New owner of 89 Vmax!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. That a Fucked up carb!
tks man if I need him I’ll see him for sure. I see your local to me. Lmk if you all have rides or what not. I’ll be downfor a ride.
tks man

Please no pictures of palm trees. The mental anguish is palpable.
I had snow yesterday. Oh the pain.........
The 'palpable anguish' of male Florida visitors was eased by deliveries from God, who sent to appreciative beachfront college male Spring Breakers air-mail 'drops' of young women to help-ease the males' loneliness.

Florida does have its advantages, like Bike Week, year-round riding, bikinis, and no state income tax. And, women dropped from heaven.
Ft. Lauderdale 2021 spring break.jpgBike Week 2021 Daytona Beach.jpg
Daytona Bike Week 2019.png

Last edited:
The 'palpable anguish' of male Florida visitors was eased by deliveries from God, who sent to appreciative beachfront college male Spring Breakers air-mail 'drops' of young women to help-ease the males' loneliness.

Florida does have its advantages, like Bike Week, year-round riding, bikinis, and no state income tax. And, women dropped from heaven.
Damn, I knew I should have pushed my immigration application harder. 😭

I had to make the tough choice when I bought mine back in 86. they have a purple one and a blue metallic one next to each other. I bought the blue metallic one.

Hi, I bought a 1985 vmax about 3 years ago with twin pot calipers that bolted straight on to the forks, no adaptors. It hasn't been altered in anyway... i.e, 40mm forks and 83mm spacing. Does anyone know of any twin pot calipers that fitted directly on the early vmax? It would help as I don't know what they're from and if I blow a seal I'll be buggered 😄20210822_000231.jpg

Hi, I bought a 1985 vmax about 3 years ago with twin pot calipers that bolted straight on to the forks, no adaptors. It hasn't been altered in anyway... i.e, 40mm forks and 83mm spacing. Does anyone know of any twin pot calipers that fitted directly on the early vmax? It would help as I don't know what they're from and if I blow a seal I'll be buggered 😄View attachment 79195
The '85-'92 caliper spacing is 84 mm not 83 mm. FYI. What is the name on them? They're large/small pistons, so I suspect something from a 1990's bike. There should be a name on 'em somewhere. Something that might help I.D. them is the diameter of the rotors. There probably is a company name on them too and dimensions.

Hmnm, I'm unable to identify those callipers. The Vmax 4 pot have the inlet hose casting in between the two pistons whereas those have it at the larger piston

Is the brake master cylinder original vmax part?

The '85-'92 caliper spacing is 84 mm not 83 mm. FYI. What is the name on them? They're large/small pistons, so I suspect something from a 1990's bike. There should be a name on 'em somewhere. Something that might help I.D. them is the diameter of the rotors. There probably is a company name on them too and dimensions.
The rotors are 282mm. Could they be Triumph calipers with the names sanded off? I can't find any I.d on them anywhere.

Hmnm, I'm unable to identify those callipers. The Vmax 4 pot have the inlet hose casting in between the two pistons whereas those have it at the larger piston

Is the brake master cylinder original vmax part?
Yes, it's the original master cylinder and hoses.

I should have added I looked at various callipers from the big 4 jap makes and sumitomo, nissin and tokico.

Triumph daytona is close but the inlet casting angle does not match.

I need to see more of the fork but that looks to be 93-95 Vmax silver 4 piston calipers. If so there are R1's, sumitomo six piston and 93-07 Vmax's that will all fit without adapters. I have adapters for other models like Busa and ZX12

I need to see more of the fork but that looks to be 93-95 Vmax silver 4 piston calipers. If so there are R1's, sumitomo six piston and 93-07 Vmax's that will all fit without adapters. I have adapters for other models like Busa and ZX12
Sean I saw the shouldered bosses for the mounting of the caliper and in my experience the shouldered bosses are for the 1985 to 1992 front end. Assuming that it is 84 mm on center mounting for the caliper, that is the early 85 to 92 design. As you know the later dimension is 100 mm on center for a 93 to 07. I believe the rotor is 298 mm for the 93 to 07. The spider for that rotor does not look like any stock generation one rotor that I know of.

I thought
These are definitely 84mm forks 20210822_154902.jpg

I agree. Early 85-92 forks. So that would narrow the calipers down to FZR400RR's which are hard to find.

Latest posts

Back