new owner - oil indicator

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyhz

Reaction score
I recently purchased an 05 Vmax, 1 owner very clean all stock low miles. I noticed in the owners manual a statement about the oil idiot light coming on during hard accel/decel. How normal is this and has anyone changed oil types or recommended fill levels to stop this. Can damage be caused during this condition? Is it like a car, and the light comes on during low oil pressure, or is it oil level that trips the light. Any info is greatly appreciated.

PS I LOVE THIS BIKE, best one I've ever owned!

Thanks,
Billy
icon12.gif

It's normal. Make sure oil level is at or just above the top mark. Oil level switch is in front of crank case...that's why it goes on under hard acceleration. Oil p/u unit is at rear so no reason to worry about starving the engine.

This is good to hear. I never had my oil light come on with my 07 till I got past the 1K mileage mark. Now with every 3/4 to WOT throttle run it comes on.

I guess my bike is abnormal, my oil light doesnt come on when I have my oil filled to the proper level.:confused2:

I put in a full 4L at each oil change instead of 3.8L ( who needs 200ml of oil ) and my light never comes on. The extra isn't enough to cause a problem with the crank and will not harm anything.

I guess my bike is abnormal, my oil light doesnt come on when I have my oil filled to the proper level.:confused2:

I never had this problem till recently. Right around 7-800 mile marker every once in a while it would come on. Now it seems everytime I go 3/4 throttle to WOT that thing comes on and stays on until I let off.

I checked my oil with the bike leveled and its at the top marker in the sight glass, so I dunno??
It is still under warranty so I was thinking of taking it in to U-Motors and having them take a look at it. About the only place I trust to work on any of my bikes!

I never had this problem till recently. Right around 7-800 mile marker every once in a while it would come on. Now it seems everytime I go 3/4 throttle to WOT that thing comes on and stays on until I let off.

I checked my oil with the bike leveled and its at the top marker in the sight glass, so I dunno??
It is still under warranty so I was thinking of taking it in to U-Motors and having them take a look at it. About the only place I trust to work on any of my bikes!

This is normal I would think.

The light is really a fluid level indicator, not pressure indicator. Just means your bike is taking off fast enough to fool the system as oil cant get through the opening fast enough. That is what the level window is for (checking levels).

If it did it at idle, that would be a problem.

In other words...trust the window, and install a pressure gauge if you're worried about PSI.

Neil

Mine seems to do it more now that I have a stage 7 breather hose going from filler cap area to air box.

Mine seems to do it more now that I have a stage 7 breather hose going from filler cap area to air box.

Kinda makes sense if it made it accelerate harder?

Mine also comes on when I get to 7000-9000rpm on hard acceleration. When I do my first oil change (soon) I'll prolly use 20W50 (it's HOT here in FL) and try overfilling by a small amount.

We'll see if it makes a difference to when the light comes on. As it is, it's a bit like the shift light on the '09 model :eusa_dance:

I dont know how all of you are checking your oil.

The correct way is......

Park the bike on level ground.
Place the bike on the side stand.
Stand on the right side of the bike.
Grab the throttle and lean the bike to where its center balanced upright.
Check your oil level.

The oil in the sight glass should be even with the TOP line.

If all this correct and your oil light comes on than.........

I bet most arent checking it properly which is causing the oil light to come on due to not enough oil.

If you are not cordinated enough to do this without dropping the bike on you, either sell your VMAX and buy something smaller or have a friend sit on the bike while you check your oil level in the sight glass.

The easiest way to prevent this phenomenon is to crush the light bulb with a pair of pliers:clapping:

I dont know how all of you are checking your oil.

The correct way is......

Park the bike on level ground.
Place the bike on the side stand.
Stand on the right side of the bike.
Grab the throttle and lean the bike to where its center balanced upright.
Check your oil level.

Hey are you sure about this? :ummm:

The owner's manual and the Yamaha service manual both say the same - bike on centre stand..

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 8
Yeah, it's in the service manual. Right behind where it says to cut the swingarm to fit a slick. :rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back