1st Gen V-Max New member - Vmax rebuild

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMac

Reaction score
VMax Year
Hi Folks, I have just joined the group and am looking forward to chatting about all things VMax. My hobby is doing up old motorcycles and have just bought this 1985 VMax with VBoost. It is unregistered, had rats living in it when I bought it and hasn’t been started for about 15 years. Preliminary investigations suggest it will polish up well but will need an engine strip down and a lot of cosmetic work. Sounds Great!!!!

This is my first VMax and so be prepared for a number of questions.

All the best and talk soon

Graham

Attachments

• 75AB1DB3-F1E5-47B7-A67F-B99D45A3BAEC.jpeg
    75AB1DB3-F1E5-47B7-A67F-B99D45A3BAEC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • AD6E5753-71F7-4716-AC3A-EB3F7B3B5621.jpeg
    AD6E5753-71F7-4716-AC3A-EB3F7B3B5621.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I took the carbs off and they were full of what looked like brown honey. I assume this is what 15 year old fuel looks like.

I was thinking the engine should be stripped to replace rubber seals etc. the engine turns over fine and there is no corrosion in the cylinders.

Would you suggest leaving the engine intact and just checking over the clutch, and water pump ?

It would save a lot of bother if I don’t have to strip it.

Thanks

Graham

Thanks, I think that sounds like good advice. It did have some oil and coolant in it and neither were contaminated and so fingers crossed, it will fire up OK.

It will save a lot of work.

Thanks for your help

Back