New owner, 2012 VMAX strange rattle sound on revdown.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azriel_Strife

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a noob on the forums here. I just traded in my 2003 V-max for a 2012 VMAX. The new bike runs strong, pulls VERY hard and handles very nice. I do have a queston though, a couple actually.

When idling if you blip the throttle up to 3000rpm and let it rev back down, there's a strange clunky rattle that my ears pick up on. The same noise happens in gear when decelerationg to a stop light or similar situations. To me it doesn't sound normal but I have no clue about the 2nd gen VMAX.

It sounds as though it's coming from the middle/top of the engine, it's definitely RPM related, and it can be felt in the bars and footpegs for the brief moment it happens. It does not happen under nutral throttle or acceleration. My auto experience makes me feel like it's a countershaft noise or similar. Possibly wrist pin noise but I cant be sure.

What I'm wondering is if this is just a normal noise for these bikes, am I worrying for nothing?

Also I'm wondering if it's normal for the bike to run up to 3/4 of the temp guage around town?

Thanks!

Maybe a video of the noise happening would further you along in your quest. A rattle can be ANYTHING from timing chains, to transmission gear backlash to middle gear noise to maybe something dropped or loose in the engine compartment or a loose battery. A type of noise with a general area doesnt help much. A type of noise everyone can hear and potentially see....THATS diagnosis.

Temperature....depending on where you live, can rise to 3/4 or more. As long as the red overheat light does not come on....dont worry about the gauge. As someone who lives in the American SW....100+ days cruising the interstates at warp speed on my Gen 2...I see 3/4 all the time. I pay no mind till I am stuck in traffic and those fans are blowing on me.

Honestly the more i hear it the more it sounds like clutch basket noise. But the bike only has 30,000km on it.

Thank you for the insight on the guage. it seems to be running just fine at 3/4 of the guage.

Hey everyone, I'm a noob on the forums here. I just traded in my 2003 V-max for a 2012 VMAX. The new bike runs strong, pulls VERY hard and handles very nice. I do have a queston though, a couple actually.

When idling if you blip the throttle up to 3000rpm and let it rev back down, there's a strange clunky rattle that my ears pick up on. The same noise happens in gear when decelerationg to a stop light or similar situations. To me it doesn't sound normal but I have no clue about the 2nd gen VMAX.

It sounds as though it's coming from the middle/top of the engine, it's definitely RPM related, and it can be felt in the bars and footpegs for the brief moment it happens. It does not happen under nutral throttle or acceleration. My auto experience makes me feel like it's a countershaft noise or similar. Possibly wrist pin noise but I cant be sure.

What I'm wondering is if this is just a normal noise for these bikes, am I worrying for nothing?

Also I'm wondering if it's normal for the bike to run up to 3/4 of the temp guage around town?

Thanks!
Maybe the guy or guys that had it before U "rode it like they stole it", smoked the tire over and over, etc.,,now U have the problems they created. With the MAX buying used U have to be aware!

If you start your bike in nautral with clutch lever released, normal there is no sound from clutch basket, but if you pull your clutch lever and release it again there will be some noise in clutch basket. If you pull clutch lever again sound disappear until you release clutch lever again. I ask people about this before and this is normal.
My bike had only 2207km on it when I get it and have this noise.
Maybe this is the sound you hear.

Tap the front header pipes with a screwdriver. If you hear the rattle, possibly your inner pipe broke loose. A well placed shot with a ball pein hammer fixed my rattle till I got a new header pipe. Not an uncommon problem.

Tap the front header pipes with a screwdriver. If you hear the rattle, possibly your inner pipe broke loose. A well placed shot with a ball pein hammer fixed my rattle till I got a new header pipe. Not an uncommon problem.
Didnt think Gen 2s had that problem. Thought that was a Gen 1 issue.

Back