New motor build

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman22

Reaction score
I am mulling over engine options for a new motor. I am thinking about a venture1300 build is there a better set of cases/ liners or are they all the same?

1-1.5 mm bore is all i need a 1327-1344 motor would work. Will the venture tolerate a 1.5 bore?

well back to the vmax block. i had read in another post with a spread sheet for a 1-1.5 mm max bore with stock sleeves and thought that would be a cheaper way to get into the 13+ range than resleeving and boring a 1200 block.

I did see that the oem max overbore piston is .50mm. so the best i could do with a 1300 block would be 1310 with 12ish comp? Not really a wise expenditure of funds.

thanks for the response.

A 80mm bore is acceptable in the venture and I believe PCW does go 81 on them. Ck with John. A few people on this forum in the past have run 1327,s on stock sleeves if my memory isn't failing me.

yeah. i can't seem to nail down a bore answer. I had come across an old set of build lists, not really sure where it came from originally. 1344 would work. I can get a 1300 motor running for $150 so that would make sense. If i can't and I need sleeves..well there is no replacement for displacement.

im glad i didn't buy pistons yet.FC1CBCA5-DFBC-4D6A-8BF3-88E6DFC07C5B.jpeg

If I remember correctly the reason for limit on piston dia. was liners warping if wall thickness was too thin. Let us know what ya find out.

So 1428 is where ive landed. A shop recomendation is coming (for sleeving and decking) with the parts and depending on turn around time I will use that shop.

Prior to this I was looking around for machine work and found nothing that I would call acceptable. When I asked the shop I have been using for the last 15 years for all of my harley work about v-4 work his response was good luck.

Who does everybody use for their work? Are there any shops you wouldn't use?

Last edited:
Recommended:
Sean Morley

PCW in Schenectady NY

Larry Fitzgerald of LCR Performance, Rochester NY

I have my own guys locally, but these are people who have great records of VMax work.

parts will be coming from sean but he was unable to do the work. He did recomend a shop in ny.

Most shops i spoke with were either unable or unwilling and also had no recomendations.

It shouldn't be hard - if you have a liner set. A lot of work yes, and machining a v4 is way more time consuming than a straight4 - you not only have to bore the block, you also have to bore, then hone the block, as well as truing the top of the block. All I did with mine was to replace the liners and true the tops, with a clean-up hone to finish.
And if you're going oversize, you should also tidy up the ports - aka stage 1 gas flow and tidy up the valves?

I have access to equipment and Opposable thumbs unfortunatly I lack the experience.
and I only want it done once.

some things i can do some things i cant.

I can maintain a plane. Unfortunatly I missplace tools....I dont work on planes

Well I talked with John at PCW and his recommendation on over bore was 1260 and 1327 for 1200&1300 blocks with stock liners. I would heed those recommendations. It costs alot to increase 100cc over those numbers(1428).

Latest posts

Back