I had to rebuild my motor I would sell it for what I could get out of it and buy used one with low miles. If I was a millionaire and had an understanding wife I would take the bike to a custom high performance shop and tell them to call me when it has 500 horsepower at the rear wheel.lol
Haha I would really love to keep this motor just because it was the one my dad had enjoyed so damn much. I wish I had $10k too to build a More ridiculous tire munching machine but I’m not sure motor swap money is in the cards for me either haha. That being said I’ll surely do what you recommend and see what arises. IF it is however there has to be an avenue for me to get this thing back in asskicking 9 second 1/4 shape. Thanks again for the guidance keep it coming lol

Bullet, I think I saw engine guards on you Max,,,what brand are they and do they seem to be capable of doing the job if called for? As to your motor I agree sell or part it out and get another low miles used one,,or get the shop manual, pull the engine and ship it to Morley,,I think he can fix the problem. The thing is that with the 2nd Gen VMAX service of a major item, can be a horror story as to time and money, a major reason why I stuck with my 05. Thanks, O.

Haha I would really love to keep this motor just because it was the one my dad had enjoyed so damn much. I wish I had $10k too to build a More ridiculous tire munching machine but I’m not sure motor swap money is in the cards for me either haha. That being said I’ll surely do what you recommend and see what arises. IF it is however there has to be an avenue for me to get this thing back in asskicking 9 second 1/4 shape. Thanks again for the guidance keep it coming lol

Have you found the reason for that leak yet?

Why not use a cooling system pressure tester? If you remove the right hand scoop, the radiator cap is right there. The cap is basically the same as an older Honda car (1990 Honda Civic, etc.) so that same cooling system tester adapter should work on the Vmax. This way you could pressurize the cooling system up to the normal operating pressure and possibly pinpoint the leak.

Last edited:
Back