VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fulleration

Reaction score
Hey folks, just managed to snag my old man's '85; it sat in storage for over a year and I'm having some issues with it. A little background on the bike: my dad purchased it in 85 and has been the only owner, 43,000 miles and hasn't been riden very hard in its lifetime.

Maintenance done thus far since ive had it in my possession: oil, coolant, plugs, new fuel tank, new fuel filter, new vboost controller, and carbs professionally cleaned. Most of everything on the bike is bone stock.

The bike will start up and seems to be idling alright. It does however sputter, pop, and bog down between the 3k and 4k rpm mark (mid range) but runs fine low and high rpm. My father said the bike would normally make it over 100-110 miles before the fuel light comes on but I'm only getting 78 miles on a full tank of gas before I'm forced to use the reserves. Any input would greatly be appreciated!

I would kill for 78 miles to reserve :)

This may sound silly, but since you didn't mention a new air filter...try removing the air filter and go for a short ride where it is not dusty.
I also had a bog around the same RPM range. I installed a COPs (coil over plugs) setup and shimmed the air box Y-piece. No more bog.

Latest posts

Back