New owner

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanR

Reaction score
HI all, just to introduce myself, almost 51 from Nottingham and finally, after years of wanting a Vmax, I picked mine up at 9am this morning, last bike was a Virago 750 8 years ago and quickly realised that I should had gone for what I really wanted and got rid after a year. Bars now changed to stock as hated what was on. 70 mile ridout today to get back into the saddle and didn't push too hard :). Done 42500k on a 03 plate, FSH and bike is pretty tidy. Scoops could do with tidying so advice appreciated as believe they are alluminium?

Attachments

• Vmax.jpg
    Vmax.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Scoops are aluminium casting with a coating (not entirely sure if anodised or painted), but it is very common for the unpainted half to corrode, actually the same happens to the painted half.

I had this so used wet n dry starting from around 400 to remove the deeper corrosion and scratches working up to 1000 grade.

Then I used a polishing mop with paste for a mirror like finish.

To prevent corrosion in the future, I sprayed them with clear lacquer. I stuck on a section of helicopter tape on top of the right hand scoop so that the key fob doesn't damage the surface.

BTW I messed up the black painted lower half by trying to clean them with white spirit, which took the paint off, so had to respray with satin black.

Welcome to things VMax.

Copy this file to your computer, and print-out a copy for your shop use. VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net) Read it front to back. Yearly supplemental updates are in the front, and the appendix has a lot of info like torque values, bolt sizes, cable routing, and electrical schematics.

RaWarrior's questions answered for new owners is a great start to telling you things you need to know.
(104) New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Airplane paint stripper does a good job of finish removal. After that you can polish them and either clear-coat them or keep-up with the polish regimen. I have also used a spray paint used for aluminum castings which has a high aluminum solids content, this works well if you have damage to your scoops and you needed to repair them. Example below.

VMax scoop silver paint.jpg

Looks like you have R1 calipers in front, remove a pad, look on the back and see if you have HH composition brake pads, that is a good friction compound. Adding stainless-steel brake lines in-front also improves braking, it's hard to tell from the pic if you have them or not, as you can buy 'em with colored sleeves over the SS.

If you haven't yet, open the master cylinders and inspect the fluid. It should be near-colorless, if it's 'dirty,' do your brakes & hydraulic clutch a favor and do a complete removal/replacement of DOT 4 brake fluid. I recommend a 'reverse-flush/reverse-bleed.' I find it to be a quick, efficient way to get the air bubbles out of the brake and clutch lines. It can be a bit messy, so have some solvent in a spray bottle or brake cleaner in an aerosol to remove brake fluid spills before your paint is damaged. Directions for making a reverse-flush tool and the process to be done are also found here. (104) Clutch slave cylinder replacement | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

VMax clutch bleed.01.jpgVMax clutch bleed.02 - Copy.jpgVMax clutch bleed.03.jpg

Last edited:
I would go along with the paint stripper route. You will find that the un corroded metal underneath will be in good condition.

When attending to the corroded parts start with a fine grit paper first; that will put in fewer scratches than a coarser grit which will mean less work to remove them. If the fine grit doesn't do the job you can always go a grade coarser. If you are going to re-paint the top half use an etch primer (thin coat) to get a good base to work on.
The corrosion under the lacquer happens when it is chipped which allows water to get in.
On that basis unless you intend to ride the bike all year round I'd keep the shiney bit in bare metal - a quick buff up occasionally will keep it looking good.

HI all, just to introduce myself, almost 51 from Nottingham and finally, after years of wanting a Vmax, I picked mine up at 9am this morning, last bike was a Virago 750 8 years ago and quickly realised that I should had gone for what I really wanted and got rid after a year. Bars now changed to stock as hated what was on. 70 mile ridout today to get back into the saddle and didn't push too hard :). Done 42500k on a 03 plate, FSH and bike is pretty tidy. Scoops could do with tidying so advice appreciated as believe they are alluminium?
Nice bike buddy

Latest posts

Back