New motorcycle helmet makes wearing and removal a snap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus36

Reaction score
Hinged helmet eliminates the chin strap and allows for better fit:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/motorcycle-helmet-makes-wearing-removal-084406264.html

c5a16b9fe4aeaab09644ebda189d4f63

Motorcycle helmets have evolved over the years to lightweight technological marvels of safety. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), helmets are 37 percent effective in preventing motorcycle deaths and 67 percent effective in preventing brain injuries. However, the design structures of the helmets have remained mostly unchanged for a while. We still have four or five basic types, including the full face helmet, open face or three-quarter, the half helmet, and the modular. For the most part, these helmets will not fit properly without a chin strap and by design are loose in certain areas to allow the rider’s head to fit. One Australian company, Vozz Helmets, is aiming to expand the possibilities of helmet safety and design, right down to the way we put one on. Vozz’s Voztec System, as they call it, enjoys some advantages over traditional helmet design. The helmet operates with a rear opening hinge, allowing the rider to snap the helmet on rather than squeezing their head into it. Because of this, the helmet can be made to fit closer, since the opening at the bottom does not have to be large enough to fit a human head. Related: Mohawk smart helmet does it all: GPS, camera, emergency texts The snug fit has eliminated the need for a chin strap. Instead, the Vozz helmet has an adjustable chin cup. The chin bar extends underneath the jawline, giving the helmet a more aerodynamic shape while also providing extra protection. There is no “strap creep,” which occurs when a strap loosens over time with use and wear, and fewer snag points. In an emergency situation, medical personnel must remove the injured rider’s helmet without causing undue stress on the neck and spine. Modern helmets do have a safety release system, usually in the form of red tabs that, when pulled, release the cheek pads from the helmet and allow easier removal. In extreme cases, the helmet must be cut off the rider’s head. Vozz’s safety release system allows the helmet to be removed safely and in less time than a normal brain bucket. Vozz will be releasing their own helmet, the RS 1.0, and the company says that the Voztec System can be incorporated into any other full face helmet. The RS 1.0 is available with 3 shell sizes and 3 EPS liners, in addition to comfort liners. The helmet is DOT and ECE approved, and will run for about $900 including helmet bag and tinted visor. Look for its launch in early 2016.
h1>

$900 for a helmet is a bit steep. I am all for paying to protect my most important asset while riding, but I can comfortably do that for a fraction of the cost of this helmet. If they could get it down to a practical price point I would keep it in mind while shopping for my next helmet.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I had put this up yesterday when I saw it on Speed Society... Looks press cool.. My cool factors are for less wind noise, and a more comfortable fit... I know this is gonna be at least $100 more then a regular helmet..

MSRP: $900

Depending on what your definition of a 'regular helmet' is, quite a bit more than an average helmet. ARAI and SHOEI have some premium helmets in that range.

I had put this up yesterday when I saw it on Speed Society... Looks press cool.. My cool factors are for less wind noise, and a more comfortable fit... I know this is gonna be at least $100 more then a regular helmet..

This is a great looking lid, pretty sci-fi in its function, $900 is a touch steep but any nice lid can easily run $400 on up. If not significantly heavier it has great promise. i cant quite justify a new lid yet but will be looking at this design.

The helmet operates with a rear opening hinge, allowing the rider to snap the helmet on rather than squeezing their head into it. I would never trust a helmet that has a hinge on it. If my head ever hit the ground & that rear opening came off/ I'd be toast :wave bye:

We essentially rely on a strap to keep the helmet on now so I would like to see how the helmet latches. Early modular helmets had some issues coming open in accidents but from what I have read that has been, for the most part, resolved. The hinge would be another concern but current modular's have two hinge points so maybe that is an non-issue as well.
The price will keep me out of the market up front but like others have said that will come down after a while. I'm currently in a dilemma with paying for a $600 helmet that I like so $900 is a for-sure-a-no-go for me and probably for most/ There are the early adopters or those that can easily afford the new tech will buy them, then there is the all important Moto GP rider endorsement.

Well I like to be able to open my helmet & take a drink of water going down the road or BS when I am stopped & I have not learned to drink or talk out the back of my neck so its out for me.

Well I like to be able to open my helmet & take a drink of water going down the road or BS when I am stopped & I have not learned to drink or talk out the back of my neck so its out for me.
Kyle this is also one of the reason's I want to get a modular helmet.. Hopefully I will have one this year.. I really want a Nolan, just can't see spending over $250 on a helmet...Keep thinking about a Bilet helmet from cycle gear with Bluetooth for about $225....

Dannymax, I don't wear earplugs. I don't ride as much as I used to, but I think this is quieter than the SHOEI, or the BMW modulars I had previously. Maybe the newest of those are more quiet than the models I had, but I gotta say, there's no convenience like the Shark Evoline, open face when you want it and full face when you need it. I normally use it in the closed position but at stop lights or in slow traffic, I may leave it open. If I want some relief and I'm not in heavy traffic, I may open it to get a breeze. It has the internal shade which flips-down, which I like, and it saves carrying another faceshield.

I've had lots of helmets, the only one I haven't owned was an ARAI, they didn't fit my head. I heard they have different shapes now. My first quality helmet was a Bell RT open face in the early 1970's. After that I had a SHOEI which was the first Kevlar helmet, just patches of it in the side/temple areas. It was the same helmet in the first Mad Max.

Try on a Shark, I think you will be impressed w/the build quality and finish. DOT rated in both open and full-face modes.

Kyle, ever try a Camelbak?

Last edited:
Kyle this is also one of the reason's I want to get a modular helmet.. Hopefully I will have one this year.. I really want a Nolan, just can't see spending over $250 on a helmet...Keep thinking about a Bilet helmet from cycle gear with Bluetooth for about $225....

I have been wearing a built for 3 years & for the price I can not complain. I know there are better helmets but for the price I don't think you can beat it. I am not sure how good there Bluetooth is since I have a Uclear HBC 100 plus

Back