New Member: Saw a MAX yesterday (for purchase)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
Hey guys FNG here.
Yesterday I was hoping to acquire my first VMAX.
Found a '93 yellow for sale, ~20k on the clock, and asking $3K.

Was looking for a turnkey, and from far thats what it looked like. Closer inspection revealed spider cracked rear rotor, front brake master cylinder on its last leg, and a switch on the handle bar that advances the timing. The owner said, that the previous owner installed the switch that advances the timing at high RPM. This is a first, as I'm accustomed to setting the advancement before hand, and set it and forget it. Once the seat was removed found 4" of bare ground wire exposed and completely tarnished; brown. There were 1/8" silicone hoses leading and connected to nowhere.

Test drive: handlebar shake at 55, have to manhandle the brakes to get it to stop, and bogs off the line.

Confirmed with the owner that he's had it for 5 years and only put 100 miles on it. No maintenance done on the bike.

It was yellow, so I give him that...but confirmed that it was previously painted, and not original.

In the end $2K and $2.3K was offered, no deal. Can't blame the seller. If you feel that the bike is valued at KBB in excellent condition, with no upkeep done or maintained, so be it.

IMO not worth it, for 3 to 4 thousand you can find a much better bike that would be a turn key bike, maybe even find one for 3000 but being that it's spring prices are going to be higher, sounds to me like that bike is gonna need at least 500 or even a thousand in parts and then you would have to do most of the work yourself, for your first Max I would say pass

What kind of spider cracks on the rear rotor? If there were 3 cracks...equidistant apart and slightly at an angle, those are casting lines....normal to all Vmax.

A LOT of Vmax's too....if the steering bearings are not tight, will develop a wobble...AKA VMAX wobble. There are quite a few threads on it here.

Welcome to the forum.

Check out the '92 for sale on the forum with a LOT of aftermarket goodies. Well worth the asking price . In KY.

...sounds to me like that bike is gonna need at least 500 or even a thousand in parts and then you would have to do most of the work yourself, for your first Max I would say pass

Thanks, essentially my point; if I'm thinking $1K in parts, how much more for things that I'm not missing.

I'm not looking to wrench, I'm looking to get in trouble...now.

What kind of spider cracks on the rear rotor? If there were 3 cracks...equidistant apart and slightly at an angle, those are casting lines....normal to all Vmax.

These were most definitely spider cracks. This I am sure of, but thanks for the input on casting lines. I'll keep that in mind :thumbsup: .

A LOT of Vmax's too....if the steering bearings are not tight, will develop a wobble...AKA VMAX wobble. There are quite a few threads on it here.

Welcome to the forum.

These were most definitely spider cracks. This I am sure of, but thanks for the input on casting lines. I'll keep that in mind :thumbsup: .

It was a '93, so I knew it had the 43mm fork upgrade, but the shake at 55 had me thinking the worst ($$$) .

Check out the '92 for sale on the forum with a LOT of aftermarket goodies. Well worth the asking price . In KY.

You know, will do. Thanks.

Head shake is usually steering bearing tension. Not a big deal. Hoses that lead to nowhere... There is one of those. It's the tank vent. Fresh brake fluid and pads might very well clear up the braking issues, but I'd go to Kentucky and buy John's (texas-ss-tornado) if I had $4500.

I paid 3K for my 94 with 17K miles in excellent condition. Seems like too much $ for the condition. Yellow is the best color 8^)

I paid $3250 for a 2001 two years ago with about 15,000 on it and while needing this and that, it ran fine as it was.
I think the one you were looking at was WAY over priced.

I paid $3250 for a 2001 two years ago with about 15,000 on it and while needing this and that, it ran fine as it was.
I think the one you were looking at was WAY over priced.

My 07 when I bought it had the Vmax wobble. A friend of mine rode it and immediately got off, saying that it had a "death wobble". I saw Seans video.....tightened up the steering head bearings....no wobble since.

Geeze is this how you treat new members...twist my arm.
I have to admit, it is more than I want to spend, but damm

...keep twisting boys

The usual recommendation is to pick up a '96 or newer because they have most of all the upgrades done to them by Yamaha that '85-'95 didn't have. Obviously buy as close to newer as you can afford with "average" miles or somewhat lower miles on it. The older they are with fewer miles usually means they sat around unused for a while and these bikes especially don't seem to fare well sitting (i.e. gummy carbs and rusty gas tanks, etc)...........Good luck shopping around.

IM Sent, NP if your not interested, LMK. Updates have been done in necessary areas.
Dave

Yes, definitely overpriced. Way-overpriced. There are many more in that area of pricing that don't have issues, or are easily solved, like new tires, brake pads, a battery...and yes, those things can cost $$ especially if it needs all of them, and more.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a first-year bike if it was maintained and ran well. Yes, later models may have different parts upgraded, but even the first year is a desirable bike (some say the most desirable) so I'd suggest getting w/someone on here who has a well-maintained bike who wants to sell, and ask questions. For $3K you should be able to get a reliable bike which may need commonly-worn parts replaced, but no bent or rusty and leaky forks, no pops out of 2nd gear issues, no overheating engines after idling for ten minutes. Those problems are reasons to walk-away, unless you can buy it for $500, and then you may have a supply of parts, some you may find a use for or some you cannot use because your other bike doesn't need 'em. Part-out-time!

Take your time, and investigate who's got what for sale here, and make an informed decision, not one where, "I'm gonna buy it because these don't come-around here very often" off the local craigslist or other social media vending site.

You can check the 2004 I am selling in Weston, FL. Will PM you with the details

10516609_796858303681210_7628339385136799085_n.jpg

MY FN FAL with my turbo bike.... just wondered how many people got your screen name.

:smile: Yea, only one other person.
Nice. You know we could do something about that buttstock :biglaugh: .
So...

is the fal for sale?
yea I got issues...

Latest posts

Back