New member..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neo

Reaction score
Greetings from the UK.
Got a Carbon 2001, bought in 2004. One or two minor mods but only just getting around to the Morley big battery box and wiring upgrades. Always found this forum to be a huge resource full of decent folk. Thanks for that.

I really suggest you go with a smaller battery with more power and less than half the weight. My Shorai just got replaced with an Antigravity battery with a auto sleep feature that puts it to sleep when voltage drops below a certain point. It does this with enough juice left for a couple of starts. Kind of like a built in jump battery. You just push a button to wake it up.

'Antigravity' battery sounds interesting (and expensive), Il look into that thanks.
Was aiming to fit a Motobatt AGM, it's 205x87x167 so I need to make the box up to 15mm wider. Intending to stick a thin rubber sheet on the tank wall to stop it rubbing and will have to look at what height I can gain to keep the box off the heat shield. I think it has to be worth the effort - no more limping home without stopping for fuel in case it doesn't restart !!!!!

I really suggest you go with a smaller battery with more power and less than half the weight. My Shorai just got replaced with an Antigravity battery with a auto sleep feature that puts it to sleep when voltage drops below a certain point. It does this with enough juice left for a couple of starts. Kind of like a built in jump battery. You just push a button to wake it up.

So far, the Anti-gravity is an excellent battery. Powerful, light, and the features Christian mentioned. Shori ,or my last 2 went in the trash. They didn't hold up to a discharge situation. Leave the key on or have a bad voltage regulator and they were wrecked.

I did the Goldwing battery swap and used a basic cheap-o battery. I've not even thought about it since, it just snaps right to life multiple seasons later. Even if I were to go with a light battery I would keep the GW Group size. I used the following link as a guide.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/vmax-battery-replacement-101.113/
Being a fan of HP:Wt ratio improvements I went to Antigravity and looked up a Vmax battery and found this. (I used GL1500 and VMX12 for lookups)

https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/restart-oem/at12bs-hd-rs/
The Antigravity battery wt for the GW and Vmx batteries is 3.8lbs vs 2.9lbs respectively. In conventional led/acid batteries the weight pans out to be ~ 14.3lbs and 11.3lbs respectively.

One could save 10 lbs with just a battery. The led/acid battery cost me $65 and has been flawless so far. For a street only bike it's quite adequate. By my calculations going with Antigravity means an extra $225-ish with a wt savings of ~10 lbs.

A no-brainer for anyone going to the strip, for a street bike reliability > wt savings for me. I cant find much objective information on how their performance and life span measure up against conventional led/acid batteries. If there is no compromise in functionality and life than it seems like a fairly good bargain for loosing 10 lbs. The cost difference for Antigravity batteries for VMX vs GL1500 is $260 vs $320.

A Problem worthy of note.

The company is located in CA and implies USA made, but it looks like many or all of these batteries are actually made "overseas", which I handily interpret as China unless otherwise stated. It looks like the FTC had to step in and force to stop being deceptive about this fact.

Based on what I found here I have ruled out ever buying any product of or from Antigravity but I'm pretty firm on not buying Chinese products, especially for a Japanese bike. YMMV

https://truthinadvertising.org/articles/antigravity-batteries/https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/do...igravity_batteries_closing_letter_4-15-19.pdf

Last edited:
Cheers.
I went for the batt box mod and stuffed a Motobatt (for a Wing) in there. It gave me the opportunity to do some wiring upgrades also.
Wasn’t too bothered about the weight gain but understand why it would be important to some folk.
So far it bursts into life no bother at all and I’m hoping there’s no more low Rev cutouts or hot starting issues anymore.

Cheers.
I went for the batt box mod and stuffed a Motobatt (for a Wing) in there. It gave me the opportunity to do some wiring upgrades also.
Wasn’t too bothered about the weight gain but understand why it would be important to some folk.
So far it bursts into life no bother at all and I’m hoping there’s no more low Rev cutouts or hot starting issues anymore.

I feel like the weight difference on an already obese 650lb bike is pretty negligible in the context of street riding. I'll bet you are going to be happy with all that extra cranking headroom, I sure am.

Please update if this did make a difference in the ridability symptoms described above.

Reactions: Neo

Latest posts

Back