New owner and member.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneqt

Reaction score
Hi all, would just like to intro myself and look forward to meeting people on this site. Have just got back into the motorcycle ring after having a family and all the toys go on the back burner as the family grows. Now we have come out the other side the bikes are back. Started out with a 2010 Yamaha XJ6S and put 23000km on it over two summers. Still got it but we have now brought a 2000 VMax and imported it from the US to New Zealand. I must say brings a rather large grin to my face when I wind that throttle but she does need to be treated with respect. ;). Anyhow I look forward to meeting new people and getting some tips on this girl. By the way. The first thing I would like to know is what's the best thing to do to get a better ride out of the suspension? Anyone got some good tips for the factory rear shock settings for two up as I am finding it a bit hard and sharp cheers all from New Zealand.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352964436.676406.jpg

welcome to the brotherhood. as far as suspenion, i never knew i had it so bad until i replaced the stockers with a pair of PS 418s. dont listen to me though, cuz i will inyroduce you to the monkey that lives under the pillion, and you might as well forget about buying any other toys :)

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Welcome to the VMF Shane! Suspension settings for the rear depend on rider/passenger weight and what your riding style is. The wife and I are both smaller build, (270lbs total) and I have the stock shocks set at their softest settings. In the front forks I have progressive springs with ricor intiminators installed. A "search" here on the forum will bring up what others have tried and like/dislike.

Any Progressive Suspension shocks will provide better comfort and use of the bike. A couple of guys who sell a lot of parts on here are CaptainKyle and Sean Morley of Morley's Muscle, whose ad you see at the top of your page on a rotation of ads banner.

You don't have to spend $400+ US to get a better ride.

Race Tech, Progressive Suspension, RICOR Intiminators-these are all either front springs or revalving solutions to making your ride feel better, give you more confidence and control, & at a reasonable price.

A new set of tires and attention to the front & rear suspension will greatly-increase your confidence in your bike's capabilities. For me, the biggest change came-from buying a used Kosman 17" X 5.5" rear wheel and fitting radials on that and the front stocker.

my advice to become an'informed consumer & enthusiast' is to spend time reading all the first posts, the 'stickies,' under the subject areas in the 'Technical' section, and take some notes. Then do 'advanced search' on the buzz-words that are of-interest to you. You will learn a lot and better be able to choose what's best for you.

Cheers all I like the feed back. I can see this is going to be a good group to be involved with.

Thanks for the feed back guys. Great community here. Thinking I am going to bling my girl up. Some pretty smart looking machines out there. Tim's website is great and look forward to buying my gear off him. Gunna have to get a extra job I think!!!

Great site but now costing me since I found Toms Cycle One site. Some good accessories out there.

If your looking for some machine work give Tom (Owner of Cycle One-off) a ring/ email because he has a new CNC lathe to "groove" with. Let's keep him busy!:punk:
Welcome to VMF and be on the lookout for a devious monkey that will have you modding your vmax beyond anything you will have envisioned.
Damnable furry pestilence upon this site that mod monkey is, but probably a needed foil to all the great people here.

I had Robert Taylor do ohlins on the rear and racetech the front. Handles good. The std equipment is shite.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 15
depends on how you ride,aggressively,like stop to stop drag racing,or calm-casual type,or maybe a bit inbetween...ah yes...also has to do with the weight on the bike ...your 2000 has the bigger forks and brakes....needed for the aggressive types....not so with the level-headed...i suggest you utilize the power of the internet,phone numbers,forums like this.....sharp and wise people here.Peace Spencer

Welcome to the group. I have found it to be incredibly helpful, especially some of the post with pics on how to do things. I've been able to do many things that I would have taken the bike to a mechanic for in the past.

Matt

Back